Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Are Y'all out in the cold piney woods yet?

My wife was on a face time call with her newly found 1/2 sister in MN today, and she was showing us the snow she had to shovel off of her porch. Made me jealous, and made me think of Shug. But at least it is for sure a whole bunch cooler down here than it was just a few weeks ago. My fav time of year is here! YAY!

But Slowhike's thread asking if any of the old guys were still around got me looking at some of my old threads. One was a trip report for the Wind River Mountains of WY 1st week Sept 2008. I was using my still somewhat new Speer Pea Pod over a Claytor No Net, my step son- for his 1st trip or cold weather camp in a hammock- was using my WB synthetic Yeti on his Claytor. We both did fine with lows in the mid 20s. But on October 9, I pulled up a weather forecast for the same area we were backpacking in. The link no longer works. But fortunately I copied the report in my post. Oh my, what a difference one month can make! If we had made this trip in Oct, we would have really needed deep winter(by my standards) gear:
    .................................................. ..................... Forecast Oct 9, 2008

Tonight: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 19 to 22 mph decreasing to between 9 and 12 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
    .................................................. .......

Friday: Snow. High near 26. West southwest wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -1. East wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. High near 19. Wind chill values as low as -4. Windy, with a east northeast wind 17 to 20 mph increasing to between 27 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Saturday Night: Snow. Low around 6. Blustery, with a east northeast wind between 18 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Sunday: Snow, mainly before noon. High near 24. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Big disappointment here. 10/14/21

It was supposed to be rain/snow for certain. I got set up with extra care. 35 degrees. I actually had a dream of bad weather, but that was it. A extensive weather front, showing only snow for up here passed over about 1 am on my phone weather radar, causing a brief sprinkle, puff of wind, then nothing, bone dry. Temp was 35 all night.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Got almost an inch of snow here yesterday in Fort Wayne. Beautiful contrast with the red maple leaves which are still refusing to fall off. Such a late fall this year.

Last weekend I did my final "fall" trip, which was sunny and about 55. A nice hike, but now it's time for full-on winter mode.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Big disappointment here. 10/14/21

It was supposed to be rain/snow for certain. I got set up with extra care. 35 degrees. I actually had a dream of bad weather, but that was it. A extensive weather front, showing only snow for up here passed over about 1 am on my phone weather radar, causing a brief sprinkle, puff of wind, then nothing, bone dry. Temp was 35 all night.
    Bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Got almost an inch of snow here yesterday in Fort Wayne. Beautiful contrast with the red maple leaves which are still refusing to fall off. Such a late fall this year.

Last weekend I did my final "fall" trip, which was sunny and about 55. A nice hike, but now it's time for full-on winter mode.
    You are getting there! We have had a few days of light frost. Warming back up for a few days, then cooling off again. Heavy winter weather can be a royal pain to live with. And I have done so. But, I always miss it. I guess what I would be satisfied with is a few honest winter storms a year. Enough for me to enjoy but not get so tired of. Like I did when I lived in Erie, PA 77-79. 148" of snow that first year, and winter or dark sky weather seemed to last forever.

Of course, it was made much worse by me being a southern transplant there with neither knowledge nor money to stay warm. I didn't know that non cotton clothing would have kept me warmer, and could not afford new clothing even if I had known. For sure could not afford 4WD, or even excellent dedicated snow tires or chains. So, I was stuck a lot.

But to my great surprise, I found that after I moved back down south, I actually sort of missed that winter weather. I didn't wnt 6 months of it again, but a month or 2 would have been nice. I think I missed the sense of adventure.

But, a few years later(83-85) I found myself living in Flagstaff, AZ where I felt I had the best of both worlds. One year we got some 120" of snow in town, and much more up on the nearby mountain. But, it tended to be in these big whopper storms that would dump 2 or 3 ft, then we would have beautiful clear, sunny skies for weeks. And if that wasn't enough, if I found myself getting tired of the cold, I could just drive 45 minutes to 2 hours to drop down to the desert areas like Sedona or Phoenix, where it was always much warmer. I still miss that. Plus, by this time I was into winter sports and camping, knew how to stay warm and had the right gear and clothes to do so, plus I had great 4WDs that did great in the snow or off road. So life was great. Believe it or not, one Feb night, I think it was 1985, the low in town (remember, this is AZ!) was minus 23F! Some outlying areas reported minus 40. But as usual, that was all over in a few days, and back to beautiful cool, but not bitterly cold weather, and very few gray skies. It was also pretty great in UT about 45 minutes from Alta/Snowbird and 9 other superb ski resorts, where we averaged about 50" snow per year in town and 500" in the nearby Wasatch mountains. But, the winters in town were much darker and greyer, more like Erie, PA was, compared to AZ. But this was mostly due to a weird phenom known as "inversions", where theweather would be cold but with beautiful clear, blue skies, which was wonderful when skiing. But down in town, the heavier cold air from the mountains would sink down into the valleys where most of the people lived. Then this would cause something called frozen fog to form, where you could barely see 10 ft. There would be no sun for days, even though if you just drove 1000 ft higher towards the mountains, where you would pop out of the fog and into the glorious sunshine and snow bound mountains. Like this, where you can see the common fog in the valley: https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...tah-images.jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We got some snow. Now I watch it go.
    I'll miss leaves and green.
    I sure can wait for more snow to be seen.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Got back yesterday afternoon from a 3-day trip to the Catskills with Dirtbaghiker and we were both very happy to experience our first encounter with the white world this season.

It was only a dusting around 2500' to maybe 2" on the peaks, but it was still nice to get that first taste of things to come. We hiked the fairly new section of the Long Path from Phoenicia up to Cross Mtn, then Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide, down the Ormsbee trail to Neversink River, up to Table-Peekamoose and out at Rt 42 parking area.

Camping near Cross Mtn... morning after the first overnight dusting.

View from top of Wittenberg.

It's going to take a couple of trips to acclimate... hiking in the cold!

View from the spring below the summit of Slide Mtn.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Got back yesterday afternoon from a 3-day trip to the Catskills with Dirtbaghiker and we were both very happy to experience our first encounter with the white world this season...

View from the spring below the summit of Slide Mtn.

Wow! That view was gorgeous!!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Got back yesterday afternoon from a 3-day trip to the Catskills with Dirtbaghiker and we were both very happy to experience our first encounter with the white world this season.

It's going to take a couple of trips to acclimate... hiking in the cold!
    Nice & awesome pic.

We don't see much snow down here in TX, but one of these days I'd love to do a trip in the snow.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Nice & awesome pic.

We don't see much snow down here in TX, but one of these days I'd love to do a trip in the snow.
    Haha, bop on up to New Yawk and we'll take you to the Adirondacks in January — snow guaranteed!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    CMoulder: Sweeeeeet! Love it, envy it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast