DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    All good advice above. I would especially echo BillyBob58's recommendation for the torso length CCF pad and head gear. I have a fleece beanie and buff that are mandatory winter items.

What is commonly neglected is leg insulation. Many people complain of general coldness and especially feet, and I think many times this is caused by loss of heat thru the legs. For camp, it's great to have some down pants but you can also use your TQ to cover your lower body when just sitting around (on that CCF pad!) cooking or conversing with companions.

When backpacking, especially in the mountains, we generate a lot of heat, so curiously one of the biggest problems in the winter is overheating, followed by sweating and drenching the base layers. So be very particular about venting with zippers and/or removing layers at the first hint of warmth. It takes quite a bit of body heat to dry out those layers if you get them wet, and in the meantime you're miserably cold. Even so, lower back (due to backpack) and armpits will still be damp but usually dry out fairly quickly if those are the only moist areas.

If it's raining *and* cold—which is by far the most dangerous weather scenario—it is nigh impossible to keep even base layers dry, so it is therefore practically mandatory to have a set of medium-weight synthetic longjohns, top and bottom, to change into after setting up camp. Pile the wet clothing in a plastic bag and don't let it freeze, and change back into the wet clothes in the morning. I've done this a few times over the years, and while it isn't fun it is surprising how quickly you adapt to them in the morning. But you have to keep that dry set dry no matter what.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Great stuff here guys... Really appreciate the feedback. Project number one this weekend is to set up the underquilt before my trip.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trust that you get a good and proper set on the UQ.
    This is where most new hammock folk struggle a bit.
    Enjoy the trip~~!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hyper D
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ + TQ
    Images
    I just came off of a Scout campout in west Georgia where we hit 30 degrees this morning. My set up includes HG 20 Econ top- and under-quilts and a UGQ Winterdream tarp. I slept in in hiking pants and a short-sleeve dri-fit shirt with sock liners on my feet and beanie on my head. My tarp was set up pretty high, with the sides about 2 feed above the ground, and I left the doors open. I also use a small pillow which adds a bit of comfort and insulation around the neck and face.

Despite an occasional light breeze, I slept plenty warm in my 20 degree quilts. I would get a cold spot now and then when trying to adjust body position, but everything warmed up again as soon as I laid still.

I may have missed it above, but one piece of advice I would give is to throw a tshirt or similar into the foot of your quilt to plug up the small hole created by cinching it up. You will notice the draft if you don't cover that hole.

All, just wanted to follow up with a quick trip report...
    Two beautiful nights in Pisgah over the weekend, backpacking around the Butter Gap/Cat Gap/Art Loeb trails. Clear skies, low wind and a beautiful full moon! Evening temps were in mid 20's each night. My 20 degree quilts performed flawlessly! I wore long johns, wool sleeping socks, a fleece balaclava, and a beanie and was snug as a bug in the rug.
    Appreciate everyone's help in getting one more step up the hammock learning curve.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjid View Post
    Two beautiful nights in Pisgah over the weekend, backpacking around the Butter Gap/Cat Gap/Art Loeb trails. Clear skies, low wind and a beautiful full moon! Evening temps were in mid 20's each night. My 20 degree quilts performed flawlessly! I wore long johns, wool sleeping socks, a fleece balaclava, and a beanie and was snug as a bug in the rug.
    Appreciate everyone's help in getting one more step up the hammock learning curve.
    Right on!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Glad to hear of successful experiences!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner
    Tarp
    MAC Cat
    Insulation
    Simply Light UQ
    Suspension
    SLD whoopies
    I recommend m1951 Wool Pants , good wool sock FarmtoFeet Kodiak Socks ,Heavier SmartWool 80 percent wool ones …
    Wiggys Booties for your feet. A old Wool Pendleton Shirt, and light gloves with a beanie of your choice. Decent 20° UQ and 60°-40° top quilt for that area. I am in lower NorthGa and that’s enough this time of year.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Best general advice: NO COTTON CLOTHING AT ALL.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by benjid View Post
    Glad you had a successful outing. Now that you know you have gear capable of keeping your cajones protected, you can start to tweak items for comfort and preferences. I use different sleep gear dependent on whether it will be damp or dry, as do many folks who own both down and synthetic gear. You have to follow the universal gear equation:

perfect amount of gear = amount of gear I own + 1 new piece of gear

Best to you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12