Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy,

Howdy,

Howdy all.

I'm in Texas and have been my entire life. Grew up in the Dallas area where scouting taught me that I love Hammocks. I started with the old academy style stringy ones with the poly ropes at the ends. They worked me well and im sure I still have one or 2 of them. I took a couple cruises that stopped in Mexico and fell in love with the colorful woven ones there and still have 3-4 i keep as backups. Took a road trip with a buddy a few years back and we decided to hammock camp the whole way so got a double nest and I haven't looked back. I've got probably 6 hammocks now not including those older ones I mentioned above. Currently trying to get my girlfriend in on it and so far its going well.

After a recent divorce I'm looking at getting back into camping and hiking, things that weren't fun with her. So I have gotten things like an under quilt, suspension straps, tarp etc. Still learning about Ridgeline and whoopee slings and other things that you learn about as you become more knowledgeable about a topic. I'm excited to get back on the trails and get some nights under the stars.

I'm currently in the process of designing some kind of truck based contraption for when there aren't any trees around, using things like unistrut, but I want to be able to remove it from the truck and stow it away pretty quickly. And I have a few ideas but nothing super solid. I'd love to get some kind of gear trailer and then a telescoping structural frame to hang from (unistrut or something) but then I've got a 10ft piece of metal to deal with and only a 5'6" bed on the truck.

Really am enjoying this hobby and when its cool like it is now here in Texas I sometimes choose to sleep outside in the yard rather than inside. I can't wait to see what I'll learn next and where it will take me. I really enjoy making my own stuff, so ridgelines, tieouts and stuff. While making my own hammock my be in my future it will be a while.

Been lurking for a while but decided to finally introduce myself. So hey, I'm Rob and I have a hammock problem.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome! Have you looked into any commercially-available "truck based contraptions"? I know Shug has a video on one that he used, but I haven't seen any others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBGUTYR7Sug&t=411s
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

I've looked at a number of them. The McLean looks great but its pricey. And I'd like the option to hang 2 Hammocks side by side, without cutting off access to the tailgate. If figure if im going to spend that money I want it to be exactly what im looking for. I've got a number of ideas in the pipe and a few welder friends so im hoping I can get something figured out for about that price range.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome from Malvern Ar. I see you're in Austin. Have some family in Ft. Worth. Went to Austin to a wedding a couple years ago.

I grew up outside of Ft Worth. Austin is a beautiful place, its getting crowded but its still beautiful.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I always take my hammock when I go to visit but it's hard to find two trees to hang from. They're in Saginaw and trees are sparse. Especially trees that are available to the public.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    I can't wait to see what I'll learn next and where it will take me.

Now that's the right way to live! Never stop learning!

Welcome and glad to have you

Learning is never complete. Never be afraid to ask questions, when you don't know something, and always listen because chances are, someone else has made that mistake and is willing to pass on their experience so you dont make the same one. -me

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    W Slings
    Here are some truck-based contraptions:

http://www.tothewoods.net/Hammock-St...ck-Camping.php

Good link. That shirtless fellow under the semi trailer has me;