Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

MI > NCT-MRT (North Country Trail-Manistee River) Loop

I don't often post reports because of every place becoming so busy. But this place is so well known and beaten down it doesn't matter. It gained my personal "state park" status. Grand Central Station. I overdid this place in the past, but I think it's been a few years so I was ready to visit again.

With 50°/32° in the forecast Friday-Sunday, I decided it was time for one more fall hiking trip before the snow flies. I arrived to the Marilla trail head at the north end around 9:30PM. After a 2mi hike in, I set up on the NCT side and had a small fire. Prime dry oak firewood everywhere on the NCT side opposed to the other. It's such a nice experience hiking in the dark. I went to sleep around midnight and slept solid til 8am. Amazing fire in the sky sunrise!

I reached Red Bridge by noon and got some water from the river. I also used the disgusting bathroom, which wasn't so bad because I could save my own TP. On the MRT side, I still wasn't running into any people, which I had hoped for due to past-peak colors and cooler temps. Some trees, especially the beech, still hung onto fall with vibrant yellow, orange, and lime. After a quick lunch break I continued on north. Nothing I haven't seen plenty of times before, so I just kept pounding miles. I hit 17 miles for the day and decided to find camp. I had a few hours of daylight to get set up and gather firewood. Beer, dinner, snacks, the usual deal. The view was OK on the river, but I would have preferred a high spot above.

Another great night of uninterrupted sleep, about 11 hours worth. With only a few miles to go Sunday, I got moving early and crossed back over to the NCT side, and finally to the connector back up to the trailhead. I was meeting a friend nearby to look for some winter camping land anyway, so it was nice to get an early start on that.

Perfect weather on this trip!!! Sunny and 50°, no dew both mornings. I was home by 5pm for the unpacking and cleanup. Quick, light, efficient. It felt good to get one more in before switching to winter mode.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It sounds like it was an amazing trip! I have done the MRT-NCT loop twice, but never in the fall.

The first trip I did with a hammock and my new (at the time) Superfly tarp was on the loop. My tarp worked well on our second night when there was wind and pretty heavy rain blowing through the region.

The second time on the loop was when I took my son on his first backpacking trip.

I have heard the trail is pretty crowded now but I have never experienced the crowds because it became much more popular after my second trip.

Thanks for sharing your trip and photos. It brought back great memories I have of that trail.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Nice trip report.

I’ve never done the loop, but I have enjoyed the MRT a few times. I was lucky enough to see less than 10 people each time I was there.

Excellent images! The morning fog in that river valley is pretty special.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    You really packed a lot into a quick trip! Beautiful country even if a bit past prime fall viewing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    You really packed a lot into a quick trip! Beautiful country even if a bit past prime fall viewing.
    Very late this year...still waiting on my leaves to fall off some trees. I just want to rake and be done with it.

Hammock
    Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    I have been missing this loop. time for another visit for me to.

• + New Posts