Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain

AZ > Looking for a good place to hang

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for places to hang in AZ the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. We recently returned to AZ, and I wanted to take a couple of my kids north to find some trees and spend a night or two. We are going to do the car camping thing, and will be bringing some new gear to test (Tensa Solo stands, new sleeping bags and pads, etc). We have been winter camping all over the country, so we are not afraid of cold or snow. I have heard that Strawberry, Heber, and Overgaard are all pretty nice, but have only driven through a few of those places several years ago. I would appreciate any recommendations and advice on places that are hammock friendly.

Thanks!

Dennis

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    When you say "north" where are you starting from?
    We're in Tucson currently and Mt Lemmon is right here.
    If you're looking to get up above the rim then there are loads of options from Williams east to the White Mtns.

A better idea of what you're after may help.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    When you say "north" where are you starting from?
    We're in Tucson currently and Mt Lemmon is right here.
    If you're looking to get up above the rim then there are loads of options from Williams east to the White Mtns.

A better idea of what you're after may help.
    We are in Gilbert. I was thinking the White Mountains. Some place within 2-3 hour drive. Thanks!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Fan View Post
    We are in Gilbert. I was thinking the White Mountains. Some place within 2-3 hour drive. Thanks!
    If you are only going to do a couple nights, and are just looking for one location to camp, I'd probably stop short of the Whites and go to Mt Graham.

If I was going to do a rolling camp where I was in a different spot every night, or two, and was going to spend a few more nights out. I'd go on from Graham to the Whites (but prepare for the drive through the ecological disaster of Morenci),
    then out the north end of the Whites and over towards Show Low before crossing the Salt River canyon (beautiful!) and coming back into Globe.
    At that point I stop by Oak Flats (not the best w/o some kind of stands, but "one tree" hangs would be possible) and give some encouragement to the Apache that are trying to stop a mining company from turning that area into another pit.
    From there it's just an easy drive home.

This was from Mt Graham earlier this year when we were up there doing some trail work.

Images
    2-Hour drive from your spot is Mogollon Rim (87 North and 260 East).

https://www.visitarizona.com/places/.../mogollon-rim/

Trees are not a problem as camping is allowed. Not sure about the past fires, call ahead and dispersed camping is allowed as are personal safety devices.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Thanks for the recommendations! Hope to catch up to or meet folks this spring. Have a blessed holiday season!

Hammock
    tablecloth for now
    Tarp
    Harbor Freight
    Insulation
    Blue Foam
    Suspension
    Web & Mule Tape
    Lots of places on the 300 line road along the rim above Payson - bring your own water. There are even places with provided pit stops. It's windy right on the rim so you might want to take a spur road back a bit.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I like the Mogollon Rim area along Rim Rd (FR 300) North of the AZ-260 junction. I camped up there about two weeks ago and it was pretty deserted. It looks like the Forest Service policed the trash from most of the dispersed camping sites. It got down to ~33° around midnight and then warmed up to the mid 40° range when some clouds rolled in. FR 9350 campground (34.34013, -110.98238) was open with several campers. It is FR 9350 CG right on the rim so it can be very cold and windy this time of the year. FR 195 campground (34.34324, -110.96713) has some sites suitable for hammocks. It is geared more for large RV's and has a lots of tore up ground.

I prefer FR 169 Rd. There are some decent sites just North of the FR 117 / FR 169 junction on FR 117 (34.38206, -110.96421) . FR 117 gets pretty crowded with the RV/ATV crowd and a bit noisy. Head North East on FR 169 about 5 or 6 miles and there are a number of nice sites (34.43400, -110.89284) just before the FR 100 junction. Further on there are some nice sites (34.44217, -110.87677) if you head West on FR 119.

Another option that is closer and lower elevation would be North of Cave Creek/Carefree on N Seven Springs Rd to the CCC CG / Cave Creek Group CG area. There is dispersed camping along FR 32061 just past the Group CG entrance (33.97630, -111.86730). It is along Cave Creek Wash and has Pinyon Pines and Sycamore trees. It would probably be viable during the week. The CCC CG is another option but it is pretty torn up by our heavy monsoon rains and resulting floods. The kids may like visiting the Sears Kay Ruins which are along N Seven Springs Rd a bit past the golf course. The Sears-Kay Ruin are the remains of what once was a fortification of the Hohokam culture.
    Last edited by Ithica; 12-16-2021 at 19:28.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithica View Post
    I like the Mogollon Rim area along Rim Rd (FR-300) North of the AZ-260 junction. I camped up there about two weeks ago and it was pretty deserted. It looks like the Forest Service policed the trash from most of the dispersed camping sites. It got down to ~33° around midnight and then warmed up to the mid 40° range when some clouds rolled in. FR 9350 campground (34.34013, -110.98238) was open with several campers. It is FR 9350 CG right on the rim so it can be very cold and windy this time of the year. FR 195 campground (34.34324, -110.96713) has some sites suitable for hammocks. It is geared more for large RV's and has a lots of tore up ground.

I prefer FR 169 Rd. There are some decent sites just North of the FR 117 / FR 169 junction on FR 117 (34.38206, -110.96421) . FR 117 gets pretty crowded with the RV/ATV crowd and a bit noisy. Head North East on FR 169 about 5 or 6 miles and there are a number of nice sites (34.43400, -110.89284) just before the FR 100 junction. Further on there are some nice sites (34.44217, -110.87677) if you head West on FR 119.

Another option that is closer and lower elevation would be North of Cave Creek/Carefree on N Seven Springs Rd to the CCC CG / Cave Creek Group CG area. There is dispersed camping along FR 32061 just past the Group CG entrance (33.97630, -111.86730). It is along Cave Creek Wash and has Pinyon Pines and Sycamore trees. It would probably be viable during the week. The CCC CG is another option but it is pretty torn up by our heavy monsoon rains and resulting floods.
    Quality info!

Hammock
    Onewind Double Hammock
    Tarp
    C Gorilla Fortres2
    Insulation
    Down Under | Upper
    Suspension
    1/8 Amsteel Whoopy
    Images
    I like Marshall Lake, there are quite a few places around Flagstaff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast