DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    FYI - you'll be lucky to find trees for one hammock at site #1, so forget sharing the site! I can only recall seeing a hammock camper there once, and that was probably five years ago. He found two trees but they were too close together and he ended up pretty much laying on the ground. I'm not even sure there are still two trees at site #1 - there was a bad storm a few years ago and a lot of trees were cut down throughout Mullica.

See post #40 from 2013 in the following thread, indicating you could "maybe" hang one hammock, but that was eight years ago.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=pine+barrens
    I think they've moved/relocated a few of those interior sites in the last couple years (as well as relocate the outhouses), so that reference video is sadly out of date.

Maybe we should make a new one while we're out there this year, since we usually have nothing better to do as we hang around on Saturday during the day.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I think they've moved/relocated a few of those interior sites in the last couple years (as well as relocate the outhouses), so that reference video is sadly out of date.

Maybe we should make a new one while we're out there this year, since we usually have nothing better to do as we hang around on Saturday during the day.
    Reference video? I couldn't find one. Did you?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Reference video? I couldn't find one. Did you?
    Didn't Ratdog make a video for Mullica? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and he only made one for LF ...

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I booked site 1 a few years ago, and we managed to hang 3 hammocks there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    I booked site 1 a few years ago, and we managed to hang 3 hammocks there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks George, good to know.

NJR and I took a good look at sites 3 and 4 the other day when we passed through (because we almost booked there instead of LF) and we did some recon on 8 and 9 as well just to see what state they were in this year, but since we almost always use site 7 or 8 I'll admit I'm not super familiar with all the sites at Mullica. Appreciate the intel!

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I ran out to the Mullica River Campground today. I was able to grab some pictures of all sites except #2 (there was a hammock camper there) and site #8 there was someone camped there. You can find the pics here. They aren't the greatest pictures since but they at least show what the sites look like currently. As for the Site 1 debate. There are 2 spots to hang. One is a 5-pace spot, so a little short. The other is a 6-pace spot but the tree at one end just seems a little sketchy, but I'm most likely over reacting on that.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by BreckDown View Post
    I ran out to the Mullica River Campground today. I was able to grab some pictures of all sites except #2 (there was a hammock camper there) and site #8 there was someone camped there. You can find the pics here. They aren't the greatest pictures since but they at least show what the sites look like currently. As for the Site 1 debate. There are 2 spots to hang. One is a 5-pace spot, so a little short. The other is a 6-pace spot but the tree at one end just seems a little sketchy, but I'm most likely over reacting on that.
    Cool, thanks!

It's funny - we've camped at Mullica dozens of times over the past 10 years, but we usually grab the same sites over and over, and tend to not pay any attention to the others, so it's good to take a fresh look every once in a while.

At this point, it looks like we have folks attending that have grabbed 1, 2, 7, and 8. There's also a back area (technically right on 'camp limits') behind 7 and 8 that we hang in sometimes especially when we have both sites. So at this point we likely have enough room/trees for over a dozen hammocks, and I don't think we have that many people. So we should be good.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I booked site 4
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Obviously based on my first post I was thinking about turning this into a bikepacking trip for myself. I noticed before I went on my hike out to the camp sites yesterday that the Mullica River Trail specifies on trail markers that no bikes are permitted. However, where the trail stops paralleling and joins into the Mullica River Road the sign only states "No Motorized Vehicles" which leads and I saw no other markers leading me to believe bikes weren't permitted into that section to the camp ground. Does anyone know if the trail rules trump the road rules going into the campground? Or if there is more clear signage coming from the other direction? The logistics of fitting cold weather gear on a bike is already making me reconsider my options so it's not going to bream my heart if I can't ride in.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This page says there are five biking trails in Wharton State Forest, and Mullica River isn't one of them.

My browser is screwed up - can't get the links, but search on "biking in Wharton State Forest."

http://www.state.nj.us%2Fdep%2Fparks...df&clen=157975

https://www.state.nj.us › dep › wharton_brochure_text
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast