Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sean McC, I’m sure you will enjoy that 950 fill every time you pack it up and carry it on your back. I’m in Oregon too so here is a mantra for you, “At least it isn’t Seattle. A least it isn’t Seattle.” (or the San Juan Islands).

I like your price difference decision. I worked my way though college, and when I entered “the real world”’ and got an actual paycheck, I was still very cautious about spending money. When I found myself debating if I should buy a pencil for 27 cents vs 32 cents, I knew I needed a reset. Then I read some guy’s philosophy that if an item cost .0001% of his yearly income or less, he wouldn’t hesitate; he’d just buy it. The actual percent doesn’t matter. Economic times are different now than decades (and decades) ago. But the idea of, “… if the difference between this and that is only X dollars, I’ll get the better one.” - or “just buy it” - is pretty valid. I have friend who spends a lot of time - and stress - worried about getting the “right” thing. Sometimes there is just one “right thing”, but often times it makes little difference the the mistake is what’s colloquially called, “analysis paralysis”.

But now that you mentioned Cuban Fiber - have you read the Cons and well as the Pros on that tarp fabric
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    The quilt showed up last week. And I am happy with it. The quality is clear. I have spent a couple night inside getting it adjusted. A few things really need attention like making sure the tensioning bits do not rub on your face. But yeah. Really nice.

I have done some more reading on UQs and loft loss with down. Looks like it is mostly moisture from myself can cause issues in certain conditions and use. Though it sounds like a lot of this can be alleviated by using a vapor barrier. Which then becomes it’s own hunt for information as while there is a sticky devoted to the topic, there are not really any clear guidelines or buying advice. It is a funny gap. A lot seems to push the VB to what you wear to sleep. And while that makes a lot of sense it seems like there should be a market for a super simple VB that clips on between your hammock and UQ when conditions make it appropriate.

anyway. UGQ gets a thumbs up from me. And I always pack a small space blanket with me in my first aid kit. Though I am thinking about something that would be a cleaner answer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123