WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I still have an Incubator but only use it for my bridge hammocks anymore because - like all underquilts with corner suspension - it doesn't fit the shape of a GE hammock very well. A quilt that hangs from the corners will take on the shape of a curved half pipe, while a GE hammock is shaped like a hammock. The result is that you won't be able to eliminate all gaps. Underquilts like either the Warbonnet Wooki or the Simply Light Designs Trailwinder are a much better fit. There will be little to no gaps and there won't be any pressure on the head and the feet caused by the quilt suspension. If money is an issue, but weight is not, I would get a Trailwinder.

I see your point; the trailwinder almost looks like a hammock itself. I'll look at the wooki. I'm not sure that in my situation, ultimate fit is necessary. No snow for me...

Ah, I see the wooki is asym; I need a symmetrical fit. I flop.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm not going to disagree with hutzelbein's analysis, but my personal experience with 20deg and 0deg Incubators used with GE hammocks at/near their actual rated temps is that drafts have not been a problem for me. However, in those temps and windy conditions I'm nearly always using the HG Palace tarp which helps greatly.

An underquilt protector (UQP)—which I've used and which works—will help as well, but if I'm going to add the weight and volume of that piece I might as well allocate the additional grams/bulk to more tarp coverage instead of the UQP.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It has nothing to do with tarp coverage or the use of an UQP in my case. 99% of my hanging experience is indoors because I have replaced my bed with a hammock 8 years ago. Under those conditions Wooki-style underquilts work way better for me. I do sleep very cold, though, and notice air bubbles a lot sooner than normal sleepers.

I think the incubator would be fine in my case, as I vision it used mainly inside a summer sock, but I totally get the trail winder; it looks very well thought out. Probly just need both, lol.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    FWIW Re: both. I have both

Got an SLD Trailwinder 20F and a HG Incubator 40F and I use the Incubator by itself in summer and shoulder season and at some point add the TW around it. I find that's a perfect use case, given the Trailwinder is literally a UQP with integrated insulation.

I'm a cold sleeper like hutzelbein and I do notice very quickly when there's a 'leak' somewhere and I need to adjust. I have WBB XLC, so nothing to snap the Incubator sides to but I've solved that with a bit of shock cord over the ridge line at the foot end. With that, no cold spots. I've used the two together down to 0F.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I should add I'm on the other end of the scale... most UQs work at or a bit below advertised ratings for me. I once slept thru a -6°F night in my 0deg Incubator and was warm all night.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I like the Incubator/Trailwinder combo idea; now I'm rethinking the HG degree rating. A 40* Incubator might be a better choice with the thought of a Trailwinder down the road. I was thinking of picking up a trail lair anyway...so...Two setups with a bit of crossover; netless 11'/ 40* incubator/summer sock for warmer times, Trail lair/ 20* Trailwinder and add the incubator when needed. Both have bug protection and would cover a wide range of temperatures. Thankyou all for helping me think this through before commiting cash, lol. Lots of experience here on the forum.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    People do many different things, but if I were only going to have 1 UQ, I'd go with a 20*. In your situation, I'd buy that one first. You can easily use a 20* in the summer, but using a 40* in the fall might not be much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast