Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear

Which knot do I use to attach a carabiner to a tarp?

Hi, I’ve had a Hennessy for years, but only used it to camp a couple of times because I could never figure out how to get insulation under me that worked. It was nice, and comfortable, but I spent most of my nights in my tent.

During the recent Hammock Gear sale, I saw their Wanderlust Kit, and that it had an underquilt included, and required no knots. I now have a glorious set up, but I realized I wanted doors, so I ordered the tarp with doors. That didn’t come with any cords attached, like the kit did, so I ordered yards and yards of reflective cord, and I had some reflective bungee cord from Dutchware gear, and I got the version of the tarp with linelocs, so I couldn’t have to fuss with knots. I am now trying to set up all the cords. I have 4-6 foot cords on the pull-outs at the bottom, and two 12 foot cords on either end of the ridge line, but to avoid the knots, I have to attach the two little titanium carabiners to the ridge line cord. I do that with, gasp, a knot. I’m looking at a variety of knots starting on page 192 of the Ultimate Hang (2nd edition), which is prefaced by a statement that the author loved tying knots in the Boy Scouts. I wasn’t a Boy Scout. I’m female, was neither a Boy or Girl Scout, and I don’t know knots. I know the knot our gym teacher taught us in 3rd grade, to tie our gym shoes together so that we could get the knots undone and put on our shoes. That’s “Mr. Hansen’s Knot.” I also know the granny knot, and I know how to put about four extra grannie’s in the granny knot. That’s about it. I don’t think those are going to work for the carabiner on my tarp. What knot do I need? I think I want to tie it on once, and just use it. The carabiner is small and has an eye that the cord should tie to. I don’t want to risk losing the carabiner, as they’re kind of pricy. In looking at the pictures and the descriptions in the book, I have tentatively tied it on with the Clove Hitch with a tail, as it has “extra security.” Help! (Use little words.)

Also, I watched Shug’s series on beginning hammocking. He said someone had said to use bungee cord on the pull outs. I have reflective bungee cord, and would be happy to use it, but approximately how long do I make the cords for the pull outs. While I’m asking, what knot should I use to tie those on? (I’ll have to double check, they may have linelocs, too.).

Thank you for your help. Pringles

Use a figure of eight knot through the eye. The knot looks exactly as its name suggests. Here's how to tie it - https://www.animatedknots.com/figure...ough-loop-knot

Normally you want to use a knot that is easily undone but attaching to a captive eye is one of the exceptions.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Can’t you just put an overhand loop knot at the end of your cords and larks head them on to whatever you want them on? Or just hook the biner to the ridge line loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thank you for the answers. I'll go look at the images of the knots and see if I can make it work. On a happy note, I took the hammock and the underquilt to the local kiddie park and set it up and at 40*, I was not cold. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    I used the directions for the figure of eight knot and got the carabiners tied in. My knot isn't as elegant lookng as the diagram, but it looks pretty good, and it seems to hold nicely. Thank you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I like a Double Fisherman's knot. It's a self cinching knot which means it will tighten down around your biner or whatever it's tied around not allowing it to slip off if your biner becomes open. I come from an arborist background so I'm already set in my ways when it comes to knots. Everything I use has to be life support. The double fishermans isn't the easiest to untie after loaded heavily. But you can open the biner and slip it off. I like it on shock cord because you can adjust it meaning it will hold itself wherever you put it. You can tighten it down around a biner or pull it backwards and take up slack and shorten your line and it will hold.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjo75 View Post
    I like a Double Fisherman's knot. It's a self cinching knot which means it will tighten down around your biner or whatever it's tied around not allowing it to slip off if your biner becomes open. I come from an arborist background so I'm already set in my ways when it comes to knots. Everything I use has to be life support. The double fishermans isn't the easiest to untie after loaded heavily. But you can open the biner and slip it off. I like it on shock cord because you can adjust it meaning it will hold itself wherever you put it. You can tighten it down around a biner or pull it backwards and take up slack and shorten your line and it will hold.
    When I heard 'biner I had the same idea... just clip it into the grosgrian loops or D-rings.

But I think the hardware in question is the one below, which is going to need some cordage tied into the closed eye.

However, I do love the double fisherman's for making loops and such... it's not coming loose on ya!

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    It is the carabiner in the picture. I'll have to look up the double fisherman's, but I'm thinking that's the knot my dad tried to teach me to tie on hooks, long ago. It didn't go so well. He wasn't mad, but he was frustrated. Maybe I should go out and look for a boy scout. But seriously, the figure 8 knot looks like it isn't going anywhere. Maybe I'm too trusting. And, there are no D rings, when I ordered the lineloc version, it came with linelocs sewn in, where D rings would be. Thank you.

Images
    Hammock .jpg

Click the above image thrice, to view details of rigging.

Myerstech @ Etsy 1/8th dyneema soft shackle to replace carabiners, no metal to metal or metal to straps.

Dutchware Glow-in-the-Dark Reflective shock cord to attach to tarp tie-outs (imagine the Red shackle is a tarp tie-out).

Dutchware Thinna Cord Locks secure shock cord into loop configuration with tidy appearance.

Military Easton 12-inch stakes - sandy soils, they do not bend or break.

Dutchware Aluminum Ringworms attached to Zing-It tie outs which keeps things tidy. Stakes and tie-outs stay together, no tangles. No need to attach tie outs to various shelters (MSR Twin Brothers, Robens Green Castle, Six Moon Designs Haven Tent, Shiftpod, etc...

Ringworm-Collector-Card (2).jpg

Yellow Zing-It with buried loop to attach to stake head, Dutch will make to custom lenghts or just buy Zing-It and DIY.

The soft shackles eliminate metal carabiners which chafe dyneema and other tree attachments.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 12-12-2021 at 13:44.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thank you Joe_Guilbeau. I appreciate your help. I have Dutch's reflective shock cord... how long should I make them for the tie outs?

Pringles

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast