Superior Hammock 15 degree
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    When I first started hammock camping, I wouldn't even try colder weather. Anything below 30* F was not for me. Eventually, I started experimenting with temps in the teens, and really struggled staying warm. Then I read somewhere on this forum that I should try sleeping as close to naked as possible so that the goose down could do its job.

The lowest temps I've ever experienced was -3* F, and I slept in my hammock naked as a jaybird. Whenever I get cold in my hammock, I start taking clothes off, not putting them on, because I believe goose down is way more efficient at retaining warmth when unencumbered by polyester, fleece and yes, even wool.
    I'm going to have to try this. I guess I never thought about less is more when it comes to the cold. I'm always cold.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If socks make a line or indentation on your leg, then they are too tight, reducing circulation to your feet
    Ok to wear one pair of Loose wool socks or down booties

Plus plus plus. Eat good for easily available fuel to keep warm

Sometimes underquilts get an air gap if not set up perfectly
    When it’s really cold out, I stack two underquilts
    Highly skilled hammock campers get full loft with both quilts and have zero air gap——not me
    I ain’t that good
    First quilt put under hammock could be a 20* quilt
    It should lift the empty hammock 6 inches to a foot along entire length of quilt

Second quilt on outside could be a zero underquilt or your best 20* underquilt. It can smash the first underquilt. That sandwiched underquilt will have much less loft, but it will still insulate some—and it will expand to fill in and close most air gaps.

Wear a toboggan a goose down beanie, or both.

Top quilt should be rated at least 10* lower than low forecasted for that night

Rather than wearing a coat or fleece hoodie over all your other layers, ok to lay coat or hoodie over your torso. It’s easier to push off, when and if you get too hot. If you sweat enough to soak your clothes, then you might be cold until you change into dry clothes.

Apply Hot Hands body size patches to outside of your second layer shirt.

Ok to nest two top quilts, but probably not needed and can cause enough sweating to keep you cold all night

Last Phantom lie, I promise
    Get a small dog to sleep on your stomach

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    lelavoia, perhaps the drink aids more in keeping hydrated. If it contains electrolytes, so much the better.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    as soon as I read your post my first thoughts were, like everyone else that maybe you had too much on, but also is your underquilt properly fitted.
    only a couple of people mentioned that though.

to add to what phantom grappler says, it doesn't matter what order you stack quilts in, it's the total thickness of the insulation that matters (and again, be careful of air gaps)

When stacking top quilts, an overly confined foot box can have a similar effect as too many layers of socks, so be careful of overly compressing the insulation in the foot box. for this reason I put my 20 degree quilt that as the drawstring on the outside of my zero degree with the sewn foot box. this allows me to open up the drawstring to make sure the interior stays roomy and the down stays lofty.

I find that my feet sweat a lot more with wool socks, even the high price fancy ones that they sell at EMS so I try not to wear socks in bed anyway, I hate having anything on my feet.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Keep your toe nails trimmed.
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayArches View Post
    Thanks Cameron Family. Both top quilt and underquilt are rated for -20°F. I was cold all over, but my feet were the coldest. ........................
    WOW! Rated minus 20F and cold at +26F? That is about as extreme of a miss as I have seen. However, you are not all that different. This is probably like thread # 1000 over the years where people (not me, I have had pretty good luck) are cold in their quilts at temps way above what they had hoped to get to. Quilts can be tricky buggers. However, the good news is that sooner or later, most folks get things figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by mmveets View Post
    How did you manage when you tent camped to -40? What was your gear and clothing setup?
    That was also what I was wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayArches View Post
    Basically same clothes, plus a down hoodie instead of the flannel and two pairs of bison socks instead of one and sheep wool. And an enormously heavy sleeping bag that was rated for -40° and a thermal sleeping bag liner................
    Well, DO NOT forget head warmth/insulation that will be equal to the hood and/or collar on a mummy bag! It is unrealistic to expect a minus 20F quilt, even if you have a perfect gap and draft free fit and never lift up an edge while moving in your sleep, to match a minus 20F sleeping bag which included the insulation of the brain by way of it's thick hood and neck collar as an important part of the minus 20F rating. You must keep your head equally warm as a hooded mummy bag if you are going to sleep as warm in an equally thick quilt.

Well, you see all the other good advice from knowledgeable folks, who often times think too many clothes are the problem(I normally layer up myself, but I did have 1 night toasty at 25F with 25F rated JRB quilts on a JRB bridge hammock, wearing only cotton PJs and a separate JRB hood.) Also eating before bed, and jumping Jacks, hot water bottles, all the normal tricks of the trade. And make certain that your UQs are snug but not tight enough to flatten loft. And obviously NO gaps or drafts, if you can figure out how to do that.

But now I will go to my personal tricks that most don't use and some even hate:
    1: Vapor Barrier space blankets or better yet VB clothing. You will have to study up on it, because if you do it wrong, it will make matters worse. Done just right, it can add another 23º of warmth while keeping all body vapor out of your insulation where it can then condense in the outer down layer of your quilts. And this condensation can be followed quickly by being cold, or cold later as it adds up night after night. Then if this condensed liquid can later be evaporated by body heat and make you even colder ( it is known as "evaporative cooling", the means that ACs and swamp coolers work)

2: see this thread that I just started re: noobies who are still cold despite buying nice quilts. At least, look at it if you are serious about staying warm.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...and-tested-Pod
    EDIT: and of course, if you are unable to get your minus 20F quilts to even keep you warm enough at +26F, you can always combine the above techniques, as well as adding a CCF pad. So, pods + VBs + pads(which are already VBs) ought to get you to toasty, I would think. I have actually added CCF pads between my hammock and pod just for fun, and it worked pretty well. For sure stayed in place.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-05-2021 at 19:50.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As long as suggestions are being tossed in, an Under Quilt Protector (UQP) makes the UQ fit less critical. You still have to pay attention - it’s not a “Hands off the wheel” device - but it will cover the quilt ends. I use one because I switch hammocks and quilts and I can’t be in the hammock, and outside the hammock to check the fit, at the same time. Because of the additional wind blockage, it also adds a few degrees to the warmth rating - or rather, keeps the warmth that YOU make.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner
    Tarp
    MAC Cat
    Insulation
    Simply Light UQ
    Suspension
    SLD whoopies
    I agree with the rest of the bodies you’re over insulated just good enough to not be freezing when you climb in insulate your extremities your feet and your hands cover your head

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Keep your toe nails trimmed.
    Good advise!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Being an old, cold sleeper living in Montana and sleeping outside year round, I've found a few things that help keep me warm.
    1 - down booties worn over thin wool socks. It's also easy to make Climashield booties if you're a DIYer
    2 - a light fleece hat
    3 - thin capalene gloves

A lot of other modifications have gone into my sleeping systems and there has been much helpful info posted already that should warm you up.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast