Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I still want to figure out a way to get 100% inside and breathe through a hose to the outside.

81% joking, but falling after each winter.

Believe it or not, I considered the same thing, some sort of snorkel. I considered a cardboard tube from paper towels. But, with a tiny breathing hole, I never actually had any condensation problems. To my great surprise, a couple of hours near dawn on a 10F morning, even completely closed I had no noticeable problems. (but boy did I warm up noticeably when I closed it all the way! ) I suppose that the Velcro closure was far enough from being a good seal that my breath could escape, even fully closed.

In that picture where I am on my side (not sure if you can tell that I am on my side), I would just rotate that pod so that my breathing hole was also to the side, I'd get it very close to my face, and my breath would just blow outside and condense into snow and fall to the ground. I had a LOT of insulation around(and uncompressed insulation) my head when doing this, and I'm convinced that contributed greatly to my warmth.

Images
    Ha! This picture "popped up", while I was looking at a Tensa thread. It's me way back in Jan 08, on my first time out- first time hang- with my brand new 900FP, Speer Pea Pod, wrapped around a 9 ft X 58"(54"? 60"?) wide Speer hammock. You can't tell by the pic, but boy was I exited. It was a "cold" (for us) day, 40ºF, but I was toasty warm inside the pod with no other layers other than the cotton jeans and shirt (synthetic hat) I am wearing in that picture. This was the start of a loving relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I still want to figure out a way to get 100% inside and breathe through a hose to the outside.
    The Hammock Womb. Coming in 2022. Ultralight umbilical available for $50 more.

Images
    When you look at those last pictures I posted from 08, look closely at the ends. Then consider how hard we have to fight to keep cold air from coming in the ends(either) of our UQs. Too loose and cold air rushes in. Too tight and it causes some sort of gap elsewhere in the system. Or, too tight and it causes valleys on the end where cold air can rush in. But this thing is cinched down tight on the last few inches of the hammock on both ends of the hammock, with insulation surrounding the ends and entire hammock. Much easier to get it to consistently work, IMO.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Yes, I saved links to those pix so I can look at the ends again if I do try to make something like this.

I am interested in the idea of a PodSock (TM) too -- that sounds like it could do a lot of the work the PeaPod does -- keeping drafts out, for example. Hmmm... again!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Yes, I saved links to those pix so I can look at the ends again if I do try to make something like this.

I am interested in the idea of a PodSock (TM) too -- that sounds like it could do a lot of the work the PeaPod does -- keeping drafts out, for example. Hmmm... again!

Is that (PodSock) a product one can buy now, or something you are considering making?

I always considered the way the Speer Pea Pod closed around the ends the biggest contributor- or almost at least- to it's consistent warmth. Originally designed to go with the Speer hammocks which were 8 ft and the later 9 ft, on the shorter hammocks it would actually go past the end knots and cinch down tight around the suspension. This was the 9 ft version- I think- that I was using. Still, it can be seen that it is cinched down pretty good around the hammock and still pretty close to the ends. Also, if I thought an even better end "seal" was needed, I could stuff a pair of socks that end opening and cinch down on that. Or, as Shug has always done, just use a a jacket or vest closed over the end of the pod, acting also as an extension to go all the way out on the suspension, then used a piece of cord to cinch er down. Which has the advantage of adding even more loft all around the feet, a problem area for some people. Bomb proof. Thete is going to be virtually no draft sneaking in from the ends. It is going to be about the same draft wise as having your feet in a sleeping bag on a pad. All of that insulation- pod or bag plus jacket- is going to be all around the hammock and my feet. My coldest hangs (10F) in the 20F rated Pea Pod did not use that trick, just a summer weight (40F? 50F?) synthetic liner bag used as a TQ inside the pod. Or, in the high 20s, with just my puffy clothing layered over my torso, plus insulated pants(8 oz total weight), no TQ. But I never once had cold feet. So the pod must have insulated pretty well around the feet, preventing practically all drafts.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    PodSock(TM) -- I just made up the name for a little joke!

Cold feet are my bane -- when it's 60 degrees out and I'm moving around my feet can get cold!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    PodSock(TM) -- I just made up the name for a little joke!

Cold feet are my bane -- when it's 60 degrees out and I'm moving around my feet can get cold!
    Did you ever try VB socks, and/or Shug's trick of wrapping a puffy jacket or vest around the foot end of a hammock and UQ, pod style?

I was not using Shug's trick the time my feet were over heated and sweating at +6F. But maybe a good thing I didn't or might have suffered from spontaneous combustion. What I was using, from inside out: Stepneson's Warmlight(sp?) lined VB socks, plus I think 1 pair of loose wool socks(not sure if I had those or not), synthetic booties, footbox of a 30F TQ, and a cut off short WM blue pad under my legs (to reduce calf ridge), all inside an HHSS including over cover. I don't think I have ever suffered from cold feet during my hammock hanging days (though I have when up and hiking or sitting around camp). Still, on this +6F night I had the warmest feet I have ever had. Actually too warm. I needed to remove something. The booties maybe. Or socks if I had them. Or the VB socks, but I would not remove those since this was a VB clothing experiment. But I was too lazy to come out of my warm cocoon long enough to remove anything, so I just slept with too hot feet until the sun was up. My feet felt wet, but I knew that sweat would not be able to get into my insulation, so I ignored it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123