Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting my hammock journey

I’m a 6’5” 280 pound side sleeping backpacker. My current ultralight setup is a bug bivy, one person dcf tarp (MLD Patrol solo), air pad, and down mummy bag. So I’m used to having very little privacy or dry space. After working hard to shave as much weight as possible off my pack weight, I’m ready to add some back in the name of comfort. I’m tired of getting mediocre sleep and I’m not getting any younger. Things hurt that didn’t used to, and having a pad go flat in the middle of the night makes it worse. I’ve done a bunch of reading, and video watching, and looked at various products, and I think I’ve got it pretty well narrowed down as far as what I think will work well for me. However, I’d still GREATLY appreciate any insight or advice this wonderful community could offer.

Here’s what I’m thinking of getting-

Hammock- single layer dutchware chameleon wide hexon 1.6 W/ symmetrical bug net and beetle buckle suspension

Under quilt- UGQ Zeppelin 40° 83” length

Tarp- Hammock gear DCF standard tarp with doors

Primary concern is whether a single layer of hexon 1.6 is sufficient for a big heavy guy like me. I know it says it has a 350 pound weight limit, but a single layer of fabric just seems suspicious.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'm not a big guy and quite a bit lighter than you. That said, I happen to prefer double-layer hammock for the lack of stretch. You mentioned ultralight and double layer certainly doesn't qualify in that regard. Only you can decide if the extra firmness is worth the few ounces.

Pretty sure you're going to want a TQ sooner or later. The good news is that it works well also for an ultralight ground set-up...

BTW, I have the Beetle Buckles and like them a lot. I don't have a doored tarp and have never felt the need for one. But then, I don't hang in really cold weather and your choice of a 40° UQ would seem to indicate that you won't be doing so either!

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm not a big guy and quite a bit lighter than you. That said, I happen to prefer double-layer hammock for the lack of stretch. You mentioned ultralight and double layer certainly doesn't qualify in that regard. Only you can decide if the extra firmness is worth the few ounces.

Pretty sure you're going to want a TQ sooner or later. The good news is that it works well also for an ultralight ground set-up...

BTW, I have the Beetle Buckles and like them a lot. I don't have a doored tarp and have never felt the need for one. But then, I don't hang in really cold weather and your choice of a 40° UQ would seem to indicate that you won't be doing so either!
    I will eventually move to a TQ, but will use my bag as a TQ for now. I usually use it as a quilt even on the ground. I don't go out in cold weather, but a sub 8 ounce tarp is hard to beat. And I like that I can stay dry no matter how crazy the rain is. I'm HOPING that I can be comfortable in a single layer hammock, but if enough people think I'm wrong I'll go with a double. Just trying to save weight where I can.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Chameleon is a great hammock. My husband is 5’11” and not quite your weight, but has no problems with his 1.6 single layer hammock.

You may want to consider the asym bug net. It can be flipped as you decide between head right and head left. Obviously you would not want to do that in the middle of the night, but I have flipped mine when setting up in a different campsite to take advantage of a nice view or to block a streetlight. The biggest advantage over a symmetrical bug net is that it has less fabric to fall in on you when you’re inside. That peeves me. Not everyone is bothered by such things, so YMMV. Of course, the tie outs on the Chameleon also help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    Chameleon is a great hammock. My husband is 5’11” and not quite your weight, but has no problems with his 1.6 single layer hammock.

You may want to consider the asym bug net. It can be flipped as you decide between head right and head left. Obviously you would not want to do that in the middle of the night, but I have flipped mine when setting up in a different campsite to take advantage of a nice view or to block a streetlight. The biggest advantage over a symmetrical bug net is that it has less fabric to fall in on you when you’re inside. That peeves me. Not everyone is bothered by such things, so YMMV. Of course, the tie outs on the Chameleon also help with that.
    Glad to hear he likes it, hopefully I will too! Not planning on ordering anything for a few months yet, just trying to get all my thoughts in order.
    I may go with an asym bug net later on, after I figure out which direction I like to lay or if the extra netting is irritating or whatever. I just figure at first the ability to move around freely will likely be more important.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Welcome to the adventure! I similarly started using a hammock for camping, and it’s allowed me to get back into backpacking.

