RR Tarp 11' vs 13'

Hi. I'm considering a tarp for a RR. Considering Cloudburst vs Thunderfly and 11' vs 13'. I've got a question that will be very subjective, but it's on my mind so I thought I'd ask. I can feel a bit claustrophobic, I'm wondering if the longer overhang on a 13' tarp will change the view from the hammock and make things feel more enclosed under the tarp? Or does it all depend on your hang? Thank you for any input.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I have a 13 superfly that I hardly ever use. Due to its size. I also have an 11’ Thunderfly that I use a lot with the RR. And a 12’ mountainfly that I use the most. The ridge runner is a pretty small hammock aside from the suspension. So it doesn’t take but a little tarp to cover it. Tie a few shoe laces on the dog bones if water is the worry. I ve never had any water get to my hammock with that setup. And like you I’d rather have as little over me as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One thing to consider is, with the 11 ft tarp, your RR suspension dogbones will probably be outside the tarp ridgeline. As such, they can be a highway for water. Given the nature of the RR, with spreader bars and all, the water would probably drip at the hammock edge. But why let it get that close. If you are using the 11 ft tarp, put some cotton water breaks on those dogbones.

Another consideration is closing any doors or peaks. Again, with the apex point of the dogbones outside the ridgeline, any closure will be held open a little as the suspension “V’s” out from the apex connector. None of these are tragic as long as your are aware of the situation and accommodate as needed. That’s to say, I used 11 ft tarps with the RR for years. But - Not in the Winter and I don’t plan trips with heavy rain weather anticipation.

You can always put one end of the 13 ft tarp up in porch mode. If it’s at your head end, that will give you a lot of visibility and minimize the enclosed feeling.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    I have a 13 superfly that I hardly ever use. Due to its size. I also have an 11’ Thunderfly that I use a lot with the RR. And a 12’ mountainfly that I use the most. The ridge runner is a pretty small hammock aside from the suspension. So it doesn’t take but a little tarp to cover it. Tie a few shoe laces on the dog bones if water is the worry. I ve never had any water get to my hammock with that setup. And like you I’d rather have as little over me as possible.

I'll echo this for the most part. I use an 11' tarp for my RR. I don't really wish for more length as much as a little more width. I think I'd opt for the Mountainfly if I were after a "beaked" tarp or a Superfly for full doors.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Thank you all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post

Hi Saltfly. With your TF or MF, are the panel pulls in the stock location or placed for the RR? Just wondering if their location makes a big difference. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by sloth99 View Post
    Hi Saltfly. With your TF or MF, are the panel pulls in the stock location or placed for the RR? Just wondering if their location makes a big difference. Thanks.
    My SF is set for a ridge runner. The MF and TF are standard and work fine. I’ll be honest I like the center pole mod the best on the MF. And I use spreader pole protectors on the hammock for the occasional accidental tarp poke. But if you’re getting the tarp specific for the ridge runner then go ahead and have them spread the pullouts. Good luck

Thank you.

• + New Posts