Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    DW Rectangle DCF
    Insulation
    WB Wooki

"What is it? I haven't seen one before"

I recently had the pleasure of 12 days walking the Great South West Walk in Portland (Victoria, Australia). On one day I arrived into camp early and spent a leisurely afternoon enjoying the peaceful surrounds.

A hiker arrived just after 4pm. After chatting with him briefly he went to set up his tent. The campsite had a lot of room to pitch a tent - there were only four of us there but for some reason he pitched his tent right next to my tarp. So close that when he was pushing in one of his tent pegs he actually tripped on one of my tie-outs! Dude, why so close?! I was a bit taken aback and said nothing. After he finished setting up he must have sensed something was amiss and he asked me while gesturing at the tarp "Is someone sleeping there?" When I said yes he asked "Oh! What is it? I've never seen one before." When I told him it was a tarp with a hammock underneath he was quite surprised. He thought maybe someone was hanging clothes underneath, like it was some kind of drying room! We had a laugh and he moved his tent.

This close...
    1 Tent.jpg

I had another admirer come visit but this one kept a respectable distance...
    1 Roo.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe your camo worked so well he didn't see it!

I remember the first time (around 2014, I think) I saw a backpacker using a hammock and big tarp and I was a bit puzzled at first. But I certainly wouldn't have pitched a tent right next to it without first finding out what it was, and it was clearly a shelter of some sort.

There is sometimes a tendency for people to want to cluster closely together for 'safety.' Easily cured by some loud snoring and passing of gas and thrashing about during the night with a bright headlamp.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Easily cured by some loud snoring and passing of gas and thrashing about during the night with a bright headlamp.
    Yep, that would do it!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I want as far away from everything else as possible. No way I would have setup that close to a laundromat.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjo75 View Post
    I want as far away from everything else as possible. No way I would have setup that close to a laundromat.
    :-)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by iPlod View Post
    He thought maybe someone was hanging clothes underneath, like it was some kind of drying room!
    Haha, not the first thing that would have come to my mind I don't think but interesting thought. Great story & glad you both could have a laugh about it. I wonder if he is still replaying the gaffe in his mind over and over and over... or maybe that's just me when I do something silly like that

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I recently had the pleasure of 12 days walking the Great South West Walk in Portland (Victoria, Australia). On one day I arrived into camp early and spent a leisurely afternoon enjoying the peaceful surrounds.

A hiker arrived just after 4pm. After chatting with him briefly he went to set up his tent. The campsite had a lot of room to pitch a tent - there were only four of us there but for some reason he pitched his tent right next to my tarp. So close that when he was pushing in one of his tent pegs he actually tripped on one of my tie-outs! Dude, why so close?! I was a bit taken aback and said nothing. After he finished setting up he must have sensed something was amiss and he asked me while gesturing at the tarp "Is someone sleeping there?" When I said yes he asked "Oh! What is it? I've never seen one before." When I told him it was a tarp with a hammock underneath he was quite surprised. He thought maybe someone was hanging clothes underneath, like it was some kind of drying room! We had a laugh and he moved his tent.

This close...
    1 Tent.jpg

I had another admirer come visit but this one kept a respectable distance...
    1 Roo.jpg

What a cool (SECOND) admirer!

Once, some children day hiking past the campsite where my daughters and I had our tarped hammocks pitched excitedly ran back to hurry their parents more quickly down the trail to “Come see the FLOATING tents!!!”

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    The campsite had a lot of room to pitch a tent - there were only four of us there but for some reason he pitched his tent right next to my tarp. So close that when he was pushing in one of his tent pegs he actually tripped on one of my tie-outs!
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    DW Rectangle DCF
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    I did bump into him on the track a day later and we spoke briefly but the mysterious “floating tent” was not mentioned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts