Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock mounted pet tent

This project took way too long with my rudimentary sewing skills. It turned out pretty well but there's a lot I would change if (when) I make another. It zips down 2 sides with a shock cord opener. There's an attached footprint with an insulated pad repurposed from a thrift store windshield sun screen.

IMG_20211031_121532.jpg
    IMG_20211031_122749.jpg
    IMG_20211031_133313.jpg
    IMG_20211031_123103.jpg
    IMG_20211031_121526.jpg

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Kudos for the DIY effort. I made something very similar. Then I came across an inexpensive Amazon, probably china, Alcott Pup Tent that is surprising light weight. https://www.amazon.com/alcott-Pup-Te...F%2CB08DF4R2KQ

It has worked well for me. I also have some aluminum arrow pieces that I put just in the top and suspend from the hammock, tree, or poles in lieu of the fiberglass poles. Somewhere I have pics on this forum of it in use.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    WOW, nice effort! Rudimentary sewing skills or not, that's pretty slick & well done.

Thank you, it was a very fun project. I wish I had taken progress photos but it's tough to remember when you really get going on something. I used 1.1oz ripstop nylon for the main body and a piece of rainfly from a thrift store coleman tent for the footprint. I wonder if the carbon arrow shafts could be used as spanners across the top to give a little more space in lieu of the tipi shape. I was trying to keep everything compact as my dog (Frisco) will be carrying this in his pack. Right now the whole tent packs down to fit into one of his bottle sleeves.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Thank you, it was a very fun project. I wish I had taken progress photos but it's tough to remember when you really get going on something. I used 1.1oz ripstop nylon for the main body and a piece of rainfly from a thrift store coleman tent for the footprint. I wonder if the carbon arrow shafts could be used as spanners across the top to give a little more space in lieu of the tipi shape. I was trying to keep everything compact as my dog (Frisco) will be carrying this in his pack. Right now the whole tent packs down to fit into one of his bottle sleeves.
    My pup carries all his stuff in his dog pack too when we go out but he doesn't have his own shelter. I'm not 100% sure he'd stay in his own separate shelter, especially during a storm... he's afraid of thunder!

On your next outing, you should take a few pics of his shelter setup deployed & stowed in his pack ready for the trail.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock 15 degree
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Wow! That looks like you have awesome sewing skills! I'd be scared to see what mine would look like if I tried.

I have a shelter for my shepherd that has walls on 3 sides. I'm not sure she sleeps in it though. She seems to like to keep watch out in the open. I don't have a picture of my dog in it, but my kids use it for our day hikes. This is what it looks like. Light and easy to fold up.

DSC00125.jpg
    Hiking my own hike and hanging my own hang. This is where my happy is!
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    My pup carries all his stuff in his dog pack too when we go out but he doesn't have his own shelter. I'm not 100% sure he'd stay in his own separate shelter, especially during a storm... he's afraid of thunder!

On your next outing, you should take a few pics of his shelter setup deployed & stowed in his pack ready for the trail.
    Frisco seems to do better in a smaller space... He absolutely does not like a large tent, especially in a storm. We'll see, I might need to make a larger version as this one is a little tight.

IMG_20211031_121526.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pippi View Post
    Wow! That looks like you have awesome sewing skills! I'd be scared to see what mine would look like if I tried.

I have a shelter for my shepherd that has walls on 3 sides. I'm not sure she sleeps in it though. She seems to like to keep watch out in the open. I don't have a picture of my dog in it, but my kids use it for our day hikes. This is what it looks like. Light and easy to fold up.

DSC00125.jpg
    Thanks, it's hard to see all of the accidents I had to rip and resew in the pictures. Lol

I made a stuff sack for his tent today along with some finish work on his pack. The tent, sack, suspension and extra guy line weighs in at 7˝oz. I sewed the stuff sack to fit his bottle holder but it packs down to about the size of a baseball.

IMG_20211107_140036.jpg
    IMG_20211107_140435.jpg
    IMG_20211107_140440.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I made a stuff sack for his tent today along with some finish work on his pack. The tent, sack, suspension and extra guy line weighs in at 7˝oz. I sewed the stuff sack to fit his bottle holder but it packs down to about the size of a baseball.
    Nice work! Looks like you guys are ready to hit the trail!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast