Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Blueridge DIY multi-function quilt

First, a caveat: This is intended as a warm-weather quilt. I have other 20deg quilts to use when it gets cold, so this will only be used on warm campouts (probably down to upper 40s) or will be stacked with other quilts if used in the cold. As a result, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of warmth on this one if it increases functionality.

I have a blueridge quilt (similar to the infamous Costco ones, but $50 per quilt on Amazon instead of $50 for a pair at Costco) that I want to turn into a quilt that can be used either as a top quilt or an underquilt. I have removed all the horizontal seams to allow it to puff up a good bit. I also cut off 10" from the width of the quilt and sewed it on at one end to give me a 50" x 78" quilt similar to what was presented here: https://imgur.com/a/kOXYm
    I also have the 10" x 15" piece to attach on the bottom of the footbox. Coming back to this in a minute.

I will attach 1.5" grosgrain on all 4 sides to make cinches at the ends and suspension along the sides. Now to my questions:
    1) I'm concerned that having an extra rectangle of quilt hanging off the end all the time will negatively impact the ability of this to act as a good underquilt, especially since I'm not sewing differential baffles on this thing (really not possible to do after I've already shrunk the width to 50"). So I think I want to be able to remove and reattach the footbox end. I was thinking about putting KAM snaps or something similar on the extra footbox piece so I can snap it on when it's needed. The cinch cord at the end of the quilt can help close it up a bit around the footbox piece as well to reduce gaps.
    Am I missing anything here? Is there something better to use than KAM snaps? Will the KAM snaps go through two layers of a quilt if I move the down away from where they are to be attached?
    2) If I'm using KAM snaps to attach the extra footbox piece anyway, is that a reasonable approach along the sides at the foot end of the quilt to form the overall footbox? Would it be better to but the snaps in the grosgrain loops?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Update on this: KAM snaps were *not* the way to go for closing up the footbox! I'll post pictures of this later on to show what I ended up with. I never did get around to adding the grosgrain to the sides or setting it up to convert to an underquilt, but I did have KAM snaps to close up the footbox. I tried this out on a weekend trip recently and hated the feel of the snaps underneath my ankles and feet. At this point, I think I'm just going to remove the snaps and sew the footbox up and just make it a permanent warm-weather top quilt.

I did something similar (shock cord channels on all four sides) on a diy summer top quilt I made for my wife. As a top quilt it’s good to about 50 deg, and her hammock has an integrated primaloft under quilt also good to about 50. But when it gets colder the top quilt can be converted to an under quilt and added to the integrated one on the hammock seems to be warm to about 30. It works well for her, she isn’t really interested in spending nights out when it gets below freezing, and having a lightweight add on is a simple solution to get some more warmth from her hammock.

I used Kam snaps to enclose the foot box end on that quilt (and my summer quilt too) and I haven’t ever noticed the snaps under my feet. It’s funny how individual those small details can be.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    Update on this: KAM snaps were *not* the way to go for closing up the footbox! I'll post pictures of this later on to show what I ended up with. I never did get around to adding the grosgrain to the sides or setting it up to convert to an underquilt, but I did have KAM snaps to close up the footbox. I tried this out on a weekend trip recently and hated the feel of the snaps underneath my ankles and feet. At this point, I think I'm just going to remove the snaps and sew the footbox up and just make it a permanent warm-weather top quilt.
    I agree w/ you on this. I have a JRB multi use quilt and they put snaps to close the footbox. Not only are they snaps but they are doubled in a way that let's it snap together either way (like anyone really needs that) and I truly dislike the feeling of them under my calves, always shifting the quilt around so I don't feel them.
    That also put full sized cord locks on the end cinches that were designed to be attached and left them loose. Guaranteed that they end up under me and cinch the neck up tighter than I want.
    Probably my one and only JRB quilt.

• + New Posts