Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps

New guy, trying something out.

New guy here, and yes, I should have found this forum earlier in my hammock journey. I will be replacing things as I go along, but tonight is an experiment to see how what I have will do, and get a December hang in. I will be using a Ticket to the moon moonquilt, with a GI poncho liner (woobie) draped inside. The liner lines up perfectly with the moon quilt, and the tie outs match the elastic so I can tie them together.
    Transition on the moonquilt is 41*, and tonight's temps are forecast to be mid 30's. The bag I am using is good to go at 30*, so I will be seeing how well the setup does. I survived a night at 45* with a 50* bag and a doubled up fleece bag as a pad. That was a learning experience.
    I have been a warm sleeper, and the worst thing that happens is I come inside if it fails.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome!
    Are you saying that you're going to essentially stack the woobie and underquilt under your hammock? And then also using a 30* sleeping bag? Just trying to picture your setup in my head.
    There's been a few threads on stacking underquilts, and the chart here has been used as a guideline a number of times. I suspect the chart may not be comfort ratings, but it says a 40* and 30* stacked should get you to 0*.
    Good luck tonight - if I didn't have to work tomorrow morning I'd be out there too!

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Yes, the liner and underquilt, and a 30* sleeping bag. I have a 0*f bag, but wanted to try this combo. Going to wear a base layer, alpaca wool socks, and a beanie. I will have a down puffer jacket along just in case. Time for a hot chocolate, and off to see how it goes.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    It worked well enough for me to be comfortable and not cold. Got down to 37*. I woke up at 5 not cold, but had to pee, so I just went in the house.
    Now I have a month to figure out an underquilt for a January hang.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    It worked well enough for me to be comfortable and not cold. Got down to 37*. I woke up at 5 not cold, but had to pee, so I just went in the house.
    Now I have a month to figure out an underquilt for a January hang.
    Nice to hear it went well! You're wise trying your gear out at home before having to rely on it in the field with no escape option.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yep, that's how you do it, try it out at home first. Caution on the chart that is widely circulated for "stacking" - it essentially takes the thickness of insulation rated at a certain temp and says, OK, you know have this much thickness stacked together which is now rated to X degrees. For instance, 40+40 = enough thickness for 10 degrees (in theory). Problem is that the construction of quilts doesn't really account for stacking, and you have to improvise to get it just right without any gaps or loss of loft. Probably works a lot better for 2 ccf pads stacked. Another issue is type of insulation which might be rated at say 30 degrees each, but insulate differently, like down and a ccf pad. But this is what makes experimenting fun!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Long ago, I used to camp frequently below zero, but in a tent. Learning about all the advances in gear, and how to stay warm in a hammock is interesting and fun.
    I think I am going to switch to quilts over sleeping bags. A center zip mummy bag sucks to get into and out of in a hammock when you get old.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yep, that's how you do it, try it out at home first. Caution on the chart that is widely circulated for "stacking" - it essentially takes the thickness of insulation rated at a certain temp and says, OK, you know have this much thickness stacked together which is now rated to X degrees. For instance, 40+40 = enough thickness for 10 degrees (in theory). Problem is that the construction of quilts doesn't really account for stacking, and you have to improvise to get it just right without any gaps or loss of loft. Probably works a lot better for 2 ccf pads stacked. Another issue is type of insulation which might be rated at say 30 degrees each, but insulate differently, like down and a ccf pad. But this is what makes experimenting fun!

I take those charts with a grain of salt. What might be toasty for me, could be miserable cold for another. I also learned long ago that trying out new things when you are 10 miles from the car can be a bad idea, with the potential of being dangerous. On the flip side, it is cool to wake up toasty warm with strings of hoar frost dangling from the tent roof.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    I take those charts with a grain of salt. What might be toasty for me, could be miserable cold for another. I also learned long ago that trying out new things when you are 10 miles from the car can be a bad idea, with the potential of being dangerous. On the flip side, it is cool to wake up toasty warm with strings of hoar frost dangling from the tent roof.
    Tent?!? (shudder)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I practiced at home several times before venturing out to my first January hang (2018 WI Frozen Butt near Waupaca). Those sessions added a lot of confidence, knowing for sure that my gear was going to work at temps below 0.
    The game is the best teacher.

• + New Posts