Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comparison of Snugpak Underblanket vs. OneTigris Night Protector Pro

Please accept my apologies if this has been covered— I searched but did not find what I’m looking for.

IÂ’ve been hammocking for about 12 years but am just getting into underquilts and want to start with one or two budget-friendly options.

IÂ’m currently evaluating the Snugpak Underbkanket and the OneTigris Night Protector Pro. The OneTigris is rated -5C to 5C (23-41 F), while the Snugpak isnÂ’t rated.

I used the Snugpak last weekend on a 39 F degree night and was quite comfortable. I have not yet used the OneTigris.

Does anyone have direct comparisons of these two underquilts? IÂ’m trying to figure out if it is worth having both.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use a Snugpak uq. But I don't have anything to compare it to. Going to get a Wookie pretty soon though.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I don't have any comparisons, but I have a SnugPak UQ. I get a sense that the OneTigris UQ will conform to the hammock a little better/easier than the SnugPak UQ does. The SnugPak UQ takes a good bit of fiddling and modification to get it usable on my hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I don't have any comparisons, but I have a SnugPak UQ. I get a sense that the OneTigris UQ will conform to the hammock a little better/easier than the SnugPak UQ does. The SnugPak UQ takes a good bit of fiddling and modification to get it usable on my hammocks.
    That seems to be true, although I wonder if the Snugpak is better for side-ish sleepers like me because its not quite so form-fitting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I lay on my side quite a bit. It keeps me covered pretty well. I don't hook it up as the directions suggest. I tried that and it was flared out at the ends. I run all 4 cords at each end to a carabiner and clip it around the whoopie sling just past the gathered end. I had to get my dad to lay in it then adjust the cords a bit. It fits snug now. I had to do as Shug suggests with UQs and get it considerably tighter than you would think. Once I got it where it was picking up my hammock a bit it was set right.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I like my Snugpak, but I actually prefer the matching top quilt to the UQ. I prefer my Trail Winder or my Phoenix. The suspensions on the Phoenix (primary and secondary) or the Trail Winder (sewn to an UQ protector) are a bit easier to figure out; I’m still not sure why the Snugpak has two sets of cords. The weight-to-warm ratio’s not bad, though, and it’s quite durable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what is the lowest temp you guys have been comfortable with the Snugpak UQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've stayed in mine down to 33. That's as cold as it's been here in Arkansas. Snugpak uq underneath and a Wal mart sleeping bag opened up and on top. I do have the winter top cover on so that adds a few degrees. I was quite warm with that setup. I slid my cocoon on a few nights ago. I can't zip it up as normal since I have the top on my Blackbird so I let it hang underneath as an extra uq. I can forsee going into the 20s easily with that setup. It's just hanging in the yard right now so I'm not worried about weight. Wouldn't want to hike with all that though.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock 15 degree
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    I have the one Tigris and I don't feel it insulates well at all.
    Hiking my own hike and hanging my own hang. This is where my happy is!
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    I like my Snugpak, but I actually prefer the matching top quilt to the UQ. I prefer my Trail Winder or my Phoenix. The suspensions on the Phoenix (primary and secondary) or the Trail Winder (sewn to an UQ protector) are a bit easier to figure out; I’m still not sure why the Snugpak has two sets of cords. The weight-to-warm ratio’s not bad, though, and it’s quite durable.
    Agree on the durability with the SnugPak. I have had mine for about 4.5 years now, and used it nearly every night. It still looks almost new. I run it through the washing machine on gentle cycle, it's been on countless motorcycle trips, a few backpacking trips (short mileage ones), and my nightly go-to when I'm at home hanging in the basement.

I have the SP cocoon as well, but haven't ended up using it nearly as much as I initially thought I would. No quality issues with it, I just typically end up using other gear instead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast