DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

NJ > Mullica River > 10th Annual Thanksgiving Trek > Nov 26 - Nov 28

After a year off (sort of), it’s once again time for the NJ Thanksgiving Hang!

This year will be a little bit different, though ...

The short version

A few of us plan to head out into the NJ Pine Barrens as usual this Thanksgiving weekend. We’ll be hiking into Mullica River Camp on Black Friday and heading out Sunday. Folks are welcome to join us around the fire – we’ll be at site 8, feel free to come say hello. Looks like someone burned the sitting log(s) though, so bring your own chair or you’ll have to sit on the ground.

The details

This time around will be similar to our first outing way back in 2012. No signup sheet, no planned group meals, minimal “organizing” or anything like that. Consider it less of a traditional group hang, and more of us letting you know we'll be out in the pines, with an invitation to drop by. We’ll have wood and a warm fire, all the other details are up to you. If you plan on camping out, grab a site. If you’ve never been to Mullica River Camp and need advice on site selection, directions, etc. post a message and we’ll help you out.

When: Thanksgiving weekend, Friday November 26th – Sunday November 28th #optoutside

Where: Mullica River Campground

Sites: Reserve your own site(s) as needed. We’ll be at site 8 and can use the fire ring there to hang out. Sites are reserved online at: https://www.njportal.com/DEP/NJOutdoors

Important Note: This is a hike in campground. Mullica River Camp is not accessible by car – you can technically get within a mile or so of the camp by service roads, but you cannot legally get a vehicle to camp. So if you’re interested, plan on walking in. It’s 4-5 miles, depending on which direction you come (4 from Batsto, 5.5 from Atsion) following the yellow blazed Mullica River Trail.

Food: We’ll drop some firewood a mile North of camp and go grab it when we get there, and there’s a water pump on site, but meals will be BYO. So break out those backpacking meals, or pack in some leftovers or something to cook yourself over the fire.

Cost: Whatever your site fees are. If you feel so moved to pitch in a few bucks for firewood, we won’t say no.

A Note About Temps: November in NJ can be an odd month for weather. Sometimes the weather is mild, but in past years we’ve also seen the temps drop down into the teens. We’ve occasionally had some folks underprepared, though we do our best to prevent that. We’ll know better once we get closer but plan ahead, and don’t be caught off guard, since you can't just pack extra gear in your car.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I got site 2 for Friday/Saturday nights. I probably won't make Friday night, more likely to arrive Saturday. Feel free to use my site, but somebody better reserve two trees for me!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-10-2021 at 05:15.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just nabbed site #1 for that weekend. I've been hammocking for years but this is my first NJ hang; all my previous ones were in Indiana and Michigan. So I'm looking forward to meeting people. I expect to be solo that weekend so if anyone needs an spot, feel free to hit me up. Also I plan to get dropped off and ride my bike into the site, so if anyone likes mountain biking or gravel riding, let me know and we can plan a ride on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by BreckDown View Post
    I just nabbed site #1 for that weekend. I've been hammocking for years but this is my first NJ hang; all my previous ones were in Indiana and Michigan. So I'm looking forward to meeting people. I expect to be solo that weekend so if anyone needs an spot, feel free to hit me up. Also I plan to get dropped off and ride my bike into the site, so if anyone likes mountain biking or gravel riding, let me know and we can plan a ride on Saturday and/or Sunday.
    Look forward to meeting you.

I'll be honest, I'm can't recall what the tree situation looks like for site 1. Most sites there have a space for at least 1 hammock, though the ones that have room for multiple are sites 2, 4, 7, 8, and 9.

2, 7, and 8 are the best options and we've got all those covered.

Either way, there will be plenty of room I'm sure.

Are you planning to ride in from Atsion (North) or Batsto (South)?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Full disclosure - in past years I've done a lot more planning for this including coordinating the booking of sites, planning group meals, etc. But I'll admit, I just don't have the mental energy for it this year, plus I'll be bringing my kid for the first time so I'll have extra stuff on my plate with that.

So we'll just wing it, and see what happens!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    LOL of course I guess on wrong site. I'm totally open to ground camping if I need to, so if someone reads this and knows that there is no good hanging spots at site 1 please let me know. I'll be coming in from the Batsto side more than likely. It really depends what time I arrive and if I go exploring before or after I set up camp. I'm still working out the logistics on how I'm getting to the park at the moment.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Pretty sure you can hang atleast 1 hammock in site 1.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I expect to be solo that weekend so if anyone needs an spot, feel free to hit me up.
    FYI - you'll be lucky to find trees for one hammock at site #1, so forget sharing the site! I can only recall seeing a hammock camper there once, and that was probably five years ago. He found two trees but they were too close together and he ended up pretty much laying on the ground. I'm not even sure there are still two trees at site #1 - there was a bad storm a few years ago and a lot of trees were cut down throughout Mullica.

See post #40 from 2013 in the following thread, indicating you could "maybe" hang one hammock, but that was eight years ago.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=pine+barrens
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh well it looks like I get to play with my ground pounding gear that weekend. I'll complain to my wife and create an excuse to buy more gear.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Oh well it looks like I get to play with my ground pounding gear that weekend. I'll complain to my wife and create an excuse to buy more gear.
    You don’t have to worry about that unless you’re itching to sleep on the ground.

Bring your hammock kit, and if for some reason there are no trees in site 1, I’m sure we can find room for you in one of the other sites we have. No worries!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast