Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I'm also a bigger guy though not quite as big. I personally prefer the double layer because it doesn't sag which makes me feel more support and also alleviates some shoulder pinch.

Underrated benefit of hammock camping: no getting on your hands and knees to crawl in and out of a tiny backpacking tent. Big guys will get that comment.
    I'm super over getting in and out of a cramped 1 man tent.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'll look up the stats on my hammock it's a dream hammock I am 6'4 and about the same weight

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post

For you UQ I would recommend getting a 20 degree rated UQ with 2 of 3 ounces of over stuff.
    Just curious why the recommendation for a 20° UQ? My sleeping bag is a 30° bag and I've only had to actually zip it up and use it as a sleeping bag, as opposed to a quilt, one time out of about 60 nights on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by joker52186 View Post
    I'll look up the stats on my hammock it's a dream hammock I am 6'4 and about the same weight

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I would appreciate that! I just started looking at their stuff and researching all the different fabrics they offer.

Starting my hammock journey

I got the dangerbird double layer 1.6oz hyper D xl inside and outside

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy the hammock quest~~!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Enjoy the hammock quest~~!
    Shug

I will, thank you! Your videos have already helped me tons!

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2talltom View Post
    I’m a 6’5” 280 pound side sleeping backpacker. My current ultralight setup is a bug bivy, one person dcf tarp (MLD Patrol solo), air pad, and down mummy bag. So I’m used to having very little privacy or dry space. After working hard to shave as much weight as possible off my pack weight, I’m ready to add some back in the name of comfort. I’m tired of getting mediocre sleep and I’m not getting any younger. Things hurt that didn’t used to, and having a pad go flat in the middle of the night makes it worse. I’ve done a bunch of reading, and video watching, and looked at various products, and I think I’ve got it pretty well narrowed down as far as what I think will work well for me. However, I’d still GREATLY appreciate any insight or advice this wonderful community could offer.

Here’s what I’m thinking of getting-

Hammock- single layer dutchware chameleon wide hexon 1.6 W/ symmetrical bug net and beetle buckle suspension

Under quilt- UGQ Zeppelin 40° 83” length

Tarp- Hammock gear DCF standard tarp with doors

Primary concern is whether a single layer of hexon 1.6 is sufficient for a big heavy guy like me. I know it says it has a 350 pound weight limit, but a single layer of fabric just seems suspicious.

Welcome to the comfort. I have a similiarish set up for backpacking.

I use the half-zipped from dutchware that only has one zipper. I also have a chameleon but if I plan it out right I usually get the zipper on the side I want it on with the half-zipped.

I use a 3/4 UQ and use the foam pad from my backpack to place under my feet. This works extremely well for me however your milage may vary.

I have used the HG DCF tarp with doors for several thousand miles hiked and its one of my favorite pieces of gear.

The 1.6 is super comfy in my experience but I'm not around 280 so other folks will have better feedback.

Happy Hammocking!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You might like a 12x6 gathered end hammock, for your comfort. This is considering your height and preference as a side sleeper. You will probably end up sleeping on your back much of the time. Maybe choose fabric Hexon 1.6 wide, or 1.7 Mtn wide.
    If you get a 12 foot hammock, you might want to match that with a tarp with a 12 foot ridgeline.
    A 12 foot hammock multiplied by .83 will give a hammock ridgeline of 10 feet. This will give a one foot of tarp overhang on each end.
    You could stay with 11 foot tarp ridgeline, and have 6 inches tarp overhang on each end of hammock. That’s cutting close, because, who sets up their hammock and tarp perfectly centered? Not me!

Twelve foot hammock is 144 inches. Multiply by .83 is 119.52 inches or ten feet (120 inches)

The .83 multiplier is not cut in stone, but is a good starting point for adjusting your hammock for your comfort.

Some tall hammock campers are comfortable in an 11 foot hammock. And there are an intrepid few tall hammock campers who enjoy their 10 foot hammocks.

But I caution you not to buy a 9 foot hammock, such as those that are mostly sold at Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops. Too short to get a good diagonal lay; end up sleeping like a curved banana.

Cottage vendors listed here on Hammock Forums have 10, 11, and 12 foot hammocks.

Good luck, you’ll be airborne in no time.

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12