Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Freezing weather returning to GA

I saw low temperatures in the upper 20s in the forecast and asked the wife if she was interested. She gave the predictable "brrrrrr no way." That's fine, because that meant I got to take her Superior Gear insulated 15F hammock and give it a test ride.

It was 44F when I got to the trailhead and I only had an hour of trail time before sunset. Got as far as I could and setup camp in the dusk and made a quick dinner before turning in at 8 pm. I stirred a little bit before dawn wondering why my feet were a bit less warm than everywhere else and with some "calf ridge" only to discover that my feet were just hanging out of the hammock and the "calf ridge" was the edge of the hammock. Dope! Can you tell I'm used to the footbox in the Blackbird? Lol.

All in all, I was in the hammock for 13 hours and probably was asleep at least 11 of them. Toasty and warm until the early morning hours when I would describe it more as "comfortable" which I've noticed is a trend for me that I think is due to metabolism slowing down. I loved having the insulation built in across the whole hammock, never had to worry about going into too wide of a figure 4 and finding un-insulated surface. Even with my footbox incident, they were still wrapped up in my TQ footbox.

I didn't really have any solid plans for the day so I did breakfast in bed and just kind of lounged around camp for a while before packing up and taking a couple of game trails back to the trailhead. It was good to just be in the woods.

It's always funny seeing TU stream improvement projects nowhere near any roads.

nice where in north Georgia were you?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by ezdoesit View Post
    nice where in north Georgia were you?
    Somewhat close to Suches, near the AT.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I wondered if you would sell your 20* Wookie if it afforded you to buy a Superior hammock for yourself? Ive been going back and forth with the idea... would love your perspective. Thanks
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 11-07-2021 at 13:49.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock 15 degree
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Nice! Sounds like my husband and I. I'm not sure he will last much longer as we head out into winter. So funny since he runs hot and I run cold. You would think it would be opposite. He did commit to hiking out and camping this week though. Yay!!!

I cannot wait for my Superior Gear Hammock to come in the mail. It should be here before December. Early Christmas gift for me!
    Hiking my own hike and hanging my own hang. This is where my happy is!
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    I wondered if you would sell your 20* Wookie if it afforded you to buy a Superior hammock for yourself? Ive been going back and forth with the idea... would love your perspective. Thanks
    It's an interesting question and I would need more side by side comparison to say for sure (and hopefully will get back to back nights to test them out in similar weather in the next couple months). Here's my current take:

I would keep my wooki/blackbird xl combo. My one night in feel for it was that the Superior hammock was a little less spacious because it's a bit more narrow (this didn't really come up in my previous hour or two long trials, so maybe it was an odd hang on my part this one night). The other primary reason, though, is because I can "vent" the wooki by using some string to hang it loosely in warm weather and I found the Superior hammock too warm when it's above 55F (mileage may vary with the 30F rated hammock vs the 15F).

That being said, if it's going to be in the low 20s and I'm by myself, I'm probably choosing the Superior as I feel it's quite a bit warmer than my wooki that's only 5F difference in rating and still quite comfortable in its own right. Just looking at the 2 side by side, you can tell there's a substantial difference in fill between the two. Combine that with me being a tosser turner who has a tendency to get out of the lane on the wooki and I'm skeptical (though I've yet to have the opportunity to test) that it will get me all the way down to the temperature rating.

Now, would I trade the HG Incubator 20F that I still have for a SG 30F, yes I would.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippi View Post
    Nice! Sounds like my husband and I. I'm not sure he will last much longer as we head out into winter. So funny since he runs hot and I run cold. You would think it would be opposite. He did commit to hiking out and camping this week though. Yay!!!

I cannot wait for my Superior Gear Hammock to come in the mail. It should be here before December. Early Christmas gift for me!
    The waiting is the hardest part, I remember. You'll like it and it definitely opens the door for more winter camping.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Heaven on earth around Suches! Thanks for the great report and photos!

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Very pretty. Looks like you picked a great spot.

• + New Posts