Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

"On the diagonal"

More randomness from my brain:

Many of us have said it or though it when talking underquilts.

But go lie in your hammock and try to tell me you actually get more length from a UQ since you're lying diagonally. It just doesn't seem to work like that, opposed to lying diagonally on a mattress where you'll pick up quite a bit of space.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I get more length on one calf and the opposite side of my face.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    More randomness from my brain:

Many of us have said it or though it when talking underquilts.

But go lie in your hammock and try to tell me you actually get more length from a UQ since you're lying diagonally. It just doesn't seem to work like that, opposed to lying diagonally on a mattress where you'll pick up quite a bit of space.
    The key is the 'bias' in the suspension, with the head side snugged a little tighter on its respective side and the same on the foot side. Shug has this in his YT video on HG UQ adjustment. So yes, I do get more length from mine on the diagonal.

After that one brief video I've never had any issues at all with UQs and I don't use quilt hooks or any other gizmos on the hammock, whether shortie or full-length. With the shorties I toss a little CCF pad into the TQ footbox in the event of CHS... cold heel syndrome.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I tried that and didn't like it. I been using my short LL for the last month, nightly, and find that if I have it set that way then I really have more of it down the side of only one leg. So I started pulling tighter the side my feet are not going to. That seems to give me a better balance on what part of my body gets the insulation under it.
    I also discovered that I can use the back/sit pad out of the GGG to hold the footbox open. When I first started using a pad, soon after getting here as I've definitely been pushing the lower limits of these quilts, I used a pad that was too wide and it pulled the quilt down hard on my toes and they got cold. I then changed pads to the one from the GGG which was narrower but also longer. I didn't need it farther up my legs so I curved it up over my toes. It has just enough springback that it holds the footbox open and really comfy.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I tried that and didn't like it. I been using my short LL for the last month, nightly, and find that if I have it set that way then I really have more of it down the side of only one leg. So I started pulling tighter the side my feet are not going to. That seems to give me a better balance on what part of my body gets the insulation under it.
    I also discovered that I can use the back/sit pad out of the GGG to hold the footbox open. When I first started using a pad, soon after getting here as I've definitely been pushing the lower limits of these quilts, I used a pad that was too wide and it pulled the quilt down hard on my toes and they got cold. I then changed pads to the one from the GGG which was narrower but also longer. I didn't need it farther up my legs so I curved it up over my toes. It has just enough springback that it holds the footbox open and really comfy.
    Whatever works consistently for you!

Problems with UQs seem to outnumber all other hammock issues... calf ridge has got to be a close second.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Alex over at Sheltowee and Jeremy(Bonefire) have figured it out for me. Asym cut and full length sewn UQ. Flatter, warmer more comfortable lay than my every night at home goto, and has eliminated all of the above. At just under 2lbs.

Don't give up. I think that most every type of hammock has it's sweet spot. I found mine. You'll find yours. HYOH
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts