Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images

Who makes full coverage tarp ?

I am sure this has been covered but I'm wanting to make it easy on myself. I was going to have 2QZQ create me a WB Thunderfly with doors for my winter hanging. They told me that they are no longer doing this type of work. SO.... I know the mountainfly by WBO does a good job, and I admit, I have drunk the WBO kool aid and they are pretty much all I utlize. SO... WHO out there makes a full - to the ground... protect from blizzard conditions hammock tarp? Thanks in advance...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Warbonnet Tsunami~~~~https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-coming-soon/
    Reckon no need to use a stove but full cover indeed!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    You know I think I’ve already made up my mind - looks like the WBO SUPERFLY is the ticket - let’s close this post… thanks Shug -

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Bezos: Warbonnet Tsunami
    High roller: Hammockgear DCF Palace
    Midlevel roller: Simply Light Designs Winter Haven
    Low roller: any other tarp with doors hung low

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >protect from blizzard conditions

Bring a small snow shovel and snow saw. The saw isn’t as necessary but makes building a lot easier. Building? Yes, if you are in a blizzard, you are in snow. And if you are in snow, you can use it to build walls a foot thick. That might provide more protection than a thin wall of nylon. I’m not saying you don’t need a tarp. I’m saying you can do the heavy lifting (literally) with the snow to make walls.

Once, around Crater Lake, I had a snow shelter building contest with a friend. He made his in typical igloo style. I wanted to try something different. After smashing down the snow and staying off it for about 10 minutes (to make a quarry of hardened/compressed snow), I cut 3 foot blocks. Putting them at ground level gave me 6 ft walls. I made a small room with snow walls. I interwove tent poles so they looked like # on the roof and laid my tarp over them. This was before my hammock days so I had a bed platform and kitchen area. I even brought some Saran Wrap and a wooden frame an made a window. My mistake of not figuring on the 6 ft high door was solved by draping the tent as a wind block (we always carry a “backup”). I put snow on the roof/tarp to hold it down. But you could still see the tent poles sticking over the roof line.

My friend looked at both structures and said that if anyone came by, they’d think that the shelters were “… built by two master builders. One from Alaska (pointing to his) and one from New Mexico (pointing to mine because it looked like an adobe with the poles sticking out from the roof).

So my point is, you can have a lot of fun making shelters in the snow. Snow walls and berms make great wind blocks.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >protect from blizzard conditions

Bring a small snow shovel and snow saw. The saw isn’t as necessary but makes building a lot easier. Building? Yes, if you are in a blizzard, you are in snow. And if you are in snow, you can use it to build walls a foot thick. That might provide more protection than a thin wall of nylon. I’m not saying you don’t need a tarp. I’m saying you can do the heavy lifting (literally) with the snow to make walls.

Once, around Crater Lake, I had a snow shelter building contest with a friend. He made his in typical igloo style. I wanted to try something different. After smashing down the snow and staying off it for about 10 minutes (to make a quarry of hardened/compressed snow), I cut 3 foot blocks. Putting them at ground level gave me 6 ft walls. I made a small room with snow walls. I interwove tent poles so they looked like # on the roof and laid my tarp over them. This was before my hammock days so I had a bed platform and kitchen area. I even brought some Saran Wrap and a wooden frame an made a window. My mistake of not figuring on the 6 ft high door was solved by draping the tent as a wind block (we always carry a “backup”). I put snow on the roof/tarp to hold it down. But you could still see the tent poles sticking over the roof line.

My friend looked at both structures and said that if anyone came by, they’d think that the shelters were “… built by two master builders. One from Alaska (pointing to his) and one from New Mexico (pointing to mine because it looked like an adobe with the poles sticking out from the roof).

So my point is, you can have a lot of fun making shelters in the snow. Snow walls and berms make great wind blocks.
    pretty much only works if you have show deep enough to make blocks though

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    ME-but only for myself

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    unless you're going to heat it I wouldn't have one that reaches the ground.

and definitely not in a snowstorm: for one thing, the snow is going to naturally build up around the perimeter of your tarp as your tarp sheds snow (and as you knock it off every hour in really heavy snow). trouble is the snow will only slide off and on its own at first. after it starts sticking to the tarp you'll want to knock it off occasionally to keep the weight of the snow from pulling down your tarp.