I’m 6’4” and 270 lbs. I have a DIY made with a single layer of Dutch’s Hexon 1.6. It is rock solid. No need to carry the extra weight of a double layer UNLESS you want to slide a layer closed cell foam insulation between the layers.

For someone your height, consider a longer hammock… I feel a big difference in comfort going to an 11.5 or 12 ft hammock. It’s a bit more weight (and requires a longer tarp) but you may find it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Welcome to the adventure! I similarly started using a hammock for camping, and it’s allowed me to get back into backpacking.

I’m 6’4” and 270 lbs. I have a DIY made with a single layer of Dutch’s Hexon 1.6. It is rock solid. No need to carry the extra weight of a double layer UNLESS you want to slide a layer closed cell foam insulation between the layers.

For someone your height, consider a longer hammock… I feel a big difference in comfort going to an 11.5 or 12 ft hammock. It’s a bit more weight (and requires a longer tarp) but you may find it worthwhile.
    Glad to hear a single layer of hexon 1.6 can handle someone my size! That's very reassuring. I was considering a 12 ft, but again, hoping to save ounces. May have to look into the difference in weight.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I am a recent voyager on the hammock path but here are my 2c.

First. Comfort is personal and there is not going to be any universal answer. I will likely own all sort of different hammock at some point. I am not small either (6’2” and about 225). I have a single layer warbonnet and it’s high weight is not that far from where I am. But I find it super comfortable. It took some work to find the right ‘hang’ for me. And it isn’t not what WB recommends. But I am pretty happy.

Stretch might be a matter of preference. I like the fact that it almost ‘cuddles’ me. I am largely a side sleeper (solely in a bed but beginning to be less so in a hammock). I did recently do an indoor trial (2wk dedicated sleeping) where I made a set up to be able to easily adjust angle and tension. And I found my personal sweet spot. I would highly recommend the exercise. I would sleep with my partner in a bed first. But honestly, I would sleep in my hammock before sleeping in a bed by myself.

And hear you on the ‘old’ part. I started down this path partially because I figured at over 50 I was not ready to be done in the wilderness but I was ready to be done sleeping on the ground. I wish I had taken the journey sooner. But it is a journey. Hammocks are awesome but they are not trivial. Success will take some level of experimetation and patience.
    Last edited by Sean McC; 11-19-2021 at 20:21.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness.

things to consider.... I am also a big guy 6ft2 295lbs and while I have a couple of SL hammocks that will hold my weight, they also stretch big time so I use DL hammocks ( mostly BlackBirds and a Hammeck EnvyS ) as the DL offers better support and if one should tear the other layer would/should allow me to make it through the night.

As you are 6ft 5 you might also consider a XLC BlackBird as it geared towards tall hangers.

For you UQ I would recommend getting a 20 degree rated UQ with 2 of 3 ounces of over stuff.

As always I recommend all new hangers attend a group hang in their area even if just to visit. You can meet other hangers and see their setups and talk to them about what they like and dislike about their set ups. If you don't have a hammock by then you can always ask if any one has some gear you borrow to try out....amazing how many extra sets of hammock gear one can accumulate. Clue... these is no perfect set up and the perfect hammock or other piece of gear is always the next one you buy.

Once you get you gear then get out there and practice setting up and also setting up in the dark with just a headlamp..... amazing how many times one finds them selves setting up in the dark. Also set up some where you can safetly bail in case the gear does not work as expected... it happens and better to find out before you head out into the woods with no backup if the gear does not work as expected.

Also watch all of Shugs hammock videos as you will learn alot and have fun while doing so.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I'm also a bigger guy though not quite as big. I personally prefer the double layer because it doesn't sag which makes me feel more support and also alleviates some shoulder pinch.

Underrated benefit of hammock camping: no getting on your hands and knees to crawl in and out of a tiny backpacking tent. Big guys will get that comment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast