Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, I did not know this was still available! If I was not already into Superior gear insulated hammock for this year, I would be tempted to order a WM bag and this extender to go with it to rig up my own pod! Will this extender fit all WM bags?
    I am assuming so.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I have a question about the PeaPod concept: does it limit the diagonal lay to a serious extent? The first time I slept outside (one New Year's Night!), I zipped together two sleeping bags to make a Pod, which allowed some movement toward the diagonal, but I was wearing an insulated coverall, so the issue of drafts was not there. It was cozy, I liked it, and it seems like such a perfect solution, except for the limitation of being mostly in-line with the hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    I have a question about the PeaPod concept: does it limit the diagonal lay to a serious extent? The first time I slept outside (one New Year's Night!), I zipped together two sleeping bags to make a Pod, which allowed some movement toward the diagonal, but I was wearing an insulated coverall, so the issue of drafts was not there. It was cozy, I liked it, and it seems like such a perfect solution, except for the limitation of being mostly in-line with the hammock.
    I can get on the diagonal in my pod. Maybe not as much but warmth rules the night~~
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Well, as far as "the PeaPod concept", I guess it depends on a number of variables. Using specifically the no longer available Speer Pea Pod, for me (6'1", 205 lb usually), it never limited my diagonal in the least. Not on the hammocks I used it on, which included the narrow Claytor No Net and the somewhat wider Speer hammock. But, maybe those hammocks themselves did not allow for an extreme diagonal that some might want in the 1st place. But none of that was of any importance to me, because those hammocks, with or without the Speer Pea Pod, allowed me all the diagonal I wanted, which was enough to avoid knee extension(from a so called banana curve), and both allowed me to sleep side fetal, and the Claytor also allowed a very comfy side sleep with my legs straight. I could still do 100% of that with these hammocks completely encompassed by the 9 X 6 Speer Pea Pod. (The Polar Pod was even bigger)

But here is one thing I could not do very well(often would also not work well with normal UQs): Sometimes I liked to play with an extreme diagonal, virtually 90º, in fetal position. I liked this because a little fabric shelf would form pushing up on my waist, totally eliminating any hint of side twist. If I tried that with the Pea Pod, the top Velcro closure would pop open at the widest part. If I had some one available to check, I bet they would have found that some of the down was compressed where I was pushing out on those sides. So this would not really work with my pod.

But in any way that I normally slept in a gathered end hammock, using enough diagonal to accomplis what I needed, I saw no limitations whatsoever. But, that Speer Pea Pod was quite wide in the middle, and longer than sleeping bags while tapering down a lot on the ends(just as our gathered hammocks do). How that would work out trying to adapt any given sleeping bag I can not say. It seems to me that Shug did not complain of any loss of hammock comfort during his DIY sleeping bag to pod conversions. Although he did later add a bag extender panel (see Shug's post 11-04-2021, 16:27) to give him about 6" more width and room for the UQs and TQs that he added for minus 40F. But I don't think he complained of significant loss of comfort due to loss of diagonal before he added that wedge expander.

What about it Shug? Did your DIY pods mess you up significantly re: diagonal or comfort?

EDIT: ooops, I see Shug already answered that right about the same time I was asking it)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback on your experiences. The two bags I had zipped together were large & rectangular so they were pretty spacious (don't have them anymore though).
    I'd love to know if anyone has measurements/specs for any of the official Pods. Wider in the middle, tapering on the ends.... hmmmm.....

Images
    Thanks for the feedback on your experiences. The two bags I had zipped together were large & rectangular so they were pretty spacious (don't have them anymore though).
    I'd love to know if anyone has measurements/specs for any of the official Pods. Wider in the middle, tapering on the ends.... hmmmm.....

