WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images

A Huge Thanks. And Thumbs WAY Up To Jared And His Incredible Customer Service

Over three years ago I purchased a custom silpoly tarp from Jared. He was great to work with, as this was a totally custom design, using my specs. It was for a 90 degree hammock (Amok Draumr and the old HammockTent Gamma UL), so it required a shorter ridge line, and I wanted longer doors and a center tie out. In all, a little different.

Jared created a terrific tarp, and it got A LOT of use in those three years. Less than a month ago, I had it and my Draumr UL set up on the edge of my woods. It was a windy day, but suddenly we were getting huge gusts, 40 mph plus. I was literally reaching up to loosen the ridge line tie out when a gust hit that ripped the tarp, just below the ridge line seam.

One half of the tarp was undamaged, so I reached out to Jared to see if he could use that half and create a whole, repaired unit. I sent photos, and he said that he thought it could be done. Jared quoted me a fair price for the repair, and I sent the undamaged half off to him. We exchanged a few emails regarding some details, and low and behold. in about ten days (from first contact) I had a package in the mailbox.

When I opened the package I was surprised to find the undamaged half along with an ENTIRELY NEW TARP! Jared determined that it was far better to create a new tarp than try to use the old half. There was no additional charge. Jared explained that customer satisfaction is his primary goal, and that he doesn't want to send out something that he wouldn't want for himself.

You have to admire someone who takes such pride in their work. On top of that Jared has the reputation for such amazing turn around times. I don't know how he does it, but he has created many lifelong customers due to his efforts. Jared, thank you!

SLD CUSTOM TARP.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Awesome story, thanks for sharing! Jared's word of mouth advertising is on point

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Great to hear. I’ve ordered several items from him and all of them have been superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Nearly all of my gear is from him now. Awesome gear and service. This story just solidifies that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great testimonial! Jared is making me a custom ground (eek!) tarp soon. Gotta order the material, Xenon .9 silpoly, so it'll take a few days. But I've ordered other items and Jared never fails to amaze.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    My all time favorite, most comfortable hammock was custom made by Jared years ago and, as I recall, it arrived in my mailbox less than 72 hours after I had ordered it. It is shocking how FAST his turn around is. On top of that, his craftmanship is stellar.

I've put many miles and a lot of hard wear on my beloved Trail Lair (made of Hexon 1.6). I noticed this Spring that a small hole had finally begun to wear into the extra fine bug net (.7 NaNo-See-Um). Then, this summer when my brother-in-law blistered his knees so badly kayaking that he couldn't step up into his camper, I let him sleep in my Trail Lair. The oily Foil spray he had doctored his knees with, dripped onto my hammock, leaving ugly stains that didn't wash out. Needless to say, that Trail Lair is looking a bit rough nowadays, but I still can't bear to retire it! It's like your favorite pair of comfortably broken in shoes--the ones that have molded happily to your feet over the miles. The thing I love about that Trail Lair is that it is so forgiving to set up. I can't seem to get a poor hang with it. And, unlike my other hammocks, it doesn't have a sweet spot...the entire hammock is one giant sweet spot! Whatever way I lay in that thing, I'm instantly "fall asleep comfortable"! Usually I position myself in relation to where my dog has wound up settling in beneath or beside my hammock for the night. If he's at the "foot" end, I squirm around so that my head is at the foot end. Sometimes I want my feet to the left, sometimes to the right...matters not where my feet or head gravitate for the night, it's that Trail Lair's sweet spot! I really LOVE my Trail Lair!

I got a Tensa4 stand last Spring. I initially planned on using my second most favorite hammock (my Blackbird XLC) with it...but that only lasted one camp out. The XLC worked beautifully with the Tensa4 and I slept comfortably in it...but it just wasn't my Trail Lair. I had planned on making the XLC the dedicated "Tensa hammock" and my Trail Lair my "tree hammock", but I ended up preferring the Tensa to trees and grabbing for it first instead of leaving it as a back-up...and by my second camp out, my XLC had been relegated back to the shelf and the Trail Lair officially became my dedicated "Tensa hammock" as well as my remaining my dedicated "tree hammock". I don't think I'll be able to let go of that hammock until it becomes so thread-bare that it drops me on the ground...and then I'll be ordering another from Jared the same day, never mind that I have a perfectly good XLC, as well as a Warbonnet Blackbird, a Dream Hammock Raven, a 90 degree gamma hammock, several Dutch hammocks, and numerous DIY hammocks...all of which are pretty darn comfortable...but they just don't have my heart the same way my Simply Light Designs Trail Lair does.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-03-2021 at 10:43.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    My custom tarp came in the mail 2 days ago and I was able to get out to the woods today to rig up the cordage.

Mine is a custom Trail Bird (ground! ... 9'x7'x5') without the cat cuts and only a center tie out loop per side (in addition to corners, of course!). And of course the construction was absolutely impeccable, and on top of that Jared seam-sealed the ridge line. Crazy cool.

It's made of Dutch's .9 Xenon silpoly. I don't want to stress the ridge line too much so I used a full-length ridge line with the tarp strung under it, adjustable with Blake's hitches. Also used Blake's hitch on all the guy lines as well so that the tarp can be cinched down close to the ground.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Mine is a custom Trail Bird (ground! ... 9'x7'x5') without the cat cuts and only a center tie out loop per side (in addition to corners, of course!). And of course the construction was absolutely impeccable, and on top of that Jared seam-sealed the ridge line. Crazy cool.
    he seams seals all of his tarps, every tarp company needs to seam seal their tarps for you for what you pay for them. crazy that you buy a tarp and then have to buy a seal sealant to seal the seems before you use it
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    My custom tarp came in the mail 2 days ago and I was able to get out to the woods today to rig up the cordage.

It's made of Dutch's .9 Xenon silpoly. I don't want to stress the ridge line too much so I used a full-length ridge line with the tarp strung under it, adjustable with Blake's hitches. Also used Blake's hitch on all the guy lines as well so that the tarp can be cinched down close to the ground.

Nice tarp! But why are you going to ground??? Also, I’ve never heard of a Blake’s hitch before, but you have my curiosity piqued! It looks like a prussic knot…? Never thought of rigging a tarp’s ground stakes that way!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Also, I’ve never heard of a Blake’s hitch before, but you have my curiosity piqued! It looks like a prussic knot…? Never thought of rigging a tarp’s ground stakes that way!
    Same! This looks quite useful

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast