Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Sleeping in a hammock at home

This is just a topic I thought might be interesting... I sleep in a hammock every night at home. My camping UQ and TQ combos are all to warm for indoors so I have some homemade quilts made of lighter down fill that work really well for me. Instead of a 'pillow' I use a travel neck pillow to fill the gap between where the crown of my head and my shoulder land on my hammock. I'm curious how many others sleep in a similar fashion and what ones may do to be comfortable that may differ from being outdoors in a hammock. For instance, I don't take my heavy memory foam neck pillow on the trail, instead I roll up some article of clothing to support my neck. I've read that others sleep in a hammock at home made of less volatile fabrics. I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed over the years but, why not start fresh?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I sleep in a cotton Brazilian hammock at home. I use a regular cotton quilt for cover.I like the weight. For a pillow, I have a really small, rectangular stuffed pillow from Coleman. I’ve never felt the need for an underquilt because my mom lives with us so it never goes below 71* f .
    I love my hammock!

Charlotte

I've been sleeping full time in a hammock at home for almost 2 years now - my indoor hammocking has led me to an interest in outdoor hammocking and backpacking but I haven't yet slept in a hammock outside.

My set up is a Brazilian double hammock with a jury-rigged under quilt made up of an old knitted afghan, a folded down duvet and an electric blanket, my top quilt is a home made crocheted blanket with a foot box and my pillow is a travel neck pillow that I normally prop next to my head and rest my head on. We keep the house at 65F in winter and 72F in summer but I find I need the insulation no matter what the time of year. When I'm really chilled I turn on the electric blanket. The full sized bed pillow in my hammock I use behind my knees at all times.

I love my hammock so much I also have one set up in the living room but that one just has a patio cushion to lay on inside the hammock as under insulation and a small crocheted blanket for warmth. I use a bigger pillow behind my head in that hammock but it's still a small throw pillow. I have another full sized pillow for under my knees in this hammock as well.

Between walking to and from work and walking at work and doing almost any errands on foot I walk between 60 and 70 miles a month. I honestly don't think I could do it if I didn't have the almost weightless/pressure point free time I get in my hammock set up.

I love my hammock!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AJyQEF1cSSu56GSD9

I can't seem to find a Brazilian hammock that I like. I have several in different fabrics but I keep going back to a synthetic hammock since I like that slick feel of decent ripstop. I've been thinking of making a bamboo Brazilian but, being as it tends to absorb a lot of moisture, I kind of assume it will feel cooler. We keep our house pretty cool in the winter... I'll probably always need some kind of bottom insulation. Maybe not so far as a heated blanket though...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Full time here too. Indoors and out. 12’ SLD voyager inside, SLD trail lair outside. I use the lightest trailwinder the Jared makes for an under quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I use an El Dorado, I put a stand in my bedroom close enough to the bed to touch. I have cats, I use cheap Amazon UQs inside in case of kitten attack.

I use different blankets different times of year. I block a drafty window for my wife, so in the winter I use a synthetic sleeping bag with a sewn foot box. Summer I use light cotton.

I like to wash my hammock and blankets weekly so I don't use down inside.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I use an 11' argon 1.6. I don't find 11' and different from my others and I didn't want to carry extra backpacking, so it's my nightly sleeper at home. For a pillow I use a cheap $2.99 travel pillow from Meijer and the pillowcase they sell next to it. It's nice being able to wash that...hair is gross even when you think it's clean.

It may sound like a waste, but I have a 40° HG Econ Incubator exclusively for at home. I didn't want to use my premium backpacking quilts every single day. And at 65-70° in my basement, any quilt would be unnecessary so I use an old fleece blanket I had in the closet. Actually, it's a camo Snuggie. Don't give me a hard time, it was a gift I swear!!

I'll probably die from radon poisoning/lung cancer in 10 years, but what the hell, I had a good run.

I sleep at home in my Myerstech right now which is also my usual camping hammock. It seems like he uses something like 1.6 hyper d but I'm not sure. It definitely doesn't seem like 1.9 to me. I have some 1.9 to make a new hammock for home... I'm afraid of ruining the zipper from nightly use. I made an underquilt from an old down throw by just sewing on some grosgrain and taking some darts from the ends. My top quilt is another old down throw that I sewed a footbox into. I sleep like a baby.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Another one that prefers a cotton Brazilian when not having to carry it around. Of course "at home" is still outside. It just means that I don't have to pack the weight, or bulk, of the Brazilian around when we run off to do a short trip instead of moving the whole encampment.
    I do use the same UQs and UQPs on it that I use on my "camping" hammock. Sometimes I use my camping TQs and sometimes just my wool blankets, depends on the weather as my 20° TQ is warmer than three wool blankets most of the time.

If it's a location that is hot at night I may use my Mayan to sleep in, maybe w/ a bug net and UQP if there are biters.

Oh, and under my head, I use a "Cub" climashield pillow when traveling light as it fits nice under my neck. At "home" I use a bolster style pillow about 4"×12" w/ buckwheat hulls in it. I can adjust the amount of hulls in it and tend to keep just enough in it to support my neck. So it ends up in a bit of a dumbbell shape, narrow under my neck and enough on the sides that it keeps the netting off my face.
    Last edited by LowTech; 11-10-2021 at 18:49.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I switch around between some GE’s and the RidgeRunner (occasionally the RSBTR DIY bridge kit) - but my “at home” is outdoors at home. So right now I’ve got one foot on the 0° UQ/TQ dock and the other on the 20° UQ/TQ boat. This week the boat wins.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast