full or half length snakes?

Tarp is a Hennesy hex, planning on using a CRL, tarp hung on prusiks and shackles of some sort. Mild weather camping. I can see the advantages of both 1/2 and full length skins, but would love input from users of both styles, pros and cons. tanks in advance, tk. ps no long packing, lol
    Last edited by tomykay12; 12-11-2021 at 21:22.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I started out w/ some of Hennessy's two piece ones and quickly went to a one piece mesh for my tarp. I felt like it was a bit of a pain to try pulling two of them together, dealing w/ the extra that you end up w/ in the middle, and then making them overlap.

Soon after I had SLD make us some waterproof one piece"Catch Alls" for hammocks and quilts together.
    I don't pack the quilts w/ the hammock but I will skin it, and the tarp, during the day if we are multi day camping and leave for a hike/paddle/ride.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Used both and prefer full sleeves. I just don't see any advantages from two piece skins that outweigh the ease and simplicity of a single full skin. My skins are mesh, tarps are silpoly and I deal with abusive rain more than excessive winds.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I prefer the two-piece snakeskins. Can't quite see the advantage of a one-piece skin.

Then again, I've always rolled my tarp up with the guylines inside. It makes it easier if you can roll one end of the tarp, then skin it, then do the other end same way, especially in high winds. I just can't imagine doing it with a single snakeskin.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-12-2021 at 01:24.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    and so it goes...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    and so it goes...
    I prefer Pepsi

To @tomykay12 - I have both, and both work well. I leave ropes attached to my tarp corners to tie it out on both setups, and usually flip the bottom of my tarp up onto the ridgeline so it's half height.
    Since I had both I had to pick one (and hand one down to one of the kids), I ended up staying with the one-piece. For me, when I get the sleeve going, it goes well and I don't want to stop half way. It makes more sense to me to attach one side of my ridgeline to a tree, walk to the other and attach the other side, and de-skin it on the way back to the first tree.
    I think the one piece is easier if you have a lighter material tarp. The two piece is easier if you have a heavier tarp, IMO. My son has the FreeSoldier tarp from Amazon and I think the two-piece is easier on that one. On my Warbonnet SuperFly, the one-piece is a breeze to run it up into.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I used two piece - switched over to one piece - and am now considering two piece again. It is less fuss, with one skin, not two worry about the potential bubble in the middle. But there’s a lot of length to pull over the tarp. I find myself having go back to the end and “milk” the skin closer to the end of the tarp so skin extends to the far end. With two pieces, AS LONG AS I WRAP THE TARP TIGHTLY, it is quicker to slide them on/off. But you know, speed isn’t always the objective. Pah-tate-toe, Pah-taut-toe.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-14-2021 at 16:43.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I started out using two piece skins, but once I tried my first one piece skin, I was hooked.
    I also prefer my one piece skin to be made out of mesh (much easier to work with than silnylon) and to be about an inch or so longer than the tarp and not overly snug on the "start" end, so there is no fiddling like it sounds Cougarmeat is stuck doing.

I've delegated my two piece skins to my lesser used tarps. My favorite tarps all now sport one piece mesh skins. The one piece ones are just so much faster to take down and put up IMHO. No fiddling at the middle required. Unlike SilvrSurfr, I don't roll my tarps at all. My guylines are attached to my titanium nails, rather than hanging off the tarp, so nothing to worry about tangling. I just start at one end and slide the skin ninety-to-nothing over the tarp, letting the skin suck the tarp up as it goes. Couldn't be quicker or simpler.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've only ever tried the one-piece design so can't speak to the two piece, but my guess is 80% or more of what people are actually using on the trail have the one-piece design. At least that's my experience.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I have found the one piece so easy - I kinda roll the tarp toward the RL and slide the sleeve as I go. Didn't like the two-piece for the bubble.

• + New Posts