Hammock Gear Circadian bugnet hammo
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 40
    Suspension
    HG Ultralight tree

Temp Ratings for HG Underquilts?

I'm thinking about a new underquilt, and since I have the HG hammock with net, and the HG tarp, I'm leaning towards the HG UQ. Can anyone tell me of the temp ratings are truly more like a comfort rating or more like a survival rating? I am well aware that there are many variables to consider, but as a general trend, if I were camping in 25 degrees, would a 20 degree HG UQ keep me warm, or just keep me alive?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally subscribe to the idea that one should always have a 10 degree buffer between the quilt rating, and the actual temps you might face. So, for example, I don't use my 20* HG Phoenix below a projected 30* low temp.

And that's a bit dicey, because "projected lows" aren't necessarily reflective of actual lows. I once went to a group hang where the "projected low" was 18* F, but the actual low was -3* F. Thank goodness I was car camping and had brought extra quilts so I doubled up.

Last weekend I went out and the projected low was 29* F, but I figured that the Weather Channel didn't know what they were talking about so I brought my 0* quilts. It turned out that the actual low was 31* F, so I would have been fine with my 20* HG quilts. But you never know!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hooper, I see you haven’t posted much so welcome to the forum. You are on the theoretical temperature edge for me. Like SilvrSurfr, I want a 10 degree cushion. BUT - if I had an UQP, or a tarp with doors, or some ReflexIt, and I didn’t have a choice … or better yet, if it were a multi-day trip and only one of those days was going to get down to 25, then I’d consider the 20° UQ instead of dropping down to a 0° model.

These days I’m going back and forth with Warbonnet’s offerings. I’m looking at Wookies and instead of the usual 0° AND 20° divisions, I could go 10° and 30° which might better cover the seasonal range (I hear things are getting warmer. Maybe it’s a hoax. Maybe my outdoor thermometer that said it was 72° (in DECEMBER!, in BEND!!) was broken.

The only thing I can recommend is to try it out at home. In another thread there’s a discussion about Min/Max camping thermometers. They are handy because you can clip one outside your hammock and see what the min temperature was during the night. Then you will know how well your quilts kept you warm.

At this time of year, I always have something for my head - a down hood or lighter balclava. It helps a lot, espcially if I want to pull the balaclava over my cold little nose.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I have to agree with silvr and others about maintaining a buffer for when, not if, the forecast is wrong. It happens all the time. That said I’ve found the HG ratings to be pretty close to reality for a comfortable sleep, not just a survival mode and I sleep cold. As cougarmeat mentioned there are things like UQP and tarp doors to help mitigate other variables. In my experience add in some wind and a less than perfect set up and you’ll wish for more insulation for sure. In a perfect situation the HG ratings are right on but throw in some unknown unknowns and it’s really nice to have a buffer.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'd go so far to say that most if not all HF cottage vendors providing quality insulation are running comfort factor ratings. JRBs come 15% OS

Thanks guys
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I'd go so far to say that most if not all HF cottage vendors providing quality insulation are running comfort factor ratings. JRBs come 15% OS

Thanks guys
    I agree, and safe to say all the usual hammock vendors on HF. None of them want folks spreading the word that their quilts are not living up to their ratings, or that a particular vendor is getting cute with "survival" ratings in advertising. They just want the darn thing to keep them comfortable at the given rating.

That said, there are very cold natured people who find themselves shivering at 40°F with a 0°F UQ, and a few who are comfortable at 20°F with a 30° UQ. And you might have some idea where you find yourself on that scale. I also noticed in your previous posts that you're brand new to hammocking, and early on some people struggle with getting UQ adjustments dialed in, which can have a huge effect on efficient heat retention.

At one point, one hammock vendor pointed out that nobody ever complains about being too warm, so the 10 degree buffer isn't a bad idea. And this comes from someone who's nearly always comfortable at or a few degrees below the advertised ratings.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    At one point, one hammock vendor pointed out that nobody ever complains about being too warm
    [I raise my hand, both hands!]

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    I'm thinking about a new underquilt, and since I have the HG hammock with net, and the HG tarp, I'm leaning towards the HG UQ. Can anyone tell me of the temp ratings are truly more like a comfort rating or more like a survival rating? I am well aware that there are many variables to consider, but as a general trend, if I were camping in 25 degrees, would a 20 degree HG UQ keep me warm, or just keep me alive?

Thanks!
    To answer your question, the Incubator is comfort-rated. A 20 is designed to keep the average person comfortable at 20 degrees.

As others have shared though, many factors go in to what rating quilt one should choose to go out with. A 10 degree buffer can account for a suboptimal setup, high winds, or cold blood, all of which can lower the 'comfort rating' of any insulation. As far as projected lows, I have not experienced a time when the forecast was off 20 degrees as SS has, but 5 or even 10 degrees probably isn't too abnormal. That being said, the actual low temps are normally only reached for a short period of time right around dawn.

All of this is subjective, and subject to your desired personal comfort level. If you are not seeking to save every ounce in your pack, a lower rated quilt will give you more margin for error, both yours and the weatherman's.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Hammock Gear Circadian bugnet hammo
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 40
    Suspension
    HG Ultralight tree
    Thanks so much, everyone, for your feedback. I appreciate it, and you've helped ease my mind a bit!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I had a 20 degree premium UG incubator as my first UG. I found it too hot for summer weather and quickly bought a 40 degree UQ for summer temps. I continued to use the 20 UQ for my colder trips. I had taken it down to the teens on a few occasions, and even bought a quilt protector to help keep the winds from stealing warmth. Last year I ended up buying a 10 degree quilt and sold my 20 degree quilt. This was mainly because the quilt was being used mostly during the winter and I wanted to be able to stay comfortably warm. On the very few occasions when the temps will drop below the rating for my UQ, I end up bringing both the 40 and 10 and stacking them. However that’s few and far between.
    Long story short, if you plan to use it mainly for cold temps, get a warmer quilt. If you are planning to use it year round the 20 should be fine. I like to sleep holding a blanket/having one cover me. Having a 20 degree for the summer months made it too hot for my comfort.

• + New Posts