Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Struggling to stay warm

Hello all,

I must be a very very cold sleeper because I thought for certain I's be sleeping roasty this weekend and instead was on the cold side. Temperatures only got down to 26°F so it wasn't excessive at all and I've tent and car camped down to -40°F before.

Here's my problem, I'm not warm enough to be comfortable. I have the Blackbird XLC hammock, superfly, scandi wookie uq (no overfill), scandi diamobdback tq (no overfill), Warbonner winter cover instead of netting, was wearing Buffalo Wool Co's thickest socks with Darntough mountaineer socks overtop, microfleece full body long johns, fleece pants, wool long shirt, a flannel jacket lined with fake shearling, hat, and gloves. All of that and I'm still cold at 26°F.

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to add to sleep warm? I love camping in winter in Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin. I had thought with the UQ and TQ rated for -20° I'd at least be warm at 0°. Do I need some sort of sock or cover? Is there lightweight packable intensely warm sleepwear I ought to switch to? I know LocoLibre sells gear rated for -40° do I just need to change from using Warbonnet quilts? Please help a new hanger who does not want to return to the dirt.

Before I begin to give any advise. What is the temp range of your top and under quilt. Second. Where are you cold. Specifically.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    My first thought is that you have too much clothes on. I've been down to 19° w/ my 20° Trailwinder and didn't wear half that. Was I toasty? No, but that was more that I didn't have a good TQ or bag to use as one. I still wasn't suffering that much.

I find that the more I wear the longer it takes for my to feel warm. If I crawl in w/ just a fleece vest, or long sleeve thermal and vest if it's closer to freezing, I can feel the heat coming back off my UQ almost right away.
    Nothing like feeling as if you have a heating pad under you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like you were over-insulated with all that sub 0º gear at 26º.
    Also wearting too many clothes. Then you sweat and get chilled.
    Just my 3¢
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    If I need anything in addition to my go-to cold weather wool base layer, I carry my UL Pertex Quantum synthetic pullover & companion pants. I've also worn a down jacket (more like a sweater) on a few trips. Wearing something on my head is a definite.

Now, if you're getting in the -20 deg to -40 deg territory, I defer to Shug.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    If I need anything in addition to my go-to cold weather wool base layer, I carry my UL Pertex Quantum synthetic pullover & companion pants. I've also worn a down jacket (more like a sweater) on a few trips. Wearing something on my head is a definite.

Can I ask what brand of wool you have? I'm looking to get some for this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by the_cameron_family View Post
    Before I begin to give any advise. What is the temp range of your top and under quilt. Second. Where are you cold. Specifically.
    Thanks Cameron Family. Both top quilt and underquilt are rated for -20°F. I was cold all over, but my feet were the coldest. Maybe because the winter top has the largest portion of mesh to vent out moisture in that area over the feet

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sounds like you were over-insulated with all that sub 0º gear at 26º.
    Also wearting too many clothes. Then you sweat and get chilled.
    Just my 3¢
    Shug
    Thanks Shug. I guess I didn't feel like I was sweating, but maybe. Just felt dry and cold. Love your youtube channel by the way, huge help to a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post

Thanks ObdewlaX. I suppose I had my thermal on and then my wool layer, so maybe I wasn't getting the most performance out of the wool (a 250 Smartwool longsleeve). I'll be googling the Pertex gear you have mentioned right away.
    Last edited by JayArches; 11-01-2021 at 22:35.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayArches View Post
    Thanks Cameron Family. Both top quilt and underquilt are rated for -20°F. I was cold all over, but my feet were the coldest.

Thanks Shug. I guess I didn't feel like I was sweating, but maybe. Just felt dry and cold. Love your youtube channel by the way, huge help to a newbie.

Thanks ObdewlaX. I suppose I had my thermal on and then my wool layer, so maybe I wasn't getting the most performance out of the wool (a 250 Smartwool longsleeve). I'll be googling the Pertex gear you have mentioned right away.
    It is more just a condensation than a sweat. Experiment. Try being warm (jumping jacks, camp chores) when you crawl into the hammock and wear less clothing sleeping. Let those UQs and TQs do their job.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I don't even carry that much clothing at those temps. If you actually hike in any of that, it's got too much condensation in it already to qualify as sleep cloths. I second and third what Shug an others have said.

Try a dedicated pair of at least base layers and a pair of socks. Use them only to change into in camp and for sleeping. Work from the bottom up. I your feet are still too cold, try a sit pad in the footbox before throwing on another pair of socks. Make sure you have the right head gear and make sure you have your blood pumping a little bit before turning in. You might need a little high energy food to stoke the furnace so a snack or warm drink before climbing in your hammock might help too.

It's not against the law to get up in the night if you feel you've run your body heat out and "recharge" it a bit. Doing a few stretches can never really hurt on the trail any time and who knows, you might see or hear something really interesting. Early morning hours are when most of the cool stuff is happening out there anyway.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I don't even carry that much clothing at those temps. If you actually hike in any of that, it's got too much condensation in it already to qualify as sleep cloths. I second and third what Shug an others have said.

Try a dedicated pair of at least base layers and a pair of socks. Use them only to change into in camp and for sleeping. Work from the bottom up. I your feet are still too cold, try a sit pad in the footbox before throwing on another pair of socks. Make sure you have the right head gear and make sure you have your blood pumping a little bit before turning in. You might need a little high energy food to stoke the furnace so a snack or warm drink before climbing in your hammock might help too.

It's not against the law to get up in the night if you feel you've run your body heat out and "recharge" it a bit. Doing a few stretches can never really hurt on the trail any time and who knows, you might see or hear something really interesting. Early morning hours are when most of the cool stuff is happening out there anyway.
    All of it was dedicated to sleep only, except the flannel jacket. I changed into clean dry clothes just prior to bed.
    I'll try the sit pad idea.

I definitely didn't get my blood going before bed, so mistake there, and the hot drink sounds brilliant. Maybe I've also got **** blood circulation, my husband is always complaining about my cold hands and feet hahaha.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast