Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I hung at Fort Custer State Park the night before Thanksgiving to test my new underquilt. Got set up just before dark then played around with a campfire for a few hours. I hadn't used an underquilt before but the Hammock Gear 20 degree Economy quilt worked out well. With Shug whispering in my ear I was able to get my quilt adjusted properly after a few attempts. I had quite a few clothing layers on including a fleece mask, stocking hat and fleece hood. I ordered some synthetic booties from Dutch the next day to ensure warmer feet next time out. A successful adventure and learning experience.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post
    I hung at Fort Custer State Park the night before Thanksgiving to test my new underquilt. Got set up just before dark then played around with a campfire for a few hours. I hadn't used an underquilt before but the Hammock Gear 20 degree Economy quilt worked out well. With Shug whispering in my ear I was able to get my quilt adjusted properly after a few attempts. I had quite a few clothing layers on including a fleece mask, stocking hat and fleece hood. I ordered some synthetic booties from Dutch the next day to ensure warmer feet next time out. A successful adventure and learning experience.
    That's awesome that you were able to figure out the adjustments. I swear, the more I fiddle with gear, the more I value being able to use items that can be configured to work with multiple vendor's equipment. I think some down booties are in my future as well.

I used to love mountain biking at Fort Custer; it's a blast and fun singletrack, for the midwest!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post
    I lived in Kalamazoo for a long time and went camping at Fort Custer a bunch, mostly during the 90's. Back then I did strictly summer camping. I've got a few days off work next week and plan to get out here in Mass for a couple nights although it hasn't gotten very cold yet. Glad to hear you got your UQ adjusted. Took me a while to figure it out when I started. I used to wear heavier clothes or multiple layers at night but now wear some synthetic longjohns or maybe some lighter weight wool and found I stay as warm (I have a 0° UQ). I started wearing down booties which help keep my feet warm which used to be my biggest challenge, plus wearing a balaclava and down beanie too. Seems like if I keep my head and feet warm the rest if me stays warm too, so the booties may help. Congrats on a successful trip!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    My woods aren't what some of y'all would call cold yet (~20 degrees), but they sure are piney. I picked up a 0-degree TQ from EE very much on sale last week and a new dual-band HT that I can't wait to get out and try. Family obligations are eating up my weekends but I'm hoping to get out before Christmas. Just trying to figure out where to go since TS Fred washed out my go-to overnight area in Pisgah NF.
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123