The commercial Speer Pea Pod was 9 ft long by 6 ft wide in the middle, tapering to (if memory serves) 3 ft wide of the ends. It opened flat like a bed quilt or blanket. (I, at 6'1", had zero issues with diagonal lay) It had a full length Velcro top closure, and just closed completely around the hammock, at least it did on the original 8 and 9 ft Speers, obviously a 10 ft hammock(like my Claytor No Net) was going to have about 6" on each end not covered, 11 ft hammocks about a foot on each end. (this seemed to cause very little problem) But, if you use the Shug trick of wrapping a jacket around the foot end, you gained a couple of extra feet coverage. I think when TTTG (maker of the highly reviewed Switchback hammocks) took over for Speer, I think he made them very close to the same specs. He added a Polar Pod model, which was maybe a foot longer and wider. The big advantage for that was it more easily allowed the addition of extra quilts inside for below zero, and allowed more of the TQ section to drape down from the hammocks high side/edges, to contact the torso without any gap that would need filling.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-17-2021 at 23:29.

Images
    I would enjoy seeing some folks who are not as warm as they expected with their new quilts- or those few who are outright cold at or even above rated temps- experimenting with this. Especially those considering buying a new warmer quilt(TQ or UQ) or a quilt for stacking purposes. Even a 40F or maybe 50F bag should be all that is needed, and should provide a dramatic boost. Because, not only will it be equal to perfectly stacking quilts, and probably better due to the full length support along the top. But it will add draft proofing. This is what is so often missing when folks are disappointed with their quilt performance. Gaps and drafts are so often the problem. Even a summer weight pod addition will go a long ways towards solving those problems, as well as adding whatever amount of insulation which they are rated for.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Thanks BB58! At some point I want to try to mock something up, perhaps by modifying a cheap large sleeping bag, just to try it out. If I were to create something that seems like it would work, I'd try to make one furreal... I have not spent a lot of time camping out in the cold, so I don't know if my usual stuff works well enough, but I'm intrigued by the idea of the Pod, given my first experience sleeping-out in the cold! It just seems like it MAKES SENSE.

Velcro closure, eh? Interesting. Lighter than a zipper I suppose, but could (on entry/exit) get caught on other things (fleece pants or jacket, socks, etc.). Hmm. More to consider!

[Edit: I'm 5' 2" so the diagonal lay is pretty easy for me in an 11' hammock!]

Images
    Thanks BB58! At some point I want to try to mock something up, perhaps by modifying a cheap large sleeping bag, just to try it out. If I were to create something that seems like it would work, I'd try to make one furreal... I have not spent a lot of time camping out in the cold, so I don't know if my usual stuff works well enough, but I'm intrigued by the idea of the Pod, given my first experience sleeping-out in the cold! It just seems like it MAKES SENSE.

Velcro closure, eh? Interesting. Lighter than a zipper I suppose, but could (on entry/exit) get caught on other things (fleece pants or jacket, socks, etc.). Hmm. More to consider!

[Edit: I'm 5' 2" so the diagonal lay is pretty easy for me in an 11' hammock!]
    5'2"? WOW! At 1 foot shorter than me, I can't see any sort of reasonably wide pod causing you any trouble with the diagonal!

Truly, it does make sense. And it does not have to be heavy to help. In fact, I'm pretty sure just a wind proof nylon shell, big enough to surround the hammock and quilts ene to end, with enough room to drape down onto my body, would be a noticeable help. IOW, an UQP + a TQP, reducing drafts and maybe adding some support for the UQ(thus reducing gaps), due to the fact that this fabric pod is itself supported by the full length of the top edges of the hammock.

True, that sounds awfully close to a sock, but being a pod for me means they are not over the RL. They are in contact with the insulation and/or myself, all the way around. So, your head can either be totally outside the pod, or the breathing hole lets moist breath out( with the pod I had, anywhere from wide open to less than a 1/4" right in front of my mouth).

But of course, the pods we are talking about- especially when added to UQs and TQs- (such as Shug has done) usually ARE adding at least a little insulation. And for me, the amount they add always feels like a whole lot more than expected. Way more. Probably due to solving draft and gap issues. Plus the fact that on top and along the edges, you can not kick the pod part off during sleep. Again, potential(and not uncommon) draft eliminated.

Assuming any top gaps(from the hammock lifting the TQ part) are filled with clothing or light quilts, how was I ever going to be cold in this thing? Well, I never was. (In the 2nd pic, with my head outside the pod, it looks like I have been decapitated ):

Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2021 at 13:38.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I still want to figure out a way to get 100% inside and breathe through a hose to the outside.

81% joking, but falling after each winter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast