Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps

Apex underquilt fabric differential

Just curious if anyone making the RBTR apex underquilt has made the outer shell wider/longer than the inner shell? In reading up on the down quilt calculator, it appears it is important to have a differential so that the insulation is not smashed when the quilt is installed.
    I was wondering if increasing the size of the outer shell by 3" or so would be worth the trouble.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good question. If RBTR is offering this as a kit, they have probably taken that into consideration. My gut response is that 3" is probably not enough, but it depends on the thickness of the insulation.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    You could just plug the quilt info into the calculator and it gives you the final dimensions required

Brian

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    You could just plug the quilt info into the calculator and it gives you the final dimensions required

Brian
    I don't have any spreadsheet programs.

I'm pretty sure that most of the apex under quilt patterns are sewn through. It might be nice to try to keep a bit of loft but I think the general idea is to add more layers of insulation.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I'm pretty sure that most of the apex under quilt patterns are sewn through. It might be nice to try to keep a bit of loft but I think the general idea is to add more layers of insulation.
    They actually have no stitching other than the edges where you tie the fabric and insulation all together. The climashield apex is sold by the yard, and becomes the center of the sandwich, so to speak.
    Climashield 5.0 is rated to 30f, and has a loft of 1.2". I just want to make sure I do not compress the insulation when it is wrapped around the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Just curious if anyone making the RBTR apex underquilt has made the outer shell wider/longer than the inner shell? In reading up on the down quilt calculator, it appears it is important to have a differential so that the insulation is not smashed when the quilt is installed.
    I was wondering if increasing the size of the outer shell by 3" or so would be worth the trouble.
    I made a full length underquilt from the RBTR kit back in, I think, 2016 and still have the instructional PDF I downloaded from the website. From the second page: "Cut your fabric and insulation to 46 by 79 inches for a full length or 46 by 53 inches for a 3/4 length."

My experience with the quilt since that time leads me to say that the APEX 5 temperature rating of 30 degrees F is pretty accurate, though I'd consider that the lowest I'd go using this quilt. I prefer to think of it as good to 35 to give myself a buffer.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    I don't have any spreadsheet programs.
    This thread is worth a read through to understand, but the calculator link is given in post #133 ... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...culator/page14

Brian

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I made a full length underquilt from the RBTR kit back in, I think, 2016 and still have the instructional PDF I downloaded from the website. From the second page: "Cut your fabric and insulation to 46 by 79 inches for a full length or 46 by 53 inches for a 3/4 length."

My experience with the quilt since that time leads me to say that the APEX 5 temperature rating of 30 degrees F is pretty accurate, though I'd consider that the lowest I'd go using this quilt. I prefer to think of it as good to 35 to give myself a buffer.
    Thanks for the reply. I found the pdf of the instructions, and it doesn't mention a differential.
    I am hoping that it will work for me, it looks like a good way to get a decent uq without breaking the bank.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    This thread is worth a read through to understand, but the calculator link is given in post #133 ... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...culator/page14

Brian
    Thanks for that. I may give a down quilt a go after some practice with the machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast