Rain poncho hammock 'sock'

Wondering if anyone has tried using a rain poncho as an ad hoc hammock sock. Thinking this might be a good option for an ultra light setup for a through hike, where you are saving weight by using a diamond tarp and converting your rain poncho to a hammock sock for extra protection on those rainy days that are also windy.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dubs View Post
    Wondering if anyone has tried using a rain poncho as an ad hoc hammock sock. Thinking this might be a good option for an ultra light setup for a through hike, where you are saving weight by using a diamond tarp and converting your rain poncho to a hammock sock for extra protection on those rainy days that are also windy.
    A poncho is usually not big enough for a sock but certainly it could be strung up on one side of the hammock for an additional wind block. Still, its coverage is not nearly enough to substitute for an actual tarp. As a supplement, yes.

I normally use my poncho as a pack cover, hanging the pack itself off the head-end CL. I also pitch the tarp right down the hammock for better weather protection.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    This assumes you won’t need your raincoat (poncho) while your hammock is up. That means, if it’s raining, you’ll be putting your hammock and gear away, in the rain, while not wearing rain gear. Or, if you want to leave your hammock up - say for a reconnoiter around the area - you won’t have your rain gear to do it because it’s keeping your hammock dry. There’s a line between multi-purpose and multi-use. It’s handy to have something that can be “backup” to other gear. It’s not so good to have one piece that does multiple things because if something happens to that one piece, you’ve lost functionality in multiple ways. Think of people who use their phones for route finding (Gaia app), music, videos, pictures, emergency contact, and maybe even a phone call. If that one piece fails (dead battery, fall on a rock, etc.) many functions are kaput.

I had a friend show me how he could use his kayak tow line (safety gear) as a clothesline. When we went out for a day paddle, he didn’t have a tow line because it was being used as a clothesline. Just Say’n.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-23-2021 at 12:55.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    This assumes you won’t need your raincoat (poncho) while your hammock is up. That means, if it’s raining, you’ll be putting your hammock and gear away, in the rain, while not wearing rain gear. Or, if you want to leave your hammock up - say for a reconnoiter around the area - you won’t have your rain gear to do it because it’s keeping your hammock dry. There’s a line between multi-purpose and multi-use. It’s handy to have something that can be “backup” to other gear. It’s not so good to have one piece that does multiple things because if something happens to that one piece, you’ve lost functionality in multiple ways. Think of people who use their phones for route finding (Gaia app), music, videos, pictures, emergency contact, and maybe even a phone call. If that one piece fails (dead battery, fall on a rock, etc.) many functions are kaput.

I had a friend show me how he could use his kayak tow line (safety gear) as a clothesline. When we went out for a day paddle, he didn’t have a tow line because it was being used as a clothesline. Just Say’n.
    This 'dual use' issue also bit me once when I was using my sit pad for a wind block for my stove. It worked great but I had nowhere to sit!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    This 'dual use' issue also bit me once when I was using my sit pad for a wind block for my stove. It worked great but I had nowhere to sit!

"It's really a fine art."
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    "It's really a fine art."
    Truer words never spoken!
    I think I ended up using some rocks or my pack.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The pack works great until you hear some sort of “crunch” sound.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Fortunately I've never had any of my makeshift windscreens fall over!

• + New Posts