SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain

Garage Sale Stand

So a guy walks into a garage sale and asks...

A couple of weeks ago the Love of My Life and I are out scouring the local garage sales for buried treasures. We are not finding much when we stop at one house and I notice an old hammock and stand on the back porch. I knew I had an upcoming cub scout camp out with my son coming up, and had been concerned about the lack of trees at the location. When I asked the guy if the stand was for sale, he said I could have it for $20. I went home and grabbed my wrenches, then disassembled it enough to throw it in the minivan. To test it, I threw my WBBB and had the kiddos give it a try. It was nice and sturdy, so I climbed it to see if I would bottom out. I had a good amount of clearance, so I grabbed some stain and water seal from the local Home Depot and gave it a new coat. We loaded up our gear and headed to the Frazier Group Campsite at Roosevelt Lake. I found a good tree to attach one end of my son's HH Scout and attached the other end to my stand. Then I added my BB. When he entered his hammock, he tipped the stand and went to the ground, so I had him load in first, then got in my hammock. Once in my hammock, he lifted of the ground to just the right height. I made sure he had a CCF pad in the hammock and on the ground if/when nature called. We had a great night under the stars.

This is definitely a van camping option only, as it is very heavy and bulky. I ordered two Tensa Solos today, so this may end up as just a Saturday lounger or gear testing station. Regardless, for $25 and a little elbow grease it did the job and got us back in the swing of things.

Boston Fan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty sweet find! That looks like it'll be nice backyard lounger... I think you're right about not dragging it around too much

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I won't be as unkind as to mention what I paid for a couple of portable steel hammock stands at the local building materials recycling center.

I will be kind enough to say with out a doubt that is a real pretty and cool looking design.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    Awesome. Glad to hear y'all had a nice hang. Question for you. That stand fit a full 11" hammock with the proper angle of the dangle?

Been eyeballing a new stand for indoors and that one has a nice style to it.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJew View Post
    Awesome. Glad to hear y'all had a nice hang. Question for you. That stand fit a full 11" hammock with the proper angle of the dangle?

Been eyeballing a new stand for indoors and that one has a nice style to it.

Fuzzy,
    After a few more experiments using the stand, I would not recommend it for a full 11 ft hammock outdoors. I could not give it the proper hangle because I had to keep clearance below the hammock to not to hit the stand. The curved bottom is 6 inches from the ground which robs me of additional leeway. When I add my UQ and load my 240 pounds in it, I have to be careful it doesn't rub. As an indoor stand it might work as long as you factor in those variables. The span from eye bolt to eye bolt is just over 12 feet.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Fan View Post
    Fuzzy,
    After a few more experiments using the stand, I would not recommend it for a full 11 ft hammock outdoors. I could not give it the proper hangle because I had to keep clearance below the hammock to not to hit the stand. The curved bottom is 6 inches from the ground which robs me of additional leeway. When I add my UQ and load my 240 pounds in it, I have to be careful it doesn't rub. As an indoor stand it might work as long as you factor in those variables. The span from eye bolt to eye bolt is just over 12 feet.
    Sounds like it could be promising for a 10 footer. The search continues. Thanks, Boston Fan (go Bruins!).
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJew View Post
    Sounds like it could be promising for a 10 footer. The search continues. Thanks, Boston Fan (go Bruins!).
    As I was thinking through it, one thing I had not considered was creating extensions to the bowed arms to increase the height. They currently top out at 56 inches. If you added a steel cap or some other form of extension it may get you to where you want to be. I may fool around with that and will let you know if it works out.

Go Bruins!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Boston Fan, if you are thinking of adding to it, you might consider something that looks like a Viking Shield to hang off the side of one of the ends. You know, just for looks.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Boston Fan, if you are thinking of adding to it, you might consider something that looks like a Viking Shield to hang off the side of one of the ends. You know, just for looks.
    OMG, that is awesome and hilarious at the same time! Now I am thinking of a tan tarp with shields painted on the sides as well. Or going full Pirates of the Caribbean with shark teeth on the front and a pirate flag on the back! Thanks Cougarmeat!

• + New Posts