Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets

What knot to connect 3 guylines together?

I have 3 guylines that, at one are connected lineloc 3’s, and at the other end I would like to connect to a tarp stake. For simplicity I would like to connect the 3 lines together at their stake end so I am only putting one loop over the stake. Do you have any suggestions on what knot/knots that I should use so these lines are connected and terminated with one loop?

Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I just tried it with a Marlin spike hitch and that worked well... Lawson 2mm Ironwire.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

hmmm. before the knots, the problem here is angle (in other words, "it's probably not what you want(TM)"

when you guy out a tarp, especially a woven one, the angle of the guyline is most important (more important than the tension in the guyline).

having said that, there are a few options i would consider:

1. (closest to what you asked, i guess): think of one guyline as the "main", make a loop at the end of this one; tie the other two guylines as friction hitches on the main one (blake hitch or maybe farrimond, whatever you prefer). this has the advantage it is adjustable, so you can change the angle of one guyline or the other, without having to retie everything. i use this from time to time to tangle two tarps together in confined spaces (this helps to route guylines of one tarp out of the way, partially reuse staking points, etc, it's a very versatile trick to have in your pocket)

2. when i want versatility and simplicity in the field, without the need to tie knots in the field, i terminate the guyline with what i call a "unishackle"; it's basically a combination of a butterfly loop and a stopper knot, and makes it so you have a closeable loop at the end of the line, which is both secure once closed, and easy to open/close (much like a carabiner) described here ; these are also handy as soft lineloc3 replacements, but i guess you're not interested in that now.

so you could terminate all 3 guylines with this (which is basically just two knots), and either attach them to the stake individually, or chose a main one, and have the other two attach to it. the advantage is that it's easy to change configuration in a hurry, without having to retie knots in the field. (if the situation in the field requires individual guylines tied to bushes, you can just release them from eachother in 3 seconds, and then you can tie each one to whatever you want, without ever having to tie a knot; not too bad, if i may say so myself)

i'm sure i had a 3rd one in mind, but i need more coffee (and to get to work), hope this helps somewhat, meanwhile

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    1. (closest to what you asked, i guess): think of one guyline as the "main", make a loop at the end of this one; tie the other two guylines as friction hitches on the main one
    I have used this approach successfully many times in the past. In fact, I have an 8'x10' rectangular tarp that I leave strung up this way so I can tension 5 grommets along each side (10 total) to just four corner stakes. Makes for a nice tight pitch!

I think this ancient video is where I first saw the concept, and although it's old, it describes it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo (Edit: The part about stringing up the multiple side point starts at 2:52 in the video.)
    Last edited by Marlin; 11-19-2021 at 23:09.
    "I'll circle in the helicopter with the camera while Jim flushes out the wild rhino on foot." -Marlin Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I have used this approach successfully many times in the past. In fact, I have an 8'x10' rectangular tarp that I leave strung up this way so I can tension 5 grommets along each side (10 total) to just four corner stakes. Makes for a nice tight pitch!

I think this ancient video is where I first saw the concept, and although it's old, it describes it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo (Edit: The part about stringing up the multiple side point starts at 2:52 in the video.)
    indeed, that's basically what i suggested at (1). i would keep the tension adjusting hitches at the tarp tieout though (like you'd have with a lineloc3, or my vt or blake tarp tensioning system), and use another friction hitch to slide them around on the main guyline.

i haven't used this much tbh, because i find it limited in terms of usability (basically, it works when you can keep the guylines long (so the anchor points far from the tarp), the closer you get the less sense it makes. i'm playing with other ideas which i think are more promising, but there's some testing to do. still, in the meanwhile, this is, imho, a very good trick that can make the difference between a floppy tarp and a nice, more stable pitch. thanks for sharing the video, i hadn't seen it anywhere before, didn't think anyone else was playing with it

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I've tried a few tie out options and my latest experiment, best one yet, is a woopie sling. I made the WS from double braided Mason line. Larks head it onto the tarp tie out. Put it over the stake and tighten.
    No knots, no line locks, no dutch gear. Leave the on the tarp and always ready to go.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’m not sure I can picture exactly how you want to use your guylines.
    Some people hate knots, because they forget or never learn how to tie them.
    Some people hate knots because they chose the wrong knots and those knots failed to hold or slipped.
    And who hasn’t had this happen—when packing up their knot has jammed and to save time, it’s cut loose!

Maybe try a knot, you might already know, that will hold without slipping and won’t jam.
    Also it can be tied in middle of rope—without pulling six feet of line through the knot for each step.

Marlin spike hitch!
    Hold all three guylines in your hand, palm up.
    Short ends or loose ends hanging off your hand nearest pinky finger. Form marlin spike hitch with all three at once if you want. Insert a carabiner or strong stick (no twigs this application) as toggle for marlin spike hitch.

If instead you want an adjustable slip and grip knot, you might want to use Farrimond friction hitch. For zingit, you should use about 5 or 6 wraps—this will give you 10 or 12 coils.
    If you use Farrimond friction hitch, each of your three lines would have to be tied separately, but they could all three wrap around same stake or tree

You might want to watch my videos on YouTube
    Phantom Grapplers Recommended Ties Part 1 and Part 2
    Lots of good hammock camping knots there.
    If there is a knot you want to learn on my videos, but it’s not clear. Simply search YouTube and there will be a dozen videos of same knots by different people. At least one of those videos will better and will click for you.
    Then that knot will be yours

• + New Posts