Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    https://youtu.be/zASBFEG0r6Q

This channel is a very good source for knots.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thank you Benjo75.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATPringles View Post
    Thank you Joe Guilbeau. I appreciate your help. I have Dutch's reflective shock cord... how long should I make them for the tie outs?

Pringles
    I use 12-inch lengths, to give a 5 5/8ths inch loop. They will stretch to 10-inches. Nighttime green glow is impressive.

Cut the 1-foot lengths and push them through to two holes, then use a butane lighter to seal the ends, then press in with the top cap. This insures that the ends will not slip through the two holes. If you burn the ends before inserting, then there is a possibility that slippage will occur over time, and pull-through of the ends is possible.

What can go wrong, will go wrong.

What if-if then-then what? Words to live by.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I’d use an anchor hitch:

https://youtu.be/VQh6agmWpE8

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Anchor hitch is very good. And easier to untie.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thanks for the responses. I think the variety of answers shows why I found the “kit” appealing. All the kit materials came cut and attached and ready to go. Then, I decided I needed doors and suddenly… knots and options. I really like how easy it is to set up the tarp, though, and now think I’ll carry a little tarp to use at the camp kitchen.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATPringles View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I think the variety of answers shows why I found the “kit” appealing. All the kit materials came cut and attached and ready to go. Then, I decided I needed doors and suddenly… knots and options. I really like how easy it is to set up the tarp, though, and now think I’ll carry a little tarp to use at the camp kitchen.
    I realize that many people are intimidated by knots. And IMO many folks employ knots that are more complicated than necessary for various tasks. For instance, a lot of times we see a bowline—which is a great knot—used to make a loop when a simple overhand is totally adequate in many instances.

Over the years I've tried to come up with a 'repertoire' of the simplest knots on Earth that will work for a wide variety of tasks and recently I did a little video to demonstrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbcMPULvtzY&t=445s

If you still don't want to use knots that's fine, but there is a certain freedom that comes with knots because hardware is not always available for every job, and there are many other tasks around camp for which tying a quick knot is so darn handy... much easier to put up a clothesline with a couple of midshipman's hitches than to rig up a couple of bits of titanium bling which you probably don't have on hand anyway!

But knots do require a cord that holds knots well. Zing-it and Lash-it and some other UHMWPE cords are very popular but are not the best for all knots, certainly not adjustable friction hitches. I use Lawson cord—Glowire, Guywire and Ironwire—for all guylines and ridgelines because it holds all knots well and is tangle resistant and easy handling.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Which knot do I use to attach a carabiner to a tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I realize that many people are intimidated by knots. And IMO many folks employ knots that are more complicated than necessary for various tasks. For instance, a lot of times we see a bowline—which is a great knot—used to make a loop when a simple overhand is totally adequate in many instances.

Over the years I've tried to come up with a 'repertoire' of the simplest knots on Earth that will work for a wide variety of tasks and recently I did a little video to demonstrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbcMPULvtzY&t=445s

If you still don't want to use knots that's fine, but there is a certain freedom that comes with knots because hardware is not always available for every job, and there are many other tasks around camp for which tying a quick knot is so darn handy... much easier to put up a clothesline with a couple of midshipman's hitches than to rig up a couple of bits of titanium bling which you probably don't have on hand anyway!

But knots do require a cord that holds knots well. Zing-it and Lash-it and some other UHMWPE cords are very popular but are not the best for all knots, certainly not adjustable friction hitches. I use Lawson cord—Glowire, Guywire and Ironwire—for all guylines and ridgelines because it holds all knots well and is tangle resistant and easy handling.
    And just remember, if you can’t tie knots, tie lots!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    When learning new knots it helps to tie them repeatedly while watching TV, gradually letting the visual take a backseat to the tactile. After all, when we tie our shoes with a double-slipped reef knot--which most us learned when we were 4-5 years old--we don't even think about it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-17-2021 at 19:47.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    I like the Simplest Knots on Earth idea, and when you can’t tie knots, tie lots. But this is kind of why I abandoned my Hennessey so long ago. Too many choices, and I just wanted to attach a piece of cord to a tarp (although at that time, it was that I wanted an underquilt for the bottom entry hammock).

I just went to the local park and put up my hammock and adjusted it by getting in and out a few times. It felt pretty good, but was a bit chilly. It was 39*. So I attached the underquilt and then put up the tarp and staked it down. I got in and adjusted the underquilt. It felt warm. The neighbors probably are assured that I’m nuts, but fairly harmless. The dog that came by wasn’t so sure. I finally pulled out the top quilt, and got in. I was never cold, I was rarely even chilly. I don’t feel very brave wiggling around to zip the mosquito netting, which is waaaaaay uppppp theeeeeeere, but I got that done. Having he mosquito netting closed cut a good deal of breeze. Then I was a little reluctant to wiggle around to flatten out. I know I wasn’t lined up 12 and 6, maybe 12:30 and 6:30? I wasn’t very flat. I was, however, pretty warm. I stayed in the hammock for about 35 minutes, deemed it a success, and took things down. I think I need to find a hang, but I haven’t seen anything very near to me. I’ll keep looking. (Anybody coming to Yellowstone?). Anyway, thank you everyone for your help. I will likely continue to make forays to the local park, but I know I’m going to take the whole kit and kaboodle backpacking some this summer. It’s kind of nice learning right now, when it’s cold enough to see if I’m really getting things right, rather than making unpleasant discoveries on the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast