Tensahedron Guy Line

I'm building a tensahedron hammock stand, but can't find the answer to one question: How much tension do you normally see on the guy line that anchors one end to the ground? This is a critical question for me, because where I do most of hanging is in an ancient lake bed -- mostly sand. I need to know what sort of anchor is required -- ideally, I could get by with a bucket buried in the sand, but that may be too much to hope for.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    How long do a person's legs need to be to reach the ground? Right before the stand tips over, the guyline tension is zero. It all depends on the degree of stand tilt, the weight of the person in the hammock, how far their center of gravity is away from the baseline, and how much of a safety margin you want. In practice, the guyline tension seldom exceeds 1/3 the user's body weight, but 1/2 user weight affords more security. Just about impossible for tension to exceed user weight, even if the user is TRYING to rip the anchor out.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-29-2021 at 13:41.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Thank you. That's just the data that I needed. Now I can go try out a few anchor ideas before I commit to buying all the tubing.

About the only vegetation that we have around here to tie to is sagebrush, so I'll have to roll my own. Given your data, I now know that a bucket isn't suitable, because the bail isn't strong enough to be reliable. I may try a flat metal or plywood plate with an eyebolt in the center.

You should look up the tensaoutdoors anchors. They will hold your weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I set mine up with the foot end a few inches higher than the head. I'm 195lbs, and I don't find the tension on the foot anchor to be that high. I've had great success using the Orange Screw for my anchors. Also, I just use an extra tree strap for my anchor line with a MSH directly to the Orange Screw.

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I live in Florida, so all I usually have is sandy soil. As such, I have had success using pet stakes (metal dog run anchor screws) that I bought cheaply at Harbor Freight to make 3 stands. I am 300 lbs and did have one pull out one rainy night early on, when I was putting them in an on angle. Since then, I put them in straight up/down and haven’t had it happen again. That not so easy to do in clayey or rocky soil though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

I looked at those anchors. The sand around here is loose enough that I will have to put a plywood square under the feet in order to keep them from burrowing into the ground., so I'm a little dubious about a screw anchor, because it would disturb the dry sand as it is being put in the ground. I suppose that I could throw a bucket of water over the anchor after its buried to pack the sand down, but that's just more to load up at 8.5 pounds per gallon.

• + New Posts