Help with WB Ridgerunner weight recommendations

Hi, thinking about trying a ridgerunner. I like the idea of the single layer to save money and weight, but I'm wondering about the 200 lb comfort rating.

I weigh 185 - 190 lb. Add in sleepwear, a top quilt, an under quilt, CPAP, some miscellaneous things, maybe a light bag hanging off the suspension, and I'll probably be a bit over 200 lb. Should I therefore consider the double layer?

Not expecting to use a pad.

Thanks
    Last edited by sloth99; 11-05-2021 at 11:16. Reason: Grammar

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember that load weight assumes certain hang angles. 190 lbs in the hammock can easily exceed over 200 lbs force on the system with shallow hang angles. Given all that other stuff, you are only talking about 2.5 oz. difference between single and double layer. Let me say that again. 2.5 ounces! So the “extra” weight would be my last concern. It will feel a bit firmer - which might be a feature for you. It also gives you the option of adding something light - like ReflexIt - in the sleeve to extend the temperature comfort rating as fall turns into winter. Of course you can add some pad to a single layer, but a pad is usually much better behaved in a sleeve. I’m not saying to use a pad instead of a UQ. Just that the DL gives you more options.

In full disclosure, I picked up a SL RR this summer. BUT, I’m well within the weight rating and I also paired it with Ruta Locura CF poles. I’ve used the DL for years and am using now for sleeping outside at home. And I’ve added some ReflexIt in the sleeve so I don’t yet have to move to my winter UQ’s. This is the time of year where use the ThermoDrop Min/Max thermometer to assess my comfort level and how cold it can get before I have to switch to warmer quilts.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-05-2021 at 16:27.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks cougarmeat

I will add that I have used a blue foam pad between the double layers instead of an underquilt and it works really well.

Thanks DrPhun

I have a WBRR double layer with a few hundred nights on it, most of which with me weighing around 230 lbs. I wonder if a single layer would have held up to that.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I have been using a single layer RR and use the Ruta Locura CF poles. I weigh almost 200 and I have probably about 5 lbs of personal stuff/water in the hammock with me not including the UQ/TQ. I don't hang my bag off the hammock and I don't think anyone else would. I hang off a tree or the straps.

• + New Posts