Thread: Storage

Storage

I hang all my gear from manufacturers loops or other ways that I can using carabiners and some cordage. My current top quilt honestly has nothing that I can hook or clip to to hang like my other gear. Any suggestions on how I could hang an item like this with a relatively deep foot box.

I apologize if there is an existing thread on this I am not great at searching for existing information on HF yet.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    TQs usually have a snap and a draw cord around the top (neck) seam.

Fasten the snap and cinch down the draw cord, then use a regular clothes hanger thru the top opening.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Many cottage vendor quilts come with a large breathable bag to store your quilt in without compressing it. They typically have a draw cord at the top that can be cinched. I hang my quilts in their bags from this draw cord.

I will presume, however, that you don't have the original bag or you probably wouldn't be asking the question. The good news is that they are easily replaced. Virtually all cottage vendors will sell you a quilt storage bag separately for about ten bucks. You don't have to buy their quilt to buy the storage bag. You can also find large cotton or mesh laundry bags at the big box vendors (e.g., Wally World) and online monopoly retailers (e.g. Amazon) pretty cheap. An extra large pillowcase would do the trick too. You can use almost any king of bag, but best if it's breathable and large enough so you don't have to cram the quilt in.

I have several quilts without their original bags and I have made my own from an old cotton twin-bed flat sheet I bought at a thrift store for two bucks. Cut the sheet to size (about 36" x 24" works for me), sew a 2-inch hem along one short edge that will be the top of the bag, sew up the other threes sides to create the bag, then turn it inside-out (or outside-in depending on your point of view). Fish a cord or long bootlace through the hem at the top and you're done! Probably the easiest DIY sewing project there is to do. Takes all of 5 minutes to sew with a sewing machine (maybe 30-45 minutes by hand depending on how tight you make your stitches).

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable hanging any of my quilts from any part of the quilt itself. I don't like the idea of putting unnecessary long-term stress on the seams.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Onewind Double (11 ft)
    Tarp
    Ridge Outdoors
    Insulation
    UQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    buckles/Onewind
    I have synthetic gear, so do I have to worry about storing it? I have them all in their original compression bags right now.
    Liz

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundownalpacas View Post
    I have synthetic gear, so do I have to worry about storing it? I have them all in their original compression bags right now.
    Liz
    Keep them loose in old pillowcases, laundry bags, hanging in closet, etc. I bought some cheap laundry bags on amazon for storing old tents. All my quilts came with cotton sacks, but you can buy those separately as well. I have an old 0° sleeping bag in the compression bag, since the beginning of time. I never use it so never bothered to take it out. It's probably a 40° by now!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundownalpacas View Post
    Liz
    I wouldn't store either down or synthetic quilts in compression sacks, especially synthetic which loses loft in a much shorter time span than down.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Onewind Double (11 ft)
    Tarp
    Ridge Outdoors
    Insulation
    UQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    buckles/Onewind
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I wouldn't store either down or synthetic quilts in compression sacks, especially synthetic which loses loft in a much shorter time span than down.
    Thank you for that Information.

Hammock
    Onewind Double (11 ft)
    Tarp
    Ridge Outdoors
    Insulation
    UQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    buckles/Onewind
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Keep them loose in old pillowcases, laundry bags, hanging in closet, etc. I bought some cheap laundry bags on amazon for storing old tents. All my quilts came with cotton sacks, but you can buy those separately as well. I have an old 0° sleeping bag in the compression bag, since the beginning of time. I never use it so never bothered to take it out. It's probably a 40° by now!
    I have plenty of old pillow cases. I could also sew something up with some cotton materials if needed.
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’d hang the quilts if I could - but I can’t (no room). So I use the large cotton storage bags. If not included, they usually sell for about $10. REI has them.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I use mesh laundry bags from (gasp) Walmart.

• + New Posts