Tarp
    DD 3x3 or DIY
    Insulation
    TQ Thermarest down
    Suspension
    Various dyneema
    Images

Shout out to Jellyfish and Nature Calls Outdoors

I've just completed my first sewing projects of an 11' (almost) 1oz HyperD hammock with ziptie gathered ends, and a cat-cut tarp as per Jellyfish's videos.

My sewing wasn't perfect but I'm more than happy with the results and the few minutes I managed in the hammock so far were super comfy.

I'm so greatefull for the content that Jellyfish and Nature Calls Outdoors puts out there on YouTube, I certainly found it inspiring enough to have a go myself. I did come across quite a few other videos and content creators but again and again I found myself back watching these guys, and following along with Jellyfish made the project so simple.

For the rolled hem I just couldn't get the rolled hem foot going (think the only one I have is too narrow - 1/8" rather than 1/4") but N.C.O. convinced me to just do it by hand without all the pins - folding as you go - and I found it to be a doddle; to my standards at least! I even managed to knock up a couple of stuff sacks following the round bottom bag videos and competed both with only one massive pucker in the stitches, so I'm calling that a win.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work,

Stan

ps, forgive the suspension and 'tent pegs', it was all I could find lying around at work for test purposes

Looks nice.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Lookin' good.

I couldn't get the hang of the rolled hem foot either & wound up rolling the hem by hand like you did. I also had some back & forth with Jellyfish for some pointers on completing my tarp & watched a number of her videos. Now you just need to get out in the woods to try out your setup!

Hammock
    DIY 1oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 or DIY
    Insulation
    TQ Thermarest down
    Suspension
    Various dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Now you just need to get out in the woods to try out your setup!
    I hear you! I'm excited to get out there but need to figure out some bottom insulation first as it will be colder than pictured when I get home. I'm hoping to get away with an old sleeping bag in one of those cheap netting hammocks hung under my own hammock for some back-yard testing

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Looks great and I love the pattern on the tarp! Nothing like having gear you made yourself! My non-camping hammock is a DIY and it just makes me happy every time I get to hang in it! You can DIY an underquilt with some Climashield and light weight calendared material, pretty easily.

Hammock
    DIY 1oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 or DIY
    Insulation
    TQ Thermarest down
    Suspension
    Various dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    You can DIY an underquilt with some Climashield and light weight calendared material, pretty easily.
    You read my mind! I was just doing some reading around down vs Climashield and trying to figure out which way to go. I've got a nice Thermarest down top quilt, but I'd rather DIY an underquilt (much more satisfying). Since it's never that cold in the UK I'm thinking to go with the Climashield. Thanks for the tip, what material did you go for?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lovely project. Good work, StanTrodd. And thanks for acknowledging the people who got you inspired. I've seen Jellyfish's videos before but I'm new to Nature Calls Outdoors, thanks for the new resources!
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

• + New Posts