Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki

Missouri Frozen Butt Hang 2021

Let’s keep the tradition going. I’ve enjoyed the two FBHs I’ve attended and have a suggestion for a 2021 event. I maintain a section of the Ozark Trail on Peck Ranch and believe the area would be great for a 2021 MO FBH. My suggestion would be to camp at Peck Ranch in the Pine Loop Campground on Friday night, January 7, then drive up the hill to the OT trailhead and walk down the north fence road to where the Ozark Trail joins the road, then crosses Rogers Creek to ascend to the primary bald on Stegall Mountain (about 3 miles) to camp atop Stegall Mountain Saturday night, January 8. The sunset and sunrise view from Stegall can be special and the bald itself is a gem. For any not wanting to hike the 3 miles (500 ft climb), the bald can be reached by driving to the fire tower gate parking lot just off the hill at the fire tower, and walking 1 mile on a forest road to the hilltop where the OT comes into the bald (about 120 ft climb) on a good condition forest road.

We would have a potluck supper Friday with everyone bringing their Saturday and Sunday food. I will have firewood at both locations (staff prefers local wood and they approved my cutting any wood I choose on Peck), plus I will cache some water at the camp site above the bald for Saturday and Sunday (amount to be determined). I will attach some pictures. The Pine Loop is CG is a 3 acre ML pine grove with a pit toilet. There is artesian well/spring water available at the well house and at a faucet at the maintenance building. For years the staff and public used the water as the sole water source but stopped a few years ago when the water became cloudy. Water is now labeled and recommended not to be potable. It is clear and a great source for water for boiling or for treating. The Stegall Bald is a sensitive ecological area and we will use it accordingly by camping in the woods above the bald and having our fire in the woods rather than on the bald itself.

If you are interested and like the idea please reply and we can continue further with planning and logistics. Hope to hear from my hanging friends and see you all again. I attended the last Taum Sauk hang and the Devils Den hang. Directions will be given if there is interest and we decide to hang on Stegall Mountain.

Joe Beussink
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-15-2021 at 06:29. Reason: correct spelling

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Stegal%20West%202%20am%20adj.jpg Stegall west side of bald looking NW

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    thumbnail-6.jpeg. Pine Loop CG

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    121140432_10219054466448334_4236829270010013706_n.jpg Photo credit Heather Smith as posted at Ozark Trail Section Hikers and Backpackers Facebook Group (view to west I believe). We will be camping in the woods to the right, north of and above the bald.
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-15-2021 at 06:14.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    121164410_10219054465088300_4552630927436875116_n.jpg Stegall looking east. Photo credit Heather Smith as posted on OTSHAB FB Group.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    This sounds like a great option for the 6th annual Missouri Frozen Butt Hang. I've checked the forum several times in the last month hoping someone would post something on this topic, so thank you runners_low for breaking the ice! I've hiked the Ozark Trail across Stegall Mountain twice in years past and camped up there once... the views from the top are quite impressive as you can see in the pictures above. I've never been to the fire tower, so that should be interesting. I can bring some firewood along with a pot of chili and fixins for Friday night. Looking forward to seeing some of the old crew and meeting some new folks. The local weather has been unseasonably mild so it seems unlikely we'll get any really cold temps, but I'm in regardless of what old man winter decides to do for that weekend. Last year was a light turnout on account of a snowstorm making for some hazardous driving conditions, so hopefully that won't be a factor for this year's event. Thanks again to runners_low for taking the time to come up with a plan. -20

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    I requested info on the road from the fire tower to the bald on the OT FB group and received info concerning it and concerns about the bald ecosystem. I cleared the plans with the Peck Ranch Superintendent and they are good with it. If we have more than 10 attending we will need a special use permit and that procedure has begun. In addition they understand I will clear the area post hang to return to LNT condition. There are two small fire rings at the mountain site which I will dismantle if requested to do so. In addition we will respect the bald ecosystem, with most activity occurring above it in the woods. I hiked the road Tuesday and it is an easy walk on an easy to follow road, slightly less than one mile. There is a second lesser road turning to the left about half way so stay to the right at the intersection.

The parking space is outside the swinging steel gates (which were open Thursday) with space for at least 4 cars and more if parked carefully. The road itself is just inside the gate turning right about 20 yards beyond. The fire tower is not fenced and it can be climbed to a landing just below the enclosed platform for a great view. Stegall Mountain has a series of peaks and lesser bands on most of its SW facing tops. If anyone wants to brush-whack Sunday, the mountain top is about 2 miles long from the bald at the SE to 3 high spots toward the NW with the fire tower in the center high point. The access road to the tower is paved and in good condition.
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-15-2021 at 06:56.

Hammock
    12' DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    12' Warbonnet Thun
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B
    Sounds like an excellent location/plan. I'd absolutely be there if I didn't have my kids that weekend.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Very cool. I used to help maintain those trails, back when hardly anyone hiked them. Also, I remember when you could strike up a conversation with someone in a hammock,. Now, everyone hammocks, so other hammockers aren't quite as friendly if you ask about their gear.

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Got a gift card for Christmas, and ordered a new underquilt, so I will try my best to be there on the 7th as long as it comes in time (current setup not enough for mid-teens *F).
    I expect it to be since it’s in stock and I paid for 3 day shipping.
    Bit over a five hour drive from the KC area it looks like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast