DIY with integrated bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps/Slings

Asymmetric Integrated Bugnet Pattern?

I have searched and searched (but likely still missed something) for posts on a pattern for an integrated asymmetric bugnet. I have followed Jellyfish's tutorials and I greatly appreciate those who are willing and able to put up such helpful guides. I used her guidance and draped the mesh and cut the bugnet to fit my hammock once made. I was hoping to find a pattern or at least measurements for the bugnet without having to drape, pin and cut. Like most things, I am sure there is a reason why there isn't much info I can find. Somewhat like using snaps to attach the underquilt, which I did, and it more or less worked but the drafts have gotten to me enough that I am now onto DIY hammock #2 and plan to make it a la Bonefire with an integrated underquilt. I am sure the larger manufacturers have such a pattern but I realize it may be more trouble than it is worth for the individual one off home sewer. I am not quite engineeringly inclined enough to wrap my brain around the geometry although I know it theoretically is possible.

Anyone have, or know of a pattern for cutting mesh for an asymmetric integrated bugnet?

Thanks in advance,

- Emvious

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All I have is a photo of my Dutchware Chameleon asym bugnet unzipped and on the floor. I sleep head right/feet left. Maybe this photo will give you some insight as to the shape you will need.
    I don't have any measurements.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did the same thing and sewed my bugnet by watching Jellyfish’s videos but Shug’s post gave me an idea I might try on my next DIY hammock. Dutch sells their asym bugnet for $35 I might buy that and then sew on a set of matching zippers. I think he uses the vision zipper which he also sells. Not sure how well it will work until I try but worth a shot

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You won't find any (useful) patterns because the dimensions differ depending on the ridgeline length to hammock length ratio. Most asym bug nets are cut like a parallelogram, to keep the bug net taut yet to not put too much stress on it in the head and foot areas. If you know the ridgeline length, the hammock length and the head / feet points, you should be able to calculate the bug net dimensions with the Pythagorean formulas.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    I did the same thing and sewed my bugnet by watching Jellyfish’s videos but Shug’s post gave me an idea I might try on my next DIY hammock. Dutch sells their asym bugnet for $35 I might buy that and then sew on a set of matching zippers. I think he uses the vision zipper which he also sells. Not sure how well it will work until I try but worth a shot
    This is precisely the method I use. I've made integrated bugnets before using XTrekker's method of pinning the mesh to the zipper of the hammock, but it can be a real pain. Since then, I've used Dutch's 121" zippers on all my DIY hammocks to make them compatible with Chameleon topcovers and zip-on accessories. As long as you're using the rough dimensions of a Chameleon (11' hammock body finished length/~110" ridgeline) it should work out just fine. Here's a shot of my wife's watermelon hammock made using those zippers and a printed Chameleon burnet.
    IMG_0103.JPG
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you jcksparow. I was wondering what size zipper and 121 is the same size I used so I am looking forward to seeing how a top cover works out. Appreciate the info.

• + New Posts