Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking advice on adjusting a UQ for different temperatures

Unexperienced hammocker here (I'm almost ashamed to say this, as the time I've owned all the gear I need I should be an experienced hammocker by now). I'm also a overthinker, which is the reason for this post.

I don't know if more expensive UQ's come with easy to adjust-options, but my cheap 2/3-season DD underblanket did not (tho it seems to fit perfectly with my Hennessy explorer during spring and summer.

There's a obviously a limit to the spacing between the hammock and the UQ before the body can't produce enough heat to create a insulating layer. But at the same time the oppsite is true, there needs to be some spacing, so what I've been wondering is if the difference between maximum and minimum spacing - for when I need the most insulation and for when I need just a little, is so that I could have one UQ adjusted to fit different temperatures, or if the spacing between the hammock and UQ has a golden standard, and the quality of the UQ itself is the only thing that decides. For example if I'm too warm one night and tighten the UQ to have less warm air underneath me, but on colder nights I could losen the UQ for more warm air. The distance would assumingly just be a few inches, but I do wonder if it would make a noticeable difference.

Second question, assuming that adjusting the UQ spacing makes sense, any advice on how to go at it? I've been thinking about making some sort of daisy-chain with bungee cord/paracord for each of my 4 connection points, so I can easily de- or increase the spacing the same amount everytime.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    For example if I'm too warm one night and tighten the UQ to have less warm air underneath me, but on colder nights I could losen the UQ for more warm air. The distance would assumingly just be a few inches, but I do wonder if it would make a noticeable difference.

Its the opposite...you loosen it a bit to add more of a gap to cool it down, and tighten it (to a point) to keep the warmth. I've never used or looked at any of those DD underquilts...my experience has been with Hammock Gear underquilts and they have several adjustments. Now, it's possible to overtighten the underquilt where it will actually cause a gap where cold air can flow in.

If you're not familiar with Shug, he's got a ton of videos of all things hammock. Check out these videos where he discusses underquilts and adjusting them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhYRJ9dxtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGfSgt1w2E

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm not familiar with the UQ you have, but most utilize shock cord and cord locks for adjustment purposes. You can adjust (to some extent) the amount of heat retained by "venting" them. That is, loosening the suspension or opening up the ends a bit to allow for some airflow between the hammock and UQ. Shug has an excellent video on this: https://youtu.be/FMhYRJ9dxtA

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I'm familiar with the gap. My uq has (as all quilts I assume) a cord to tighten around the hammock. What I was thinking was that, as long as there's no gap, then the more air trapped inside that will be heated up, the warmer I'd be (up until a point, obviously.
    So basically adjusting the spacing inside while still having no gap for the air to leak out.

I've seen quite a lot from Shug, at some point I think my brain was so full of knowledge that I wasn't able to keep track of it all.

I have considered switching out the set length of shock cord with some extra long for adjustment purposes, and plastic cord locks (dunno if they'd even hold when I put my fat arse in the hammock).
    My thinking was more about if I, with the uq tightened around the hammock with no gaps for air to leak/get in, could change the spacing on the inside, i.e. more spacing would make room for more air to be warmed up (up until a point obviously)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Do you have someone that can take a look for any gaps at the ends when you've got it all set up with you in the hammock? Thats a draft collar adjustment issue.

Also, you really don't want any air gaps between the hammock body and the uq...you want to heat the air trapped in the insulation, not the gap. The quick way to check is to run your hand between the uq and the hammock. Your hand should have the uq snugged up against it. If there's any gap, that means its probably not making contact with your body. This would be an issue with the main suspension.

Haven't had a chance to get anyone to help me adjust it yet, but I'll get someone to.

But you just cleared up that I seem to have misunderstood something. I was under the impression that the UQ trapped the air between the UQ and the hammock, that was why I was wondering if adjusting the spacing could help control the temperature, causing more or less air to be trapped and heated up.

But if it's only the air trapped in the UQ that keeps me warm, then all of my other questions are void.
    *sigh* Not feeling too smart now.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Hey, it's a learning experience. With so many variables, it's hard to get right on your own. Even with all the info in the world, it's still a challenge sometimes.

I think my biggest issue that I still struggle with is getting the hang just right to totally eliminate calf ridge. I think I can count on one hand how many nights I have had zero calf ridge. Most of the time, I get close...but those times I actually had it perfect...nirvana.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Generally speaking, air itself is a terrible insulator of heat. At least, *loose" air, like that potentially between your hammock and UQ. Down and other insulating materials work by creating contained volumes of air, trapping pockets of it within the insulating matter to slow the transfer of heat energy.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The UQ needs to be up against the hammock and your body for max results~~~
    Shug