Thread: Hanging in Zion

Hanging in Zion

My son, Jordan, just found out he will be doing a 4 month mission stint with ACMNP at Zion National Park. Last winter he was at the Smokies.

For those who have been there, how are the hanging possibilities? Also any recommendations for easy hiking when we go out to drop him off. The pictures all look fabulous just haven’t been there myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Good for him! Zion NP is one of the jewels for sure. The hanging opportunities will be minimal though. It's desert terrain, with a lot of bare rock in places. No forests to speak of or anything like that.

I go on motorcycle trips through Southern Utah, including Zion NP and the others. I usually take my hammock stand (Tensa4) and use it almost exclusively when setting up for the night.

EDIT: If you travel just outside the park, there are some wooded areas. But places suitable for hammock hanging are tough to come by.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I'll second the difficulty in hanging in the desert west. That's the main reason I'm into one tree hangs, I can almost always find one thing (not necessarily a tree) to attach to.

When I first saw, and thought I might want a Tensa Solo, I decided to go for awhile w/o and see how many times it would have made a hang better, or maybe even possible. Before the summer was over not only had I bought a Solo but I'd also used a few of my own variations.

I'd say that some sort of stand, one tree or treeless, would make it much easier.
    It sure is a great place to be under the stars though. So many and so bright, laying there you can feel like you're falling into the night sky.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    Sounds like someone who needs a tensahedron for Christmas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Dumb question, but has anyone considered using a cam climbing anchor placed in the rocks? I've encountered situations where there's one tree and one rock, and wondered whether folks who live out in the desert southwest might use them.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I'll second the difficulty in hanging in the desert west. That's the main reason I'm into one tree hangs, I can almost always find one thing (not necessarily a tree) to attach to.

When I first saw, and thought I might want a Tensa Solo, I decided to go for awhile w/o and see how many times it would have made a hang better, or maybe even possible. Before the summer was over not only had I bought a Solo but I'd also used a few of my own variations.

I'd say that some sort of stand, one tree or treeless, would make it much easier.
    It sure is a great place to be under the stars though. So many and so bright, laying there you can feel like you're falling into the night sky.
    I agree, a Tensa Solo would be perfect for this kind of situation. And there is nothing like nights in the desert. Early mornings too. And sunsets.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Dumb question, but has anyone considered using a cam climbing anchor placed in the rocks? I've encountered situations where there's one tree and one rock, and wondered whether folks who live out in the desert southwest might use them.
    I'm sure that there are rock climbers who have done that, or something similar.
    Joshua Tree NP had loads of rock climbers that were also fond of hammocks.

• + New Posts