Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I also use a bib (cut from a fleece sweatshirt) over my quilt in cold weather to protect it from me breathing directly on it.
    Same here. Half the time I end up flipping it over my face halfway thru the night to keep my nose warm, with a "pinch" to keep it away from my face. Then waking up to a stiff frozen sheet. Winter...it's rough!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always wondered about the few folks on HF who say they've never experienced condensation. If you exhale, there's moisture that will freeze: that is the human condition.

So one time I was camping with a "never experienced condensation" friend. I woke up and there was frozen condensation on my tarp. So I went over to my friend's tarp (it was morning coffee time) and slapped his tarp a couple of times to wake him up. He was pretty angry at me for causing all this "snow" to fall on his quilts. "But wait," I said. "I thought you had never experienced condensation!" He replied, "It's not condensation - it's frost."

So now I know that people who say they've "never experienced condensation" are probably lying or just generally oblivious to condensation. If you breathe, you will experience condensation.

And, all due respect to our cottage vendors, these top covers with net vents are just humorous to me - they vent squat. Every cold morning I wake up and there is frozen condensation (i.e., frost or snow) on the supposed vent.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ^ I agree with all of this.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Just thinking about the problem as I am mostly a ‘fair’ weather camper. Rain is OK. Snow I have never tried.

That aside, do you think it would be better if the cover was made out of something more open cell? My first thought was that if one had something like a flannel cotton blanket (OK, heavy) the ice would still form but it would have enough surface area to hold on to it might not sheet off. The same effect might happen with a nylon type sheet with synthetic fuzz on the inside.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Pad and blankets
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have always been a hot sleeper. I adjust my hammock so I have a small hole (Not Zipped) in front of my face. It helps greatly.
    I also always use a tarp in cold weather. Cold weather is relative, in Alabama where I live we have mild winters.
    Maybe I've got old and soft, but I no longer camp in extreme weather, I have nothing to prove. I like to camp March-November.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Frost happens. Best when it remains very cold so the frost stays dry and can be shaken or whisked away.

Bad is when it starts to build up in TQ, reducing the effectiveness of insulation. If out for more than 2 or 3 nights, VB clothing is in order.

Worst is freezing rain, which can collapse even the sturdiest mountaineering tent and bring down trees.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Worst is freezing rain, which can collapse even the sturdiest mountaineering tent …
    But maybe not an igloo
    The challenge is, building an igloo large enough so the hammock is suspended inside. I can see creating a “wall” around the hammock, but you’d still have a tarp roof. And the hammock would still be suspended by those freezing rain assaulted trees.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12