I use heavy duty ratchet straps which mostly prevents the Ridgeline from sagging too far... trouble is, it doesn't do anything for the SIDES of the tarp. As the snow builds up on your tarp, the sides will begin swinging in under the weight. in that situation if you fall asleep, and the tarp holds up through the night, you could wake up to find yourself sandwiched. if you're not using ratchet straps like I am, your Ridgeline will sag down as well so you could wake up finding a snow filled tarp inches away from your nose and pressing-in from the sides. now, in that situation if your tarp is going all the way down to the ground before the storm, there's no way you'll be moving it from inside your hammock. I've actually had this happen to me on two separate occasions.

The first time was what prompted me to start using the ratchet straps: I was using a Dynema cord ridge-line, and that sucker sagged down to my nose while I was sleeping. I could barely move the tarp aside to get out of the hammock, and when I went outside to look there was only about an inch and a half of snow covering the tarp. surprised me, because the way it felt trying to get out, I thought there was a lot more than that.

my next experience was in a big snowstorm, two to three inches an hour all night long. I kept up with it for a really long time knocking off the snow occasionally. at some point though I fell asleep. when I woke up I kind of had forgotten all about it and as I'm laying there all of a sudden it hit me that I couldn't hear the snow I'm hitting the tarp anymore. I started unzipping my top cover and sure enough there was the tarp just on the other side. such a scary situation instantly you're thinking that you've been buried alive, but just as quickly I thought maybe if I punch it I can knock some of it off. remember at this point I have absolutely no idea how much snow is on top of the tarp, all I know is that I can't move it by pushing it. worse comes to worst I coulc probably use my knife to cut the tarp. but punching it worked. between punching and kicking I was able to give myself enough room to get out of the hammock, and address the issue from outside. if I hadn't been using the ratchet straps though I would have been pinned.

if the sides had gone all the way to the ground, a lot more snow would have been pinning me down then what I ended up with.

if you're worried about wind, pitch your tarp like below. see how the ground under the tarp is completely clear? and the snow has piled up around? some wind does blow under and some random flakes of snow but not enough they my quilt set doesn't do is job, and by pitching your doors out to a point like this, most of the wind goes around your tarp, not under, and once the snow piles up around the outside, then you have extra wind coverage. For reference, my tarp is usually pitched high enough up that I can duck under without undoing the doors with my snow shoes on, although I don't think that was the case for this photo .

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I agree. Or take it to the ground on the windward side and open a bit on the leeward side. I thought I was slick getting my new Winter Haven tarp years ago. XL poly...almost all the way to the ground. Snap-closed doors. Nice and cozy...until I woke up 4 hours later in a jungle. A 7° jungle. It's like someone snuck in and sprayed water on everything while I slept. Zero air flow. Lesson learned.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I used to think you needed deep snow to make blocks, but that’s not true. You need some snow depth, but not a lot of feet. Instead of cutting tall blocks, you can cut flat blocks - like a large floor tile but only five or six inches thick. So you cut them flat and turn them up on the narrower edge. I made a nice trench shelter for two (if you stack 'em right) above ground that way. So instead of digging down to make a three-sided trench, I made a three sided shelter at ground-ish, level. If I find the photo in time, I’ll post it here. I had two parallel walls, a wall in back, and an angled roof. It worked great. But even if you can’t make blocks, you can move snow to make a berm. It would still give some air flow but block a lot of wind and drifting snow.

Another way to make blocks is using a form. Grand Shelter is a kit that is essentially a three sided box. Instead of making a quarry, cutting blocks from there, and hauling them over to the build area, you use the form to create blocks in place by filling the form with loose snow and packing it down. Then you lift the form and you have a block. A rectangular wastebasket would probably work. I don’t know about sticking because I’ve either just cut blocks or used a three sided form that slides off.

In the winter, I’m more prone to rig the tarp with the continuous ridgeline underneath. I’m not concerned about rain running down the line and the line under gives more support against any snow load.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-08-2021 at 18:21.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts