Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Alas, we lost Cannibal last December. https://www.forevermissed.com/grant-doner/about
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Oh no!!! Was there a post here about it? If so I missed it. Either way, thanks for letting me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Sorry to hear this.
    I only met him in person once, briefly at a Trail days but had a lot of interaction with him on HF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Heavy heart here.

Shug
    WHAT? Oh no! Does anyone know what happened? He was pretty young, wasn't he?( I mean compared to me, 58 when I got here, 72 now)

Grant, or Cannibal, was the original human furnace. He used those original Yeti quilts, both down and synthetic, at way below zero F. Here is a picture of his testing of the prototype original Yeti with 4 removable layers of Climashield(I still have one), roughly 18-20 oz total weight. He is sound asleep in this early WB hammock, his Dad took this picture Christmas morning I think. It was close to zero F in Denver. He was using an old synthetic bag of his Dad's, I think as a quilt. You can see where his breath has been melting the snow on the bug net(no tarp). Like I said, a human furnace. RIP, Cannibal!

Never mind, I have been reading the Obit, and he was about 50 years old when he died. Very sad: "Grant left this world only days after receiving a diagnosis of Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Until just a few weeks earlier, he had not recognized symptoms or signs that he might be sick. He died just a few days after admission in an in patient hospice facility in Spokane.

Grant wished for memorial donations to be sent to the Shrine Children's Hospital in Memphis. He was very proud of his Masonic affiliation and firmly believed in their teachings as how to live as an upright and outstanding man.

Grant is survived by his parents, grandmother Esther Doner, wife Kris Doner, brother Benjamin Soler, and stepbrother Kelly Flack who was at his bedside his last days. Grant's only children were his animals that he loved so much."

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Its really fun to read some of the old threads here, as a newcomer myself.

Mostly it makes me glad you all developed the gear and techniques I take for granted now today! Part of me though feels wistful that I didnt get to take part in something new and cool like hammock camping. Still when I get in my nice Warbonnet and Loco Libre UQ all snuggled up the wistfulness fades away as the comfort creeps in.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    IRONFISH45 and I lurked for a long time before we started posting. IRONFISH45 started posting in maybe 2009 or 20010, somehow we both lost our account and had to start with new accounts in 20011 or 2012.

I see lots of familiar names, kind of nice to review how far Hanging has evolved. IRONFISH45 used HF as part of her recovery from a SCA and then a Stroke. HF kept her entertained and made her think and plan, as a consequence she fully recovered from her brush with death.

We started with ENO, paid like $9.99USD each for our first hammock, the tree straps were another $5.49 USD. Froze our butt off with first use. Finally a sheepskin, then Poncho Liner from the 1960's, then short quilts, finally we arrived at the splendid gear we have today, not only is it easy to stay warm, dry and comfortable but we have multiple choices.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    as a recent hammock convert, it's great to get a glimpse of this bit of history.

Also, here's the list of members by join date https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...&sort=joindate

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I see we passed the 15 year site anniversary last month. That’s pretty awesome.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I see we passed the 15 year site anniversary last month. That’s pretty awesome.

And I've been here for 14.83 years of that. Hard to believe.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Sure is good to see some of you folks here. I am saddened by the news of Cannibal.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    Searching
    Suspension
    Whatever
    I was here in UK all this time wild tent camping (99.9% illegal here in UK) and was gealous of "hangers". I wish I had someone like you guys to "push"me towards hammocking. 2 days ago I had my first night-out in my XLC and posted about it on my fb. The interest is enormous! You've made this ancient survival method to a trend! Thank you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    I am still enjoying the Forum as much as when I joined. I too am saddened about the news of Cannibal. Shared a very nice GTG at Burning Bear campground, in Co., and was very happy to meet all in attendance. I don't post much but try to keep up on the latest "news." Keep up the good work and Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I am very thankful for Hammock forums, it had a profound impact on the course of my life. I joined the old White Blaze Hammock forum back in 2005 and promptly jumped on the new Hammock Forums when it spun off in the fall of 2006.

It was on HF that I learned of the first MAHHA where I met a bunch of folks in person Including the Jacks. That lead me to a big section hike with the Jacks (Peter Pan & Smee) where we became fast friends and did several sections together over the next few years. Over the course of those section hikes, I ended up becoming the JRB gear tester and Peter Pan set the hook in me for another hobby, motorcycles!

The biggest change as a direct result of HF was being offered to purchase JRB when the Jacks we ready to retire.

All of that change because I was tired of sleeping on the ground!
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast