HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    CMoulder: Sweeeeeet! Love it, envy it!
    Thanks, BB58! Although that is a much photographed vista from Wittenberg, it's never the same from trip to trip because the cloud bases are always tickling the peaks up there.

At one time I had Flagstaff on my wish list for my gummint job transfer preference, but due to marriage and life circumstances (stuff happens) ended up staying in NY. However, on a couple of occasions I worked in Phoenix for a few weeks and was able to take days off to drive up through Prescott and Sedona and visit Flagstaff, and even hiked up Humphreys Peak one time. In the late '90s I had done a 5-day hike with friends down into the Grand Canyon and got to visit Flagstaff then (it was November), which planted in my head the desire to live there.

As it turned out, however, NY is very good if you like outdoor activities, and I do love the change of seasons. For 2 years in the mid '80s I lived in Monterrey, CA, which is as close to Heaven on Earth as I've seen, but it was so damm nice all the time that I got sick of it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Onewind Double (11 ft)
    Tarp
    Ridge Outdoors
    Insulation
    UQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    buckles/Onewind

Sunset on the ranch in the winter

I am a newbie hanger. I have lived in MI all of my life and deal with the snow and cold every winter. I am curious as to the "attraction" of hanging in the winter? Is it for the scenery, no bugs, bragging rights or ? Convince me why I should try it. Picture of our driveway. Thanks, Liz
    IMG_0440.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundownalpacas View Post
    I am a newbie hanger. I have lived in MI all of my life and deal with the snow and cold every winter. I am curious as to the "attraction" of hanging in the winter? Is it for the scenery, no bugs, bragging rights or ? Convince me why I should try it. Picture of our driveway. Thanks, Liz
    IMG_0440.jpg
    Looks nice Liz! I drive up there sometimes every other weekend for a stretch. Just playing the weather. Lake effect is kicking up and I'm looking forward to it.

I love winter. An excuse to use (more, a lot more) gear, less people, no bugs, quiet, beautiful, snowshoeing is fun, totally different scenery. I like how my face goes numb in the wind, almost hurts, but in a good way. When those globs of snow in the pines let loose in the breeze and they scatter on the way down. You know all this of course!

Hammock
    Onewind Double (11 ft)
    Tarp
    Ridge Outdoors
    Insulation
    UQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    buckles/Onewind
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Looks nice Liz! I drive up there sometimes every other weekend for a stretch. Just playing the weather. Lake effect is kicking up and I'm looking forward to it.

I love winter. An excuse to use (more, a lot more) gear, less people, no bugs, quiet, beautiful, snowshoeing is fun, totally different scenery. I like how my face goes numb in the wind, almost hurts, but in a good way. When those globs of snow in the pines let loose in the breeze and they scatter on the way down. You know all this of course!
    I am outside everyday taking care of the alpacas, chickens and dogs. I get the freezing face, as I have had my share of my face being frozen. Yes winter is beautiful and I do snowshoe here. I have tried winter camping many, many years ago and we froze our tails. LOL Maybe that is why I don't care to try it as I remember that one time. I am fortunate to see the beauty around me everyday.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    IMG_0440.jpg
    I was raised down South (FL, MS) and read all the Jack London books as a kid and always wanted to experience ice and snow. My first trip in snow/ice was Harriman State Park, NY, in 1985 and although it was a mini-disaster I fell in love with it anyway and was only more determined to learn the finer points of living and traveling in the cold. Literally hundreds of trips later in seriously sub-zero weather in NH and ME and upstate NY, I still love it, even more so after learning a bazillion little tricks from direct experience.

But yeah, no bugs, no people, and when the snow gets packed down it's actually much easier hiking in the mountains because all the rocks are covered with a snowy highway. Many years back, camping near Colden Pond in the Adirondacks, some friends and I took our sleeping mats out onto the frozen pond and laid down to look straight up at the sky. It was -15°F or so, but the air was perfectly still and crystal clear, and it was a new moon phase which made it just right for watching a spectacular meteor shower. That's the sort of thing I like about it.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Thanks, BB58! Although that is a much photographed vista from Wittenberg, it's never the same from trip to trip because the cloud bases are always tickling the peaks up there.

At one time I had Flagstaff on my wish list for my gummint job transfer preference, but due to marriage and life circumstances (stuff happens) ended up staying in NY. However, on a couple of occasions I worked in Phoenix for a few weeks and was able to take days off to drive up through Prescott and Sedona and visit Flagstaff, and even hiked up Humphreys Peak one time. In the late '90s I had done a 5-day hike with friends down into the Grand Canyon and got to visit Flagstaff then (it was November), which planted in my head the desire to live there.

As it turned out, however, NY is very good if you like outdoor activities, and I do love the change of seasons. For 2 years in the mid '80s I lived in Monterrey, CA, which is as close to Heaven on Earth as I've seen, but it was so damm nice all the time that I got sick of it.
    I may have already shared this: I am sad to think about how much things might have changed since I left Flagstaff in Dec 85, or since I left UT to move back east in 87. Though I have had several trips to AZ since I left(but mostly 20+ years ago, not many at all in recent years), and the places I drove thru were not much changed, I am afraid the seemingly never ending western droughts, dead trees from that and bug damage and the wild fires that sooner or later follow that have destroyed some of my favorite places. I have a friend from NC who used to come visit me in Flagstaff, and I would take him to my spots that mostly only we locals knew. A few years ago, he went for a meeting in Sedona, and later headed up to some places we camped along the Mogollon rim, wanting to show his wife. He said that area of beautiful spruce and aspen forest was now a wasteland. He drove for quite a few miles along what he was certain was one of the forest service roads on the Mogollon Rim, before he gave up and turned around. I had heard about fires in that area since I left, but it was sad to have it confirmed for this one much loved area. Sometimes I watch backpacking videos in areas where I have camped before, and I can plainly see large stands of now dead trees. So, while I'm pretty sure that many of the places I used to haunt are still in fine or OK conditions, I'm afraid many are devastated. Very sad.

IMG_0440.jpg
    For me, especially down south, it is all of the above. For me, down here, things are just overall more pleasant fall-spring than in the hot, sweaty, humid, buggy, summer time. When the struggle is to stay cool enough, not the opposite. And a snowy landscape can be beautiful, especially to those of us who don't have to look at it much of the year, like I did when I lived in Erie, PA.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    IMG_0440.jpg
    Personally, I hate being all sweaty and I have trouble sleeping when I'm hot. I also hate hiking through bugs...ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos in particular. The occasional rattle snake can be a problem, too, hiking in the summer. I'd much rather camp in cool or even cold weather than HOT muggy weather. I've NEVER had trouble sleeping through a cold night outside. I ALWAYS have trouble sleeping through a hot night.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Personally, I hate being all sweaty and I have trouble sleeping when I'm hot. I also hate hiking through bugs...ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos in particular. The occasional rattle snake can be a problem, too, hiking in the summer. I'd much rather camp in cool or even cold weather than HOT muggy weather. I've NEVER had trouble sleeping through a cold night outside. I ALWAYS have trouble sleeping through a hot night.
    That reminds me also of the spider webs strung up over the trail at night during the warmer seasons. I find hiking through those to be über maddening!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That reminds me also of the spider webs strung up over the trail at night during the warmer seasons. I find hiking through those to be über maddening!!
    If it's real bad you have to hold a hiking pole out like a wire cutter on a helicopter!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Oh Yes!!! I TOTALLY forgot about the spiders! Early morning spider webs booby trapping the trails are awful. Also, a bit unsettling is seeing a sea of glowing eyes covering the ground once the moon has risen...forgot what kind of spider that is that has the glowing eyes, but there are TONS of them in the summer in Arkansas. I've never seen one in cold weather though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast