Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Generally speaking, air itself is a terrible insulator of heat.
    But wait! There's this thread about an air underquilt. Now I find out it's not true?

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ill-for-and-UQ
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First, the UQ should fit tight enough against the hammock to lift it a bit when you are not in it. There is also an assumption that your UQ has a differential cut - a top and bottom side with the bottom side cut fuller so the loft isn’t compressed as the UQ fits tight against the bottom of the hammock.

Next comes the end cinch adjustment. It looks great with the ends cinched up tight when you are not in the hammock. But that’s not how you lie. When you are on some manner of a diagonal, you are pushing out at the sides and if the ends are cinched tight, that can create a gap. With the right about of looseness, but still some tension, the ends of the UQ will better “form fit” the shape you present to the bottom of the hammock. That said, sometime people benefit from a more vertical lift at the ends. There are many ways to accomplish this. One way, if your hammock has a ridgeline, is to put an S-biner on the ridgeline (near the end) and pull the long UQ suspension bungees up an clip them in the S-biner.

Another thought is using a ¾ length - instead of full length - UQ. I’m still playing with this but it seems the shorter UQ hugs the most important parts (knees on up) of my body and any “push out” created by the diagonal lie is outside the UQ’s end boundary so it doesn’t begin to create a gap.

Because I also can’t be in the hammock and “see how it fits” at the same time, and for several other reasons, I use an UnderQuilt Protector (UQP). You still have to pay attention to the above issues, but the UQP makes the settings less critical.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12