Newbie question regarding S2S Travellers

I'm going to be making my first hammock soon and trying to sleep in one because sleeping on the ground is getting harder each decade.
    I currently have 2 of the Traveller sleeping bags sold by Sea to Summit and I'm wondering if any members have used either or both as an UQ and could give me some feedback on the use there-off. They are my summer sleeping / traveling bags so I still want to be able use them as such in the warmer weather.
    One is an XL Tr1 [ the one they no longer sell] and the other is a Large Tr2.
    I'm 1840mm tall and I mass 122 kilos due to my covid eating habit.
    I'm not after an UL set-up and I need to use what I have as money is tight; tighter than usual but luckily I have lots of stuff in my DIY stashes. I also have a couple of army poncho liners, one Australian in Oz-Cam and one the US Thinsulate version in Woodland.
    It will be a simple gathered end hammock and I've already cut 4 metres of fabric to sew it from.
    TIA

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps

This fellow seems to think so. My plan as a newbie is to adapt what I have until I have a better understanding of what should work best for my style of camping.
    I have some older rectangular bags that I am going to sew on some channels for shock cord and give them a try until I am able to get something more suitable.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I'm not familiar with the Traveller bags, but you could probably right something up similar to a Poncho Liner Underquilt (PLUQ). Some no-sew instructions are here: https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...ew-and-no-sew/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because you only used the abbreviation once, did you mean “UQ” or was it supposed to be TQ. Many start out using their sleeping bag as a top quilt simply by leaving it unzipped about ¾ of the way - leaving a little zipped as a foot box. The are many solutions for an UQ - besides an official UQ - but they depend upon the temperature range you will be dealing with and your style of tarp.

You may have better luck with your experiments if you have a second layer - either a double layer hammock or an underquilt protector - and sandwich your bottom insulation between the layers. You could even get an inexpensive smaller hammock (like Amazon sourced) and use it as a UQP.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

With a couple of mates already using hammocks I did mean Under Quilt, with these S2S Travellers being very simple bags with a full lenght zipper and shock cord at both ends they look just like some of the UQs I have seen but without the extra tabs needed for attachment.
    My TR1 XLis about 30% wider than the TR2, it easily fits a queen size bed.
    I don't expect minimum temperatures much lower than freezing, maybe -8C; if it gets colder than that I'll be in an double skin tent

So how many attachment points does an underquilt need?
    I can see that I'll need to sew on some loops to take mitten hooks and I'd like to keep the additions to an absolute minimum.
    Also how much bigger than the UQ does the wind /weather protection layer need to be

• + New Posts