Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Inexpensive tarp anyone?

Howdy. Wondering if anyone here uses or has had experience with the inexpensive tarps all over Amazon. I have a Hennesy hex, but would also like something light and minimalist, more of a sun/dew shade for warmer weather. Thanks, tk

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    My sense is that the inexpensive tarps on Amazon are not very light. I have a Chill Gorilla hex which I quite like, but I don’t use it often because it weighs noticeably more than my Hammock Gear tarp with doors, which covers more. My kids also have Amazon tarps (another Chill Gorilla, and one whose brand I can’t remember), and they’re even heavier than the CG hex. Now, you can get light and minimalist with an asym tarp; I have the Dutchware asym that I caught from their blemished list, and it’s both, and was pretty cheap. A number of vendors have asym tarps that might suit you, if you can catch a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Inexpensive tarp anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    My sense is that the inexpensive tarps on Amazon are not very light. I have a Chill Gorilla hex which I quite like, but I don’t use it often because it weighs noticeably more than my Hammock Gear tarp with doors, which covers more. My kids also have Amazon tarps (another Chill Gorilla, and one whose brand I can’t remember), and they’re even heavier than the CG hex. Now, you can get light and minimalist with an asym tarp; I have the Dutchware asym that I caught from their blemished list, and it’s both, and was pretty cheap. A number of vendors have asym tarps that might suit you, if you can catch a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I concur. Even brand new, you can get the Dutchware Asym tarp for less than $100. And it’s light at a little over 8 oz.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wide-asym-tarp/#color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I have a 10x10 tarp off Amazon - I think $30 I paid for it? - and it's good quality but packs too big and heavy for hiking. But on car camping trips, it's cheap and it's big and because it's cheap and big it's more versatile because I don't really care if it scrapes around on things more...as opposed to my Superfly where I'm more mindful. It's also more noisy than silnylon or silpoly.

If you're after decent quality and don't mind a heavier package than other cottage industry options, you can't go wrong I don't think. It also has a ton of tie out points, which makes it more versatile.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    This always boils down to "Light - quality - cheap... pick any two..."

HG Quest (and there are others) is quality with a fair compromise of the other two.

Early on in my hammock journey I got one off Amazon and it's pretty good and my rare car-camp go-to. Nice to have something besides a primo DCF tarp to be baked by UV rays and shat and splat upon. I still don't know how slugs get onto a tarp.

pinnacle_tarp_amazon_cheap.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I think everyone has already mentioned all the key points - if you want it to weigh less, you pay more. I won't comment on the quality piece because I've not (yet) had a cheap or expensive tarp fail and I've not really noticed any differences in build quality but I admittedly have not looked for them either.
    I have some of the FreeSoldier tarps which I purchased on Amazon and they're good. Heavy though. I have a Warbonnet Super Fly that weighs half as much (note that I have not actually weighed them, I'm just holding both in my hands) as the FreeSoldier tarp.
    I let the kids take the FreeSoldier tarps and I keep the SuperFly for myself But the flip side is that my kids are younger so I end up carrying a lot of their supplies anyway.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    I picked up the following 13' tarp on Amazon for ~$30 in my pre-hammock days. I've only set it up in my yard and take it with me when I go car camping just in case I need something extra. I do use the stakes with my cloudburst though

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYZLTHN

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have a great tarp (Super Shelter) & several cheaper tarps including 4 HH plus a few cheap tarps. My favorite cheap tarp is a PaHaQue double. It's not heavy. It's large & packs easy & does a great job. I caught it on sale for around $30.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    It doesn't get any cheaper than this, and the one I have is honestly not bad. I use it mostly in the back yard.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For day hikes, I use a Dutch Asym hammock. It is mostly to block the sunlight and any other debris falling out of the sky. The Asymmetrical design is nice because if someone is with me, we can hang two hammocks from the same two trees (coming off each side) with our heads at opposite ends of our hammocks. The Asymmetrical design of the tarp gives each of us shade on our side of the tarp, let allows for plenty if visibility and ventilation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast