Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammok Gear Incubator 20, yay or nay

I'd like to acquire a dedicated UQ for my 11' netless hammock/ summer sock combo. I have a JRB Shenandoah to use as a top quilt. The HG Incubator 20 is looking pretty good to me. I anticipate little or no packing, mostly car or motorcycle camping, so weight is not really an issue. I like modular and flexiblity in gear, so the summersock bugnet seems as if it would serve well as an UQP if unexpectedly needed. Mostly mild Southern California climate camping, no bravado here, lol. These are about 200 bux right now, and I wouldn't want to spend much more. Any other options? Thoughts? Thanks, tk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    You won't find a lot of folks here who will have bad things to say about HG quilts. I have a Premium 20* Incubator myself and it's one of my favorite UQs.

But there are lots of options. You'll find avid advocates on this site for Hammock Gear (HG), Warbonnet (WB), Enlightened Equipment (HG), Loco Libre (LL), UGQ Outdoor (UGQ), Jacks R Better (JRB), Arrowhead Equipment (AHE), and Simply Light Design (SLD). Occasionally you'll see folks pop up with good things to say about less-discussed vendors like Cedar Ridge Outdoors, Outdoor Vitals, Katabatic Gear, nunatak, Cave Creek and others.

You almost can't go wrong with most cottage vendors. They all generally go to great lengths to produce quality products and ensure their customers are satisfied.

Many vendors will offer basic quilt options (like the HG Economy Incubator) at competitive prices. But if you are looking to save money and size/weight is not a concern, I recommend you also consider a synthetic UQ. A quality synth quilt rated at an equivalent temperature rating will often be $100 or more cheaper than a down quilt and will have other benefits as well (like weather resistance). From your description of your camping style (mild SoCal car/cycle camping), there may not be much advantage to paying more for a down UQ. Just food for thought ...

There are plenty of threads on the forum discussing pros & cons of each.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I have a HG Econ Phoenix 40 and a SLD TrailWinder 20. Both are solid kit and I recommend both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I love my HG 20* Incubator and it is my go to for mid fall and early spring hanging.

EARLY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Can't go wrong with the HG Econ Incubator for car camping.

Motorcycle might be a bit different because although a few extra oz of weight (vs the Premium) is not a concern, volume might be. A premium with a 10D shell and 950fp down is going to pack a LOT smaller than a Econ 20D/800fp. But maybe you have ginormous bags on your moto and this, too, is not an issue.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks for listing all the top vendors in one place. I have looked at synthetic, but haven't found a full length one, as you mentioned for 100.00 less. My favorite competitor to the HG is the SLD trailwinder, however by the time you get to 20* with a non asymetrical lay it's only about 30 bux cheaper. Thanks again, tk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A nice thing about down is its wide comfort range. But you live in Southern California and you are talking about a summer setup. Here in Bend, at 4,000 ft, in December, it will be 70 degrees today. And night time temperatures run in the mid-40’s. At night. In December. So maybe a 40° UQ, even a ¾ length, would work for you - especially with a sock, in the summer. When car/motorcycle camping, I understand that weight/bulk is less of a concern than when hiking. If you are in the 5’7” range, a ¾ length UQ is almost full length. Even if you are taller, some find the shorter UQ a better fit because your diagonal lie isn’t pushing the sides out (the UQ ends a little below your knees).

20° is a great “all season” temperature rating because you are targeting nighttime temperatures, not daytime. But in SoCal, in the summer, with a sock … I don’t know.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    The nice thing about SoCal desert is that the temps drop seriously at night. I've seen 50° changes from day to night. 30° changes are pretty normal.
    Out here I've been comfortable in my SLD TW anywhere from about 60° down to below freezing w/ out any issues. Mostly I'll just change out the TQ as temps change over the seasons.
    Summer time . . . That's a different story.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    You would absolutely love the 20 degree HG Premium Incubator. While I have a number of top quilts in various temp ratings I always use the 20 HG Premium Incubator 20 degree for my underquilt.

It does chill here at night, especially in the local mountains, but even coastal the temperature can vary widely. xactly why I was thinking 20* for this. My shenandoah is 40*, so that would work on warmer nights inside the sock. Thanks for all the great tips.